Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   What have you done to your truck today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1004055-what-have-you-done-to-your-truck-today.html)

FordFETruck 11-08-2012 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by TheKirbyMan (Post 12463591)
About to go put some gas in the truck and run some errands.

Did the price of gas go way up the first day after the election down there?

I'm about to head out and do some errands in my dads truck lol guess I'll find out if it did here or not.

TheKirbyMan 11-08-2012 02:00 PM

I haven't even checked. I drive the Cavalier alot more than my truck so I don't see gas stations too much. lol

I usually put like $10 in the truck on payday and drive it til I get close to empty. One day soon I'll fill it up full and take it out of town. Been way too long since I've done that.

FordFETruck 11-08-2012 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by TheKirbyMan (Post 12463635)
I haven't even checked. I drive the Cavalier alot more than my truck so I don't see gas stations too much. lol

I usually put like $10 in the truck on payday and drive it til I get close to empty. One day soon I'll fill it up full and take it out of town. Been way too long since I've done that.

How long does that $10 last you? $10 here right now would get me about 30 miles. LOL.

TheKirbyMan 11-08-2012 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by FordFETruck (Post 12463646)
How long does that $10 last you?

About 30 miles. lol

I haven't really paid too much attention to it since I don't drive it much but I do think it's a little better now that I'm running the MSD box. Doesn't help though that my sending unit is shot.

FordFETruck 11-08-2012 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by TheKirbyMan (Post 12464112)
About 30 miles. lol

I haven't really paid too much attention to it since I don't drive it much but I do think it's a little better now that I'm running the MSD box. Doesn't help though that my sending unit is shot.

I think I would probably get better mpg if I drove it longer instead of just around this town a mile or two at a time lol. With all the short trips I seem to get 10-11 mpg.

That is of course, when there's no metal shavings in the engine.

Boy did that make me mad when I saw that, I'll get it figured out though lol.

bruno2 11-08-2012 08:24 PM

I think Whitey may be having some low voltage issues. One of the batteries load tested a little on the weak side. I had something electronic go haywire a couple weeks ago and he left me on the side of the road. I cleaned up the terminals and posts on both batteries and that seemed to clear it up. He was cranking slow like I was losing a battery. The clean up seemed to help. The cranking went back to normal,but a couple days later the starter wouldnt throw the Bendix gear out. I had to hit it with a hammer to get it to start.Now the Bendix gear still wont engage unless someone is hitting it with a hammer. I replaced the starter a couple of months ago with another free China rebuild. I really feel like this weak battery may be causing the problem and not so much the starter. I guess I need to go warranty the batteries and see if the problem clears up before I begin changing starters.

Gary Lewis 11-08-2012 09:49 PM

Lots easier to change batteries than starters.

FordFETruck 11-08-2012 10:12 PM

I haven't looked too closely, but how do I remove the heater core plastic cover on the engine bay side? do I need to take the glove box out and get to it that way?

85lebaront2 11-08-2012 10:13 PM

You also need to get a good starter, not a China rebuild. The two approaches to lifetime warranties are 1 make so good it never fails or 2 make so cheap you can eat a lot of them. The second approach is the one most parts sources take. They don't have to change the damn things.

bruno2 11-09-2012 06:10 AM

I agree Bill, I think next time I am going with Motorcraft parts. Even if it doesnt have a lifetime warranty maybe it will last 6 or 7 yrs.

1986F150six 11-09-2012 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by bruno2 (Post 12465840)
I agree Bill, I think next time I am going with Motorcraft parts. Even if it doesnt have a lifetime warranty maybe it will last 6 or 7 yrs.

I replaced the original Motorcraft starter on my truck this past year [26 years old].

My son's 1984 F150 still has the original starter [28 years].

Go FORD!!! :)

truckertrav 11-09-2012 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by 85lebaront2 (Post 12465284)
You also need to get a good starter, not a China rebuild. The two approaches to lifetime warranties are 1 make so good it never fails or 2 make so cheap you can eat a lot of them. The second approach is the one most parts sources take. They don't have to change the damn things.

Very good Words of Wisdom..
Thank you, Bill, for telling it like it is...

Dad used to say,"Amen and pass the cornbread"......Trav..:-X04

85lebaront2 11-09-2012 07:09 AM

Bruno, you could try calling 1-800-234-5665 and ask for Matt. See what he has available, it won't be Motorcraft, but they are pretty good parts.

FordFETruck 11-09-2012 10:21 PM

Today I pulled my fuel pump off, nothing chewed up on the eccentric or timing chain, gonna pull a valve cover off next.

TheKirbyMan 11-09-2012 10:26 PM

Washed the truck and hit the engine with some Engine Brite. Can't really tell how well it worked since it was about dark when I cleaned it.

Also went by the muffler shop earlier today and asked how much it'd cost to put a little glasspack on. $60. Noooo thanks.