Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   What have you done to your truck today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1004055-what-have-you-done-to-your-truck-today.html)

Fordzilla80 05-30-2014 04:08 PM

And hello new intake! :)

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...317ea9cab1.jpg

Gary Lewis 05-30-2014 04:37 PM

Congrat's! Nice and clean. Looks good.

ArdWrknTrk 05-30-2014 05:21 PM

IIRC my Performer (460) came with two 'spools' to space the stock cable bracket up.
I don't think I needed them.
Somehow I remember seeing them in my "box of shame" recently.

(don't we all keep a bin of widgets and oddball fasteners that are unused from past projects?)

Gary Lewis 05-30-2014 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk (Post 14392688)
IIRC my Performer (460) came with two 'spools' to space the stock cable bracket up.
I don't think I needed them.
Somehow I remember seeing them in my "box of shame" recently.

(don't we all keep a bin of widgets and oddball fasteners that are unused from past projects?)

Yup. I have the nutserts left over from the factory trailering mirrors I put on my new 72 F250.

Rogue_Wulff 05-30-2014 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Fordzilla80 (Post 14392560)

You will likely need the throttle cable bracket sold by edelbrock. They have them for all the major engine families, since they all use different setups......

Gary Lewis 05-30-2014 07:01 PM

If it is anything like the one we installed on Bruno's W at one of the GTG's I'm not sure I would have it. IIRC it was flimsy and awkward looking. That was the point I decided I'd cut and weld the one for Dad's engine. But maybe I have that memory wrong?

Fordzilla80 05-30-2014 07:11 PM

Thanks Gary! It's a little dirty, but it should clean up very well.

My deal with the aftermarket cable bracket would be, can the stock throttle cable bolt up to the Eddy brackets? In the end I'll probably just cut and weld the 302 bracket since I know it bolts up to my cable. But that's a long ways away since I don't even have a carb yet.

Next weekend I plan on picking up the new distributor, and some of my internal rebuild parts.

Gary Lewis 05-30-2014 07:24 PM

Yes, the Eddy manifold has the mounting locations to take the stock bracket.

Fordzilla80 05-30-2014 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis (Post 14392916)
Yes, the Eddy manifold has the mounting locations to take the stock bracket.

I understand that, but will the factory accelerator cable bolt up to Edelbrock's aftermarket throttle cable bracket?

Gary Lewis 05-30-2014 08:33 PM

My remembrance of the Eddy bracket is that it is just a small bracket that bolts to the bottom of the Ford bracket and, in turn, bolts to the manifold. Here's what Edelbrock says about them:
[QUOTE][FORD THROTTLE CABLE PLATE KITS
Repositions stock throttle cable bracket to align with Edelbrock carb throttle arm. Use with Edelbrock Throttle Lever Adapter #1483 and stock throttle cable bracket. Designed for Fords with cable activated throttle and automatic transmission kickdown rod. Available in gold iridited finish to match Edelbrock Performer Series Carbs or black to match Edelbrock Thunder Series AVSŪ Carbs. The throttle cable plate kit only works when the throttle bracket is mounted to the intake.
/QUOTE]

Fordzilla80 05-30-2014 08:40 PM

So in other words, it's something that costs $40, that I could make myself for $20. lol.

Gary Lewis 05-30-2014 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Fordzilla80 (Post 14393138)
So in other words, it's something that costs $40, that I could make myself for $20. lol.

Certainly if you have the tools. And you might be able to do it for $40 and buy some tools.

If you don't have a welder I'd modify the approach and braze the pieces together. But, put a piece of 1/8" strap under the joint and braze the two pieces to the strap.

Or, figure out roughly which way the bracket has to move and make a plate out of strap to relo the bracket. Then drill two holes in the strap and bolt it to the manifold. Then put the bracket where it needs to be and mark where the holes need to be in the strap. Drill it and bolt the bracket back on.

Fordzilla80 05-30-2014 09:21 PM

Well, let me just say thank you to Uhaul for buying useless NOS parts that they would have never used, and then selling them on Ebay for cheap when they are no longer needed.

Just found this on fleabay for $6. Yea, that's the purchase price AND shipping. Not sure whether it's a 351M/400 bracket, but I just spent 20 minutes digging through Gary's multiple 80 page microanalysis threads and it sure looks like the one he cut up. Even if it's not right, it's close enough to make due with. For reference, the part number is E1TZ-9728-B according to Uhaul.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...f2196da26d.jpg

ArdWrknTrk 05-30-2014 09:38 PM

I freaking LOVE U-Haul's Ebay store!

It's amazing all the stuff they have for vintage Ford trucks and vans.
Everything from lugnuts to dome light lenses.
Drive shafts, grilles, springs and shocks, you name it.

I was looking at some 3x10' 16Ga. sheetmetal for under $20 that ships from Kansas for $4.95.

Fordzilla80 05-30-2014 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk (Post 14393333)
I freaking LOVE U-Haul's Ebay store!

It's amazing all the stuff they have for vintage Ford trucks and vans.
Everything from lugnuts to dome light lenses.

Same! You usually can't beat the prices either!