Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   What have you done to your truck today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1004055-what-have-you-done-to-your-truck-today.html)

Rogue_Wulff 05-29-2014 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by bruno2 (Post 14388431)
Bill, I don't know exactly what is wrong with it yet. It did this all of the sudden and there were no symptoms leading up to it. I drove to the shop Tuesday morning without issue, but when I got off work and changed back to the Dodge it went queer on the ride home.

It didn't want to engage into gear. When it did it was like it was in and out of neutral and wouldn't shift up. I tried manually shifting and nothing. I tried going through tow/haul mode and OD off to see if that made a difference, but nothing.I can make it shift if I go wide open throttle.

The fluid is full, but it looks awful. It's brown , but what was on the dipstick doesn't look terrible.

Fluid being brown, not good. It is *possible* that fresh fluid/filter may bring it back to life, but the real question is, for how long......

FordFETruck 05-29-2014 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff (Post 14389769)
Fluid being brown, not good. It is *possible* that fresh fluid/filter may bring it back to life, but the real question is, for how long......

It'll last just long enough until you really need the truck.

ArdWrknTrk 05-29-2014 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by 5280 (Post 14389714)
I scored a ZF5 for my truck today!

Lucky you!
Congratulations. :-drink

Gary Lewis 05-29-2014 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by 5280 (Post 14389714)
I scored a ZF5 for my truck today!

Congrat's! Does it need rebuilt? And what fluid are you going to run?

5280 05-29-2014 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk (Post 14389917)
Lucky you!
Congratulations. :-drink

Thanks Jim! To top the deal off, I paid only $275 for the trans, cross member and inspection cover!! Now I just need to find time for the swap. It has only taken me a month to do my carb and intake.

5280 05-29-2014 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis (Post 14390011)
Congrat's! Does it need rebuilt? And what fluid are you going to run?

The seller claimed it was in good working order. It was out of the truck. He gave me receipts from a rebuild a few years back. I'm going with the assumption that it is good, but for what I paid for it I will be okay if I have to put some work into it.

I have not explored fluid options, open for suggestions and experience here.

Gary Lewis 05-29-2014 08:46 PM

I'm using Royal Purple MT lube, but what I've read says a good synthetic lube is recommended. The synchros are a weak spot on the ZF and the synthetic is good for them.

ArdWrknTrk 05-29-2014 08:48 PM

The tag on my filler says "Use Only ATF Ford Type H"

I'm using RP Syncromax.

ZF's recommendations are all over the place depending on climate and duty.
75 weight gear oil, synthetic ATF and some types of regular motor oil.
Most of these are (were) only available in europe.

5280 05-29-2014 08:59 PM

Gary, Jim, Thanks for the feedback on the trans fluid. I am a big fan of synthetic fluids, I will definitely go that way.

Cold as hell in the winter where I live, I'm hoping that once I get all of the bugs worked out of this truck my wife will use it for her winter driver instead of our very unreliable Land Rover. I will find a fluid that suits winter needs or switch out by season.

Rogue_Wulff 05-29-2014 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk (Post 14390203)
The tag on my filler says "Use Only ATF Ford Type H"

I'm using RP Syncromax.

ZF's recommendations are all over the place depending on climate and duty.
75 weight gear oil, synthetic ATF and some types of regular motor oil.
Most of these are (were) only available in europe.

RP Syncromax is rather good. High, but good.....

Originally Posted by 5280 (Post 14390252)
Gary, Jim, Thanks for the feedback on the trans fluid. I am a big fan of synthetic fluids, I will definitely go that way.

Cold as hell in the winter where I live, I'm hoping that once I get all of the bugs worked out of this truck my wife will use it for her winter driver instead of our very unreliable Land Rover. I will find a fluid that suits winter needs or switch out by season.

A land Rover that's unreliable, Surely you jest........

Nice find on the trans, assuming it is in as good condition as claimed.

ArdWrknTrk 05-29-2014 09:15 PM

RW,
What do you think of people overfilling (through the shifter) to keep the ZF quiet?
I've heard a lot of this, but have not tried it.

ETA: when I bought it from Amazon it was under $15 a quart.
Still pricey, but not $20+ at the LAP.

Fordzilla80 05-29-2014 09:16 PM

UPS says my intake should be here tomorrow, and luckily for me, I have off all day tomorrow so I can be home when it arrives!

Gonna make a junkyard run for Chris in the morning, and then pick up some other rebuild goodies.

Also started my new job today. Well, new store at least. Same job and company. lol. Cut my travel time and mileage in half. So that means less gas money out of my pocket, and more towards my savings. :)

Rogue_Wulff 05-29-2014 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk (Post 14390305)
RW,
What do you think of people overfilling (through the shifter) to keep the ZF quiet?
I've heard a lot of this, but have not tried it.

We do that frequently, not just with a ZF. As long as it's not drastically overfilled, it helps extend the trans life by keeping it cooler (among other things).
We just installed a reman NV5600 6 speed, and the rebuilder called for ~1.5-2qts more oil than NV/Dodge specified.

Gary Lewis 05-29-2014 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Fordzilla80 (Post 14390311)
UPS says my intake should be here tomorrow, and luckily for me, I have off all day tomorrow so I can be home when it arrives!

Gonna make a junkyard run for Chris in the morning, and then pick up some other rebuild goodies.

Also started my new job today. Well, new store at least. Same job and company. lol. Cut my travel time and mileage in half. So that means less gas money out of my pocket, and more towards my savings. :)

If you don't mind, I'm looking for a 3-sheave crank pulley that has the front 2 sheaves of exactly the same size. Ray1986F150's EFI'd 302 appeared to have exactly the right pulley but I am not finding any in salvages here. And there is quite some confusion as to whether Ray's is actually a 3-sheave pulley or a balancer with an integral sheave and a 2-sheave pulley added on.

In any event, if you could keep your eyes open I'd appreciate it.

Fordzilla80 05-29-2014 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis (Post 14390377)
If you don't mind, I'm looking for a 3-sheave crank pulley that has the front 2 sheaves of exactly the same size. Ray1986F150's EFI'd 302 appeared to have exactly the right pulley but I am not finding any in salvages here. And there is quite some confusion as to whether Ray's is actually a 3-sheave pulley or a balancer with an integral sheave and a 2-sheave pulley added on.

In any event, if you could keep your eyes open I'd appreciate it.

Does it have to be an EFI truck? Or can it be from a carbed truck? Only the 302, or I6 too?