Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   What have you done to your truck today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1004055-what-have-you-done-to-your-truck-today.html)

Rogue_Wulff 05-29-2014 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Fordzilla80 (Post 14390410)
Does it have to be an EFI truck? Or can it be from a carbed truck? Only the 302, or I6 too?

If I am not mistaken, the I6 balancer and pulley is an integrated unit. And, the I6 is internally balanced.

bruno2 05-29-2014 10:47 PM

So I took the Dodge over to my buddy's house that knows a little more than I do.We test drove it in order to see exactly what the symptoms are. The truck doesn't like to shift from 1-2. Sometimes it will shift it free wheels like it is in neutral. Sometimes when it shifts it will skip 2 and right into 3.

Also the <acronym title="Torque Converter">TC</acronym> acts like it isn't locking either. On the hwy when the <acronym title="Torque Converter">TC</acronym> should be locked if the brakes are hit it doesn't increase the RPM as if the <acronym title="Torque Converter">TC</acronym> was unlocking.

I have experienced a couple episodes of really bad shudders when stopping the truck. Usually its like a hard brake that does it.

It threw the <acronym title="Check Engine Light">CEL</acronym> as if it had a code now , but I couldn't read with the scanner available. I need to have it scanned by something that could read it.

Does it still sound like governor solenoid and transducer?
<!-- / message -->

Gary Lewis 05-30-2014 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Fordzilla80 (Post 14390410)
Does it have to be an EFI truck? Or can it be from a carbed truck? Only the 302, or I6 too?

Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff (Post 14390460)
If I am not mistaken, the I6 balancer and pulley is an integrated unit. And, the I6 is internally balanced.

As long as the outer two sheaves are exactly the same size it doesn't matter if it is carb'd or EFI'd. Nor what engine other than a diesel as I have a pulley from one of them and they are very different.

But, as RW says, there is an expectation that the I6 balancer has a sheave built into it. If so, then what the catalog says about there being 2 and 4-sheave pulleys for the 302 might be right. It doesn't mention 3-sheave, which is what it looks like is on Ray's truck.

But the two M/400 balancers I have don't have a sheave built in. So I will either need a 3-sheave pulley or use a 1-sheave and a 2-sheave. Complicated.

Fordzilla80 05-30-2014 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff (Post 14390460)

You're absolutely right, I completely forgot about that.

Gary Lewis 05-30-2014 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by bruno2 (Post 14390681)
So I took the Dodge over to my buddy's house that knows a little more than I do.We test drove it in order to see exactly what the symptoms are. The truck doesn't like to shift from 1-2. Sometimes it will shift it free wheels like it is in neutral. Sometimes when it shifts it will skip 2 and right into 3.

Also the <acronym title="Torque Converter">TC</acronym> acts like it isn't locking either. On the hwy when the <acronym title="Torque Converter">TC</acronym> should be locked if the brakes are hit it doesn't increase the RPM as if the <acronym title="Torque Converter">TC</acronym> was unlocking.

I have experienced a couple episodes of really bad shudders when stopping the truck. Usually its like a hard brake that does it.

It threw the <acronym title="Check Engine Light">CEL</acronym> as if it had a code now , but I couldn't read with the scanner available. I need to have it scanned by something that could read it.

<!-- / message -->

I think I would change the fluid and filter immediately. You have more symptoms than what one problem would seem to generate, unless the problem is the computer.

Rogue_Wulff 05-30-2014 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by bruno2 (Post 14390681)

<!-- / message -->

Need to have it scanned with a scanner that can read the trans codes. It could have a couple electrical issues compounded by the fluid needing changed. Since most of the electronics are inside the pan, new fluid is pretty much needed as part of changing anything in there.
The fluid change is recommended at 30-60K, depending on how the truck is used.

Fordzilla80 05-30-2014 11:02 AM

Finally found an air cleaner for my truck. Need to get all of the peeling blue paint off of it and then figure out if I want to paint it or polish it.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...03f63661d8.jpg

Also picked up a throttle cable bracket from a 302. I'm pretty sure it's not the right one for a 351M/400, however I'm gonna see if I can make it work for the time being.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...79cf68fc38.jpg

Gary Lewis 05-30-2014 11:38 AM

Shaun - I don't think the factory throttle bracket will be right for use on an aftermarket manifold regardless of which one you get. Those manifolds move the carb from the stock location and without modification you have a lot of slack in the cable and limited throttle. And, it frequently pulls to the side.

So what I do is cut the bracket and bolt the bottom section on the manifold. Put the cable on the top section, and orient it correctly, leaving about 1/8" slack when the throttle is completely closed - and that is very important. If that causes the two halves to overlap such that you can clamp them with a vise grip or c-clamp do so. If not, clamp a piece of strap under them to hold them together. Remove and mark the pieces, cut where desired, and then weld them up.

As for the rest of your junk yard trip, the air cleaner looks right for your truck. I bet the lid cleans up as spun aluminum. Clear coat it and paint the bottom black and you'll have a "new" one.

And then for my favorite find, a crank pulley with the two front sheaves the same diameter! Thank you!!!

Fordzilla80 05-30-2014 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis (Post 14391902)
Shaun - I don't think the factory throttle bracket will be right for use on an aftermarket manifold regardless of which one you get. Those manifolds move the carb from the stock location and without modification you have a lot of slack in the cable and limited throttle. And, it frequently pulls to the side.

So what I do is cut the bracket and bolt the bottom section on the manifold. Put the cable on the top section, and orient it correctly, leaving about 1/8" slack when the throttle is completely closed - and that is very important. If that causes the two halves to overlap such that you can clamp them with a vise grip or c-clamp do so. If not, clamp a piece of strap under them to hold them together. Remove and mark the pieces, cut where desired, and then weld them up.

As for the rest of your junk yard trip, the air cleaner looks right for your truck. I bet the lid cleans up as spun aluminum. Clear coat it and paint the bottom black and you'll have a "new" one.

And then for my favorite find, a crank pulley with the two front sheaves the same diameter! Thank you!!!

Wow, didn't know that. Thanks! Either way, I planned to cut it up anyway, so that works out better for me.

I was actually thinking about the black base and aluminum lid. I think that might be what I end up going with.

And no problem Gary! :)

Gary Lewis 05-30-2014 01:03 PM

Shaun - I can't easily post a pic right now with an iPhone or iPad, so here's a link to my thread where I powder coated the one I modified. You can see what I had to do.

Fordzilla80 05-30-2014 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis (Post 14392153)
Shaun - I can't easily post a pic right now with an iPhone or iPad, so here's a link to my thread where I powder coated the one I modified. You can see what I had to do.

Reading through that and seeing your pictures, I see something strange. You had to modify your bracket, but it looks like Chris is running the stock bracket with no modifications. Is that because he is running a Holley and not an E-brock, or is he just living with the slack?

Gary Lewis 05-30-2014 01:26 PM

He may have a stock manifold. It is the manifold and not the carb.

Fordzilla80 05-30-2014 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis (Post 14392210)
He may have a stock manifold. It is the manifold and not the carb.

At first I thought so, but then I noticed the word "Performer" somewhere on his intake manifold....

ctubutis 05-30-2014 01:53 PM

Here ya go, Shaun:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...1&d=1399064548

Fordzilla80 05-30-2014 02:05 PM

Barney?

GD10CL