Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   My first rebuild (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1313381-my-first-rebuild.html)

427 fordman 07-19-2014 04:53 AM

Good to hear Nick.

ReBilld 07-19-2014 09:01 PM

Glad to hear Clay is taking care of you on the ring. Of course, there was never a doubt in my mind that he would. :-X22 As soon as I can scrape up the money, I'm gonna order a kit from him for the engine I tore down a few weeks ago. I wonder if Clay sells sleeves?? I'll have to text one of the guys at RRE and tell them to ask him! :D

MOOSE_MACHINE 07-20-2014 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by ReBilld (Post 14519939)
Glad to hear Clay is taking care of you on the ring. Of course, there was never a doubt in my mind that he would. :-X22 As soon as I can scrape up the money, I'm gonna order a kit from him for the engine I tore down a few weeks ago. I wonder if Clay sells sleeves?? I'll have to text one of the guys at RRE and tell them to ask him! :D

I had no doubt either. I was just hoping to get it together this weekend.

ReBilld 07-20-2014 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE (Post 14520338)
I had no doubt either. I was just hoping to get it together this weekend.

I know what you mean. I hate when something like that holds up the whole project. I've run into that many times. I guess I'm getting a little more patient in my old age though.....well, not according to my wife, but I think I am :D

MOOSE_MACHINE 07-21-2014 01:18 AM

Held up seems to be part of my name lol

fordman67 07-21-2014 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by ReBilld (Post 14519939)

I went down there but it looked like they had turned in for the night.
Every sleve I ever bought came from the machine shop installing said sleve.

One ring? Dang it...talk about a dime holding up a dollar.

MOOSE_MACHINE 07-21-2014 11:19 AM

Haha. Tell me about it. Oh well. I was hoping to fire it by the end of the month but I'm not so sure now. On the other hand my dad came out this weekend so maybe things worked out for the better. If I had all the pieces I probably wouldn't have spent much time with him

MOOSE_MACHINE 07-30-2014 06:29 PM

A little shipment update.
I ordered gauges and a pod a little over 2 weeks ago and got a order shipped notice. I also just found out that the order just made it to usps with the ring today. Looks like I won't get it till next week. Christmas is coming

oldbird1965 07-30-2014 07:43 PM

Hate waiting on parts!

MOOSE_MACHINE 08-11-2014 06:17 PM

I haven't been around the site to much lately. Mostly because I was still waiting on parts from the middle of last month and the piston ring as well. The reminder of the fact that they haven't arrived aggravated me. I have checked around a bit though. I just got a message from the post office. I can pick it up tonight. Yay. It should contain the gauges and the ring. Yay. I have made a little progress non the less on the truck though. I tunnelled the firewall and I am pretty sure it will be enough. The sd downpipe does a lot lower along the side of the trans than the 3" obs pipe. I cut the end off of a air chisel and welded a 1/2" piece of 1" round to it to stretch the firewall back enough to get through. I think it will work but I won't know till I put the heads on and figure out exactly how it runs. I also started on the e fuel but didn't get to far. I've got the brackets made up just have to mount them plumb and wire. I have a t-500 in the works but still need a turbo. Oh and while I was painting my exhaust manifolds I noticed a crack in the passenger side. Good thing I have a spare. Now I just have to get it off the head.

DIYMechanic 08-11-2014 08:40 PM

Good to hear you're making progress again Nick. And good luck with those exhaust manifold bolts!

OldWoodsDiesel 08-12-2014 06:17 AM

sounds like we're going parallel on our rebuild projects, Nick. let me know if any pictures from my end can help and i'll do the same the other way!

...and i can surely sympathize with your shipping slowness compaints! it'll be 2 weeks tomorrow waiting for my valve springs and other stuff :-(

MOOSE_MACHINE 08-12-2014 11:23 AM

Parallel. Maybe. I'm quite a bit behind though. My motor is still on the stand missing 2 pistons and the heads. Soon I hope. Although I just found out that my hired hand on the farm is going to be gone for the next week so I don't know how much time I will get.

MOOSE_MACHINE 08-14-2014 11:10 AM

I continued reassembly of the motor again. For some reason I am sure I take a bunch of pics but they don't seem to be on my phone. Idk. Pistons are all in and the bottom end is gauged and torqued
http://i1333.photobucket.com/albums/...pslfnkeknm.jpg
Sure looks sexy with the studs all sticking out
http://i1333.photobucket.com/albums/...pslxde3l3k.jpg
I also got the heads on and torqued as well but can't find the pics. Tonight I will get the rear cover and seal on and hopefully the front as well. Then the valve train and accesories

OldWoodsDiesel 08-14-2014 03:36 PM

man! you're catching up to me, Nick and i didn't take the heads, covers or bottom end off/apart!

looking good!

i'm doing valve springs right now (half done last night, hopefully finishing up tonight). hit me up if you need to - or did you get your valves and springs done already, off the block. seems it'd be much easier that way. took me a while on the first cylinder, but i'm moving pretty good now.