Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   What have you done to your truck today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1004055-what-have-you-done-to-your-truck-today.html)

bruno2 11-01-2012 07:58 PM

Gary and I spent a day comparing the two carbs. Gary has quite a bit of info and specs for both the 1405 and 1406. He can show you the differences. The venturis are even different.

Edelbrock considers the 1406 to be an economy carb wnere the 1405 is listed as a performance carb. A lot of people think the electric choke is the difference,but,it isnt the only difference.

FordFETruck 11-01-2012 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by bruno2 (Post 12439492)
Gary and I spent a day comparing the two carbs. Gary has quite a bit of info and specs for both the 1405 and 1406. He can show you the differences. The venturis are even different.

Edelbrock considers the 1406 to be an economy carb wnere the 1405 is listed as a performance carb. A lot of people think the electric choke is the difference,but,it isnt the only difference.

Yeah I knew the 1405 was a performance carb, I thought all that was really different was the choke and jet/rod combo.

85lebaront2 11-01-2012 08:24 PM

What have you done to your truck today?

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis (Post 12438960)
Bill/Trav - That schematic just shows the choke relay being pulled in by the alternator and placing battery voltage to the choke. I don't see anything that would reduce the voltage after a length of time like Trav is seeing.

Gary/Trav, it could be that the relay contacts are going bad and the load of the choke heater causes the voltage to drop off. I would also look at the connector itself, after 27 years they can lose tension or corrode. That also might not be the correct relay. From the diagram a Bosch relay will work just fine in place of it. Gotta love these stopgap emission jobs that Detroit used in the late 70s through mid-80s.

1983F1503004x4 11-01-2012 09:14 PM

Replaced the voltage regulator and still waiting on the alternator to come in.

Cranked the truck with the new lifters and regulator and good news is that my idiot light has gone off and idling the truck will charge at 14.20 volts! Outstanding, if I do say so myself.

The bad news is that my lifters aren't allowing oil to the top of my push-rods to oil the rockers. I think my new lifters are plugged, as it wasn't doing this until the lifters were changed out.

So, got to tear EVERYTHING back apart again and pull the new lifters out to see if I can clean them out and get them un-plugged. I'm hoping it's just packing grease.

The other upside was that the motor was QUIET. The only thing I could hear was the carburetor drawing air and the water pump going "ching ching ching ching".

FordFETruck 11-01-2012 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by 1983F1503004x4 (Post 12439934)
Replaced the voltage regulator and still waiting on the alternator to come in.

Cranked the truck with the new lifters and regulator and good news is that my idiot light has gone off and idling the truck will charge at 14.20 volts! Outstanding, if I do say so myself.

The bad news is that my lifters aren't allowing oil to the top of my push-rods to oil the rockers. I think my new lifters are plugged, as it wasn't doing this until the lifters were changed out.

So, got to tear EVERYTHING back apart again and pull the new lifters out to see if I can clean them out and get them un-plugged. I'm hoping it's just packing grease.

The other upside was that the motor was QUIET. The only thing I could hear was the carburetor drawing air and the water pump going "ching ching ching ching".

Don't forget the gas gauge going caching caching caching! lol

Gary Lewis 11-01-2012 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by 85lebaront2 (Post 12439629)
Gary/Trav, it could be that the relay contacts are going bad and the load of the choke heater causes the voltage to drop off. I would also look at the connector itself, after 27 years they can lose tension or corrode. That also might not be the correct relay. From the diagram a Bosch relay will work just fine in place of it. Gotta love these stopgap emission jobs that Detroit used in the late 70s through mid-80s.

That might be it, but it seemed like a timed thing. Someone said some of the relays were controlled by the computer, but that one wasn't. Maybe it is the connectors or the relay's points.

Yeah, the engineers really got creative back then. Bandaid on top of Bandaid on top of Bandaid. Looking at in from this vantage point it is hard to see how they got it so .... messed up, but it happened one step at a time.

bruno2 11-01-2012 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by FordFETruck (Post 12439506)
Yeah I knew the 1405 was a performance carb, I thought all that was really different was the choke and jet/rod combo.

Thats exactly what I was thinking too. So I bought a strip kit for the 1406 and went out to Gary's in order to change it over to the way the 1405 is set up. After a couple of hours of messing with it we found out that wasnt going to happen.

Gary Lewis 11-01-2012 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by bruno2 (Post 12440301)
Thats exactly what I was thinking too. So I bought a strip kit for the 1406 and went out to Gary's in order to change it over to the way the 1405 is set up. After a couple of hours of messing with it we found out that wasnt going to happen.

But, if you need a 1405 I think I have one. Or maybe two. Haven't looked to see what they are, but have been looking for a source of metering rods to cut apart and solder back together, and may have just found it! }>

And, come to think of it, I have a extra pickup, and an engine, and a couple of transmissions a t-cases and...... But I digress.

FordFETruck 11-02-2012 12:40 AM

Here's some pictures of my latest project.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ctureid=113733 Before and after sanding the deteriorated flakey stuff off, when I got to the big panels I got wise and used a brass wire brush then sand paper, works way faster.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ctureid=113732

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/m...e113731-a.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ctureid=113730
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ctureid=113729

All of the panels looked like the un sanded tan one, they were UGLY. Once I wire brushed them they were blue again, then I degreased them twice, sprayed them with brake cleaner and wiped them down. Then I painted them with that Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric paint. Some parts where it was less deteriorated is darker, but that's mostly behind the seat where you don't see it when the seat it in the normal position.

BUST OUT ANOTHA THOUSAND!

4x4falcon 11-02-2012 03:20 AM

Started a rebuild of my 1986 F100 4x4, Effii.

Thread here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...s-rebuilt.html

Actually it was yesterday.

Cheers
Ross

Dorsai 11-02-2012 01:43 PM

Installed a new (to me, anyway) dash pad in my '80 F-150. What a difference! My old one was cracked and split around the speaker grille, not to mention grainy and discolored on the passenger side. The 'new' one has smooth, intact vinyl, and only the mildest of fading on the color.

I keep the truck garaged for the most part, but I'd still like to do something to protect the vinyl from further degradation. What do folks recommend for this purpose?

00Boss 11-02-2012 01:51 PM

Need to rebuild carb but I think im startin to get enough flow that itll be alright.

1983F1503004x4 11-02-2012 04:18 PM

New alternator is bad, won't charge at ALL. Going back to RockAuto.

New lifters are also bad. Ended up pulling every one of them apart, as you couldn't pump them up with a push rod. Got them put back together and they mysteriously will pump up.

Put them back in the truck, buttoned em down and cranked it up and it still won't let them oil the rocker arms. You can adjust them and play with them while the motor is running and get oil to the top. Turn it off, crank it back up, and not one of them will oil at all.

Got to put the lifters back in their boxes and send them back too. They're going to be replaced with new parts per one of RockAuto's service people and they'll ship the new ones back to me, as well as a new alternator.

Tired. My back end and legs hurt, and my back hurts as well. I'm done for a day or two.

FordFETruck 11-02-2012 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by 1983F1503004x4 (Post 12442897)

New lifters are also bad. Ended up pulling every one of them apart, as you couldn't pump them up with a push rod. Got them put back together and they mysteriously will pump up.

Put them back in the truck, buttoned em down and cranked it up and it still won't let them oil the rocker arms. You can adjust them and play with them while the motor is running and get oil to the top. Turn it off, crank it back up, and not one of them will oil at all.

Got to put the lifters back in their boxes and send them back too. They're going to be replaced with new parts per one of RockAuto's service people and they'll ship the new ones back to me, as well as a new alternator.

Tired. My back end and legs hurt, and my back hurts as well. I'm done for a day or two.

That is why I've never bought anything from RockAuto. I always like to buy stuff in person at an auto parts store.

Sw1tchfoot 11-02-2012 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by 1983F1503004x4 (Post 12442897)

Good luck with RockAuto. Make sure you have a tracking number, and be prepared to have to contact them before they send you the new parts.

You can bookmark this if you end up needing it: United States and Canada BBB Consumer and Business Reviews, Reports, Ratings, Complaints and Accredited Business Listings