Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1978 - 1996 Big Bronco (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum44/)
-   -   Gas smell in cab (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1002477-gas-smell-in-cab.html)

vtjvt 10-18-2010 11:41 PM

Gas smell in cab

Ok I have tried searching and can't find my specific problem so Here goes.
1990 bronco 5.8 liter.
When I am going down the road and get on the throttle hard I have a bad gas smell inside the bronco when I let off the throttle. smells like raw gas. It doesn't happen with normal driving. I also get gassed out when I am bouncing around offroad. it gets worse the harder i push it. I can't find any leaks there is no gas in the oil or exhaust. It runs great just stinks. any ideas??

g_k50 10-19-2010 01:20 AM

Are the windows rolled up?

is there a hole in the floor? Out back above the fuel tank where somebody thought it was a good idea to make it easier to remove and replace the fuel pump instead of dropping the tank?

That's two ideas?

vtjvt 10-19-2010 06:48 AM

No holes in the floor that I can find. and windows up or down still smells. I wonder if the fuel pump isn't sealed all the way.

gjnicholas 10-19-2010 12:05 PM

mine was like that after i changed the fule sender float it turned out i didnot get a good seal hard to see where it was coming from had to get under and feel the sensor to find it

greystreak92 10-19-2010 06:51 PM

Check the fuel rail and regulator for signs of leaks. Remember, EFI is under 35-40 PSI during normal operation.

Encho 10-19-2010 09:38 PM

How is your exhaust doing these days? if you own a Bronco, the exit of the exhaust should be behind the rear passenger side's wheel, facing the side, not the rear. If by some coincidense it's facing the real that could be the cause of the smell (you still have some other issue to work out first). Bad combustion of the fuel (if the smell actually comes from the exhaust) could be caused by a dead cylinder or fouled spark-plugs.

vtjvt 10-19-2010 11:30 PM

Exhaust is only a year old and exits in the stock location. Engine is running fine It just passed the emissions test 3 weeks ago with flying colors.
Thanks for all the input so far. keep the ideas coming I am hoping to get a few minutes tomorrow after work to check some of the areas mentioned.

greystreak92 10-20-2010 12:22 PM

Hold on are you smell fuel or exhaust?

vtjvt 10-20-2010 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by greystreak92 (Post 9461352)
Hold on are you smell fuel or exhaust?

Fuel.
I just crawled under it again, I still can't see anything out of the ordinary. Maybe I will just drop the tank for a better look.

greystreak92 10-20-2010 08:05 PM

Ok. I was beginning to think I had misread your original post. If the smell is coming into the cab, I'd be more concerned about a leak in the engine bay or even at the filter which is directly beneath you (driver) on the frame rail.

vtjvt 10-20-2010 08:52 PM

Just spent a hour crawling all over the bronco. I can't find a sign of a fuel leak anywhere. tank is dry, lines and filter are dry, injectors are also bone dry. I tested the pressure regulator and it holds vacuum great.
Is there a vent of check valve in the tank?? With normal everyday driving I don't have any problem. I am sick of getting a headache when out playing. Thank god I quit Smoking. :)

vtjvt 10-20-2010 09:08 PM

The reason I ask about the vent is because there is a "T" in the top of the tank. 1 line runs up towards the front, I am assuming to the vapor canister the other runs to the back by the bumper and is capped off. I pulled the cap and tried blowing into it and it is plugged

g_k50 10-21-2010 12:11 AM

There is a vent cap, should have a hose that runs up to the engine compartment, It's for vapor recovery emissions control. it's a vacuum line not a pressure line, if you suck on it it should give, but don't suck too much.

There should be two lines coming offf the fuel pump, one for supply one return gas to tank. Pictures of the tank are in my garage.

g_k50 10-21-2010 12:13 AM

Two of the three holes in the tank are seen here, this is looking at the front of the tank.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=20216

Filler hole is to the right out of sight.

vtjvt 10-21-2010 07:55 PM

Well crawled all over her again. Still can't find the fuel problem. On a positive note I found one of my vacuum canisters had a big hole in it which = big vacuum leak. Fixed that and my trans shifts normal now. and she runs alot better (imagine that).