Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Flathead V8 & Flathead 6 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum57/)
-   -   Flathead start-up trial (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1000823-flathead-start-up-trial.html)

texasguy 10-13-2010 08:04 AM

Flathead start-up trial

'48 F5. Recent purchase and want to check condition of motor. Not sure if it runs although PO had evidently put in a new fuel pump, rebuilt carb, all fluids look fairly recent. Due to situation of the PO and lack of info from the family, not sure if the truck actually ran recently or he had just attempted to get it running. What would you check or do before attempting a re-start?

Beechkid 10-15-2010 06:44 PM

Pull the oil pan and look for general condition.....pull the carb and look down the intake for cleanliness/obstruction, etc

arctic y block 10-15-2010 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Beechkid (Post 9444236)
Pull the oil pan and look for general condition.....pull the carb and look down the intake for cleanliness/obstruction, etc

Good info. I would at least pull the carb and make sure no mice or kids got anything in there.

517ed682-6fce-440f-b20d-c8c3f22210df

texasguy 11-03-2010 10:44 AM

thanks guys. I pulled the carb - everything looks fine - no rat evidence - the air cleaner has remained on the engine and had reasonably fresh looking oil in it. The motor oil looks fine so I think I will wait to pull the pan until I get it at least to turn over and fire on its own.

I did pull plugs a few days ago and poured motor oil into cylinders. The plugs looked decent, the dist cap and points look good. The fuel bowls look reasonably clean but I'll pull and flush before starting. belts look good, doesn't appear to be any leakage from rad or water pumps.

I plan to pull plugs, crank a few times to ensure the motor can freely turn, check for spark and then see if it can fire off.

I need new battery and cables. have read that it is beneficial to have "6-volt" cables instead of the normal cables you buy at big box stores. I assume these are lower gage/make your own type? maybe 00?

arctic y block 11-03-2010 10:47 AM

Yes use large cables for 6V to carry the amps.

kenjh 11-17-2010 09:23 PM

my 54 sat for at least 6 years before I got her .. I pulled the plugs and gave her a shot af diesel in each hole and cranked her over to loosen her her then disconected the carb and fuel pump.. the gas tank was rotten ..and pored gas in the carb with the points cleaned she fired up and ran..listen for noise and watch for smoke and water leaks..it will run out of gas before it can overheat this way..and #2 gauge is all you need for the 100 amp the starter pulls..00 cable is overkill and a wate of money.. in my experiance..some want to do a teardown before starting a motor..I just change the oil and flush the rad to see what is inside..every motor is unique go with what you are comfotable with..