Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   What have you done to your truck today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1004055-what-have-you-done-to-your-truck-today.html)

Ken Blythen 11-02-2012 06:03 PM

I can only go by my own experience.......but I've always had good quality products, good prices, & good service from them.
And the most economical freight costs too.

What brand were the lifters?

bruno2 11-02-2012 06:26 PM

Thats funny because this is the second or third bad part/wrong part from Rockauto that I have heard about in this section over the last 60 days. I think maybe we should post up a link to their email and our members send them some "act right" messages.

TheKirbyMan 11-02-2012 06:45 PM

I removed the DSII harness from my truck today. The MSD box uses only one wire from the truck's main harness (the red one that's hot in start and run), so everything else was no longer needed.

I would like to eventually get a new pickup for the distributor though, since the current one's wires are so brittle that they break easily. Rewiring them to work with the MSD box was a pain as a result. That or get a new MSD distributor.

1983F1503004x4 11-02-2012 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by bruno2 (Post 12443244)
Thats funny because this is the second or third bad part/wrong part from Rockauto that I have heard about in this section over the last 60 days. I think maybe we should post up a link to their email and our members send them some "act right" messages.

It wouldn't do you or them any good to send them an "act right" message when all they are is a parts supplier, not a parts manufacturer.

They sent me the right parts and they arrived well within the 7-10 business days rule. In reality, all parts were here in 3-4 business days, which is on par with past results when ordering from them.

They can't help the parts were defective.

Originally Posted by Ken Blythen (Post 12443167)
I can only go by my own experience.......but I've always had good quality products, good prices, & good service from them.
And the most economical freight costs too.

What brand were the lifters?

DJN Engine Components, is the company IIRC. Part number LIF4137 was on the boxes.

We've always had good experiences with them too, and I'll continue to order from them in the future. The service department that was spoken with earlier today about shipping the defective parts back had a very nice man on the phone who is willing to jump through hoops on command for me. He also informed me that he would be the only one dealing with my order and that he would take care of me individually, not as "just another guy needed a good part". This stands out as a quality company to me.

Originally Posted by Sw1tchfoot (Post 12443127)
Good luck with RockAuto. Make sure you have a tracking number, and be prepared to have to contact them before they send you the new parts.

You can bookmark this if you end up needing it: United States and Canada BBB Consumer and Business Reviews, Reports, Ratings, Complaints and Accredited Business Listings

I have contacted them, and have the shipping labels as well as the old tracking numbers. The man from the service department said to give him a call when I was ready to ship back the defective parts. I will NOT be reporting them to the BBB, as they've been nothing but good to me and my family.

All in all, I think I've worked out a solution for the defective lifters, but the alternator is definitely going back.

I've narrowed down the problem with the defective lifters to the check valve on the plunger assembly inside the body of the lifter. So, I'll do each lifter one at a time, and swap the known, good check valve and plunger assemblies from the old lifters into the new ones. The only wear parts that I need to concern myself with are the body that rides on the cam lobe and the socket that the push rods set in, and those won't be swapped. By swapping the check valve and plunger assemblies to known, working units, I'll expect every one of them to oil like the BP Gulf spill!

I'll be back to fiddling with it EARLY tomorrow, so expect an update fellas. :)

ctubutis 11-02-2012 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by 1983F1503004x4 (Post 12443379)
I'll be back to fiddling with it EARLY tomorrow, so expect an update fellas. :)

I thought your ass hurt and you're taking some time off. ;)

1983F1503004x4 11-02-2012 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by ctubutis (Post 12443778)
I thought your ass hurt and you're taking some time off. ;)

It still hurts, but now I'm invigorated! }>

FordFETruck 11-02-2012 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by 1983F1503004x4 (Post 12443988)
It still hurts, but now I'm motivated! }>

I fixed it for you }>

Wagonboy 11-03-2012 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by TheKirbyMan (Post 12443338)
I removed the DSII harness from my truck today. The MSD box uses only one wire from the truck's main harness (the red one that's hot in start and run), so everything else was no longer needed.

I would like to eventually get a new pickup for the distributor though, since the current one's wires are so brittle that they break easily. Rewiring them to work with the MSD box was a pain as a result. That or get a new MSD distributor.

I Use MSD - 8869 - Adapter Cable - Ford Duraspark to MSD 6 or 7 Ignition Control\

Summit racing has one, too.

1983F1503004x4 11-03-2012 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by FordFETruck (Post 12443992)
I fixed it for you }>

LOL.

Well, upside is that earlier I was able to get some touching up done to my motor. New paint makes it look a whole lot better. Still haven't painted the block and heads themselves, as well as the oil pan, because they're covered in caked up grime.

Downside is that the check valve retainer and check valve return springs in the OEM lifters and the new lifters are two different sizes. So I can't swap plungers and check valves to get the new ones to work, so they're going back. Meanwhile, I've got my push rods in an egg carton and my cam is wondering why it's seeing daylight for the first time in 29 years.

The OEM lifters that were in my truck also have a different type of check valve. They use a flapper with a spring, whereas the new ones use a ball bearing and spring.

Well, now she'll sit lifeless for a week or so. I hate that too, I like my truck to RUN.

SideWinder4.9l 11-03-2012 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dorsai (Post 12442330)
Installed a new (to me, anyway) dash pad in my '80 F-150. What a difference! My old one was cracked and split around the speaker grille, not to mention grainy and discolored on the passenger side. The 'new' one has smooth, intact vinyl, and only the mildest of fading on the color.

I keep the truck garaged for the most part, but I'd still like to do something to protect the vinyl from further degradation. What do folks recommend for this purpose?

I do not recommend products with Silicone....Think Armor All, etc in terms of what to stray from...

I like the Turtle Wax Cleaning/Protectant cloths...

truckertrav 11-04-2012 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis (Post 12438960)
Bill/Trav - That schematic just shows the choke relay being pulled in by the alternator and placing battery voltage to the choke. I don't see anything that would reduce the voltage after a length of time like Trav is seeing.

I don't know what causes the voltage to drop, but it does and BTW the choke works perfectly..

No problems,winter or summer.....

Chris replied that it was probably added on by the PO but alas it came on the truck from the factory....

One of the MANY mystery sagas of FOMOCO....Trav...

truckertrav 11-04-2012 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by 85lebaront2 (Post 12439629)
Gary/Trav, it could be that the relay contacts are going bad and the load of the choke heater causes the voltage to drop off. I would also look at the connector itself, after 27 years they can lose tension or corrode. That also might not be the correct relay. From the diagram a Bosch relay will work just fine in place of it. Gotta love these stopgap emission jobs that Detroit used in the late 70s through mid-80s.

Sorry about being out of pocket for a day or two..
Thank you, Bill, for the diagrams..I don't understand all the stuff about it, but it works like it is supposed to work..

I was just curious how it worked...Seems to be one of those deals that Ford used if it had a certain engine,tranny,or body color, or made on a certain day of the week....Trav..}>

Gary Lewis 11-04-2012 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by truckertrav (Post 12450346)
Sorry about being out of pocket for a day or two..
Thank you, Bill, for the diagrams..I don't understand all the stuff about it, but it works like it is supposed to work..

I was just curious how it worked...Seems to be one of those deals that Ford used if it had a certain engine,tranny,or body color, or made on a certain day of the week....Trav..}>

Shame on you for having a life other than FTE! }>

I still don't understand how it works, but am glad it does. There seem to be things on these trucks that were done in an obtuse way because they had the parts to do it that way but not in a straightforward way. For instance, the ICVR: Cheap, cheerful, and sorta works. Some engineer probably got an award for coming up with it, and then smirked as he thought about us trying to figure out how it works.

truckertrav 11-04-2012 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis (Post 12450447)
Shame on you for having a life other than FTE! }>

I still don't understand how it works, but am glad it does. There seem to be things on these trucks that were done in an obtuse way because they had the parts to do it that way but not in a straightforward way. For instance, the ICVR: Cheap, cheerful, and sorta works. Some engineer probably got an award for coming up with it, and then smirked as he thought about us trying to figure out how it works.

I think that the engineer that came up with ideas on the choke relay and the ICVR were probably on something other than prescription meds..

That was before drug testing became mandatory....}>

But I did some sandblasting today on one side of the bed of my pickup and actually got some primer on it...One piece at a time....

I couldn't stand for long, so I ended up sitting down on a 5 gal bucket and blasted away....Whatever works....Turned out ok...a little bit of sanding(when rest is blasted) more primer, more sanding,etc,etc.....

1983F1503004x4 11-05-2012 11:28 AM

Satisfied.

RockAuto is sending me new lifters! Gave 'em a call today and they don't even want the old ones back, but they'll be sending a return label for the alternator so they can ship me a new one of those back. Should have the new lifters by Thursday or Friday.