Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   What have you done to your truck today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1004055-what-have-you-done-to-your-truck-today.html)

85lebaront2 03-21-2014 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis (Post 14184218)
I think we are compiling the play list for the next OK GTG. And, that reminded me to go look at our stash of LP's. Found one that must be included: Dueces, T's, Roadsters, and Drums. Features Hal Blaine on drums and he accompanies:
  • Challenger II: set a record at 405 at Bonneville running four Pontiacs
  • Green Monster: Yes, the original and built by Art ____ (Fill in the blank, from memory, Bill. I can. Saw IV run.)
  • Nashville Coupe: 660 CI Chrysler with two 471's
  • And many more
I really have to find someone to convert these LP's to digital! :-jammin

Art Arfons ran the Green Monster.
We had one of the fastest 1/4 mile strips locally, Suffolk VA. I remember seeing Sox and Martin, "Wild" Willie Borsch, Platt and Paine and a bunch of the other big names along with a few locals. Watched Hubert Platt dump the timing chain on his SOHC 427 powered Maverick right on the starting line.

On Bonneville, I have a picture a late friend gave me of Sir Malcom Campbell running one of the Bluebirds, probably late 30s. He denied taking it (he was 15 at the time). He gave it to me for a birthday present one year.

On the songs, send me a list, I probably have all or most of them in MP3 format.

Gary Lewis 03-21-2014 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by 85lebaront2 (Post 14185033)
Art Arfons ran the Green Monster.
We had one of the fastest 1/4 mile strips locally, Suffolk VA. I remember seeing Sox and Martin, "Wild" Willie Borsch, Platt and Paine and a bunch of the other big names along with a few locals. Watched Hubert Platt dump the timing chain on his SOHC 427 powered Maverick right on the starting line.

On Bonneville, I have a picture a late friend gave me of Sir Malcom Campbell running one of the Bluebirds, probably late 30s. He denied taking it (he was 15 at the time). He gave it to me for a birthday present one year.

On the songs, send me a list, I probably have all or most of them in MP3 format.

Yes, it was Arfons. He brought Green Monster VI to our little outlaw strip in south-central KS for an exhibition run. This was his first jet-powered GM and the first such to run at our strip. They had speakers on stands lining the course for the first 100' or so, and he blew them down emphatically.

Didn't see Sir Malcolm run but have seen the loch where he and his son Donald tested the Bluebird boats.

I'll send you a PM at some point on the music, and hope to get my LPs digitized so will share them as well.

85lebaront2 03-22-2014 06:57 PM

Replaced my front calipers and pads, the left side had stuck. Local AutoZone Commercial manager told my neighbor to warranty them as I had bought a set of loaded calipers from AZ commercial in Hampton VA. I don't know if the two commercial managers talked or not, but I was told get them up there and they would be replaced along with the pads.

While I was waiting for the old ones to drain, I installed the new rear bumper bolts.

Gary Lewis 03-22-2014 08:50 PM

You have a good thing going with AZ. Well, with brakes and a bumper Darth is coming together - from disparate parts. ;)

KsCop 03-22-2014 09:04 PM

I didn't do anything on the truck today, but I did start to clean the shop. I got rid of about 100 gallons of trash and other junk. It looks better, but I confirmed that I need a shed to move some stuff to if I expect to get my '63 4x4 in the shop to finish the restoration.

That truck's been sitting since late fall, with a tarp over the engine w/ the hood shut and a cover over the truck. In terms of what I have to finish on that one, well that's another list in another forum..

As to my '85, I'm having the exhaust manifold leak repaired on Wednesday (no time to do it myself) and once I get the flooring project and my wifes car fixed, I'll take a look at my rattle / front engine sound (timing gears? Thrust plate? Who knows). After that. and after a few more house projects, I'll be dealing with the rear main seal and the few areas of rust and paint.

Fun Times..

FordFETruck 03-22-2014 09:16 PM

I did this Thursday. I used to have the steel fuel line come up to the edge of the intake manifold and had a small piece of hose on it to the fuel pressure regulator mounted to the intake. I didn't like having two possible leaks next to the distributor so I cut the steel line off close to the fuel pump and ran a rubber hose to the regulator. I also put convoluted tubing on the fuel line.

Gary Lewis 03-22-2014 09:20 PM

I have a fear of running rubber fuel line too close to the distributor. In fact, if might be a phobia. The concern is having a spark plug wire come loose and the arc wind up going through the fuel line and into the fuel. I know that fuel w/o oxygen cannot burn. And I know the likelihood of it actually getting through the wall of the rubber hose is quite small. But......

FordFETruck 03-22-2014 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis (Post 14189498)
I have a fear of running rubber fuel line too close to the distributor. In fact, if might be a phobia. The concern is having a spark plug wire come loose and the arc wind up going through the fuel line and into the fuel. I know that fuel w/o oxygen cannot burn. And I know the likelihood of it actually getting through the wall of the rubber hose is quite small. But......

That's why I put convoluted tubing on it, it'll have to burn through that first. I REALLY don't like having fuel lines next to the distributor either. The line is now farther away from any electrical components than it used to be.

85lebaront2 03-22-2014 09:30 PM

Gary, remember the Ford factory fuel line and little filter in the 60s and 70s. That 2" long piece of 5/16" hose was famous for leaking and spraying the distributor. Instant fire. Had a customer come in (almost, he was in the left turn lane) with a Mercury with a 410 2bbl. He was on his way in due to a fuel leak at that hose. The car caught fire underhood as he was waiting for traffic. He jumped out and opened the hood. I grabbed our big CO2 extinguisher, raced out and put the fire out, two of my employees followed so we could push the car.

With the fire out, I told the owner to get in and steer. as he did here came the Newport News Fire Department. They chased us all away, started shaking the burned wires under the hood, and shorted the starter signal wire to 12V. Engine started, gas spraying everywhere as the hose was burned in two. Out came the fire axes, by the time they finished, what would have probably been a $2-300 repair turned into a total loss.

Remember, they were professionals!

ctubutis 03-22-2014 09:31 PM

I'm now paranoid of rubber fuel line near the engine after a piece started leaking on me resulting in a fire under the hood... it is NOT a good feeling to be sitting at a stop light and notice paint on the hood bubbling & blistering & smoking...

ctubutis 03-22-2014 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by 85lebaront2 (Post 14189535)
Gary, remember the Ford factory fuel line and little filter in the 60s and 70s. That 2" long piece of 5/16" hose was famous for leaking and spraying the distributor. Instant fire. Had a customer come in (almost, he was in the left turn lane) with a Mercury with a 410 2bbl. He was on his way in due to a fuel leak at that hose. The car caught fire underhood as he was waiting for traffic.

Yep, that exact piece! 1977 LTD II with a 302.

I wasn't sure what was happening, so I pulled over in front of a Walgreen's store and opened the hood... eeegad!!! Fire!!!

I ran into the Walgreen's to find a fire extinguisher; they wouldn't let me use theirs, but I had a choice of two that I could purchase. *sigh* Grabbed one and ran out without paying for it 'til after it had been emptied.

Gary Lewis 03-22-2014 09:53 PM

Yep, THAT is why I don't like a rubber fuel line near the dizzy. Rusty has a rubber line, but I plan to bend stainless to go from the pump to the carb on Dad's. Will work a good filter in as well.

mario9272 03-22-2014 10:39 PM

Today I finished my power window and locks install after putting it off for awhile. And I also painted my gauges

Passenger Side
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a55...322_201043.jpg

Driver Side
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a55...216_115920.jpg
Gauges
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a55...322_201037.jpg

FordFETruck 03-22-2014 10:43 PM

Looks great!

85lebaront2 03-23-2014 05:55 AM

I like that switch location, it's a lot better than where Ford liked to put them before 1992.