Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   is there away to adjust the gear shifter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1003441-is-there-away-to-adjust-the-gear-shifter.html)

twisstedex 10-22-2010 11:27 AM

is there away to adjust the gear shifter

my reverse lights and back up alarm will not ingage unless i hold up on the shifter while in reverse the only thing i found was a adjuster for the indicator .any one else have this prob

jh818 10-22-2010 02:21 PM

Maybe you need to replace the bushings for the shifter?

wallz 10-22-2010 02:47 PM

I would take off the covers on the column and take a look at the bolts holding everything down. You may find some loose causing the issues.

Toreador_Diesel 10-22-2010 04:49 PM

1. Move your driver seat all the way back
2. Remove the lower dash (4 thumbscrews)
3. Chock the wheels and set the parking brake
4. Get your keys and turn it to the first position
5. Drop the shift lever into 1st
6. Lay on your back and look up while gently moving the gear shift and you'll notice two brass colored screws that are either loose if not about to fall out.
7. R&R the two torx screws with some loctite and never worry about the problem again. Worked for me!

gr8scott72 10-22-2010 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel (Post 9470314)
6. Lay on your back and look up while gently moving the gear shift and you'll notice two brass colored screws that are either loose if not about to fall out.
7. R&R the two torx screws with some loctite and never worry about the problem again. Worked for me!

I did this to mine recently but without doing steps 3, 4, or 5.

One of those two screws had fallen all the way out and my truck wouldn't shift into park at all.

sddesigns 10-23-2010 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is what they look like! The two brass colored screws directly up from my finger, don't remove both screws, if they are loose tighten up one, then remove the other put a drop of red Lock-Tite on it, then tighten that one down, and repeat on the other one.

StickMonkey 03-13-2011 03:49 PM

Steps worked perfectly. Need a T30 torx head.

dockrocker 11-17-2011 10:54 AM

Does this tighten up a "loose" gear level? The shifter on my 2000 is wobblier than a politician on election day....

sddesigns 11-17-2011 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by dockrocker (Post 11048091)
Does this tighten up a "loose" gear level? The shifter on my 2000 is wobblier than a politician on election day....

It might, I know mine was tough to get in park, and they both were ready to fall out. But I still have some play and I'm gonna be replacing the Transmission Shift Position switch this weekend.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...D/5266d94a.jpg

I did PB Blast it and it already seems to be a little better, and it might also just be the cable needs some lube.

Misky6.0 11-17-2011 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel (Post 9470314)

It took me 3 attempts before I figured out where to look.....
I kept looking up under the steering column under the wheel,
I even removed the lower cover on the steering column.... :-hair

Finally I stuck my head down by the brake pedal and
look BACK up the steering column. THEN I found it.
After I tightened those 2 torx screws my shifter is much better. :-jammin

Thanks for this info!

dockrocker 11-18-2011 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Misky6.0 (Post 11048492)
It took me 3 attempts before I figured out where to look.....
I kept looking up under the steering column under the wheel,
I even removed the lower cover on the steering column.... :-hair

Finally I stuck my head down by the brake pedal and
look BACK up the steering column. THEN I found it.
After I tightened those 2 torx screws my shifter is much better. :-jammin

Thanks for this info!

And thank you for that update - I stuck my head in there this morning and could not for the life of me find those screws. Will give it another shot later today!

dockrocker 11-28-2011 03:15 PM

Got in there, found the screws, both are nice and tight but I still have a lot of play in the shift lever. Not sure what to do at this point, so I guess I'll just live with it.

Misky6.0 11-28-2011 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by dockrocker (Post 11089221)
Got in there, found the screws, both are nice and tight but I still have a lot of play in the shift lever. Not sure what to do at this point, so I guess I'll just live with it.

Cool, glad I'm not the only one that was baffled (or spoke up!) :-huh

Mine only wiggles a little bit now before it felt like it'd fall off.

Dan Reinbold 11-29-2011 07:44 AM

Same here, I tightened those torx bolts real tight. Still have a wobbly selector. I'll dig into it when I find the time.

Excursion4X4 12-01-2011 10:26 PM

Just tightened mine up today. Had one most of the way out, and a loose shifter. Now both are good and tight and the shifter is almost like new!