Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   understanding 4R100 Torque Converter Problems (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1151916-understanding-4r100-torque-converter-problems.html)

SpringerPop 09-09-2012 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Freightshaker (Post 12254229)
I think you are talking to me but mark was addressing mr dogbreath. If I'm wrong I'm not sure what ya mean help me

You are absolutely correct!

My bad....

Hey, DOGBREATH!

Oh, never mind................. :-huh

Pop

Coolball 09-09-2012 11:32 PM

Great discussion info on torque converters...wait where am I again:-huh little different to be posting in the 7.3 (proud new f250 sd) forum when I have always posted in the old 6.9 forum on FTE. Think I might have a tc on it's way out and this thread has been helpful. What caught my attention was the bands warping and causing heat issues from slipping. I believe this is what I'm seeing with heat issues, are there any other symptoms like shudder?

BadDogKuzz 09-09-2012 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Coolball (Post 12254791)
Great discussion info on torque converters...wait where am I again:-huh little different to be posting in the 7.3 (proud new f250 sd) forum when I have always posted in the old 6.9 forum on FTE. Think I might have a tc on it's way out and this thread has been helpful. What caught my attention was the bands warping and causing heat issues from slipping. I believe this is what I'm seeing with heat issues, are there any other symptoms like shudder?

To be honest it could be but I am not an expert, I still learning and trying to get a handle on the issues that cause t.c. to go bad. But shuddering would or could lead to overheating the t.c. but I would think it could also be the TCC valve in the pump, t.c. drain back valve or it could be the programming of the pcm. Since it controls the torque converter lock up.

I am sorry I am not more help I am finally getting a handle on the hard parts of the 4r100 and t.c. but I still have alot to learn as far as the actual hydraulic applications and electronics that go with the programming.

Have you been able to pull any codes?

Coolball 09-10-2012 01:34 PM

I'm no expert either just trying to learn what I'm dealing with to be informed and help make those expensive decision a little smarter. I've started my own thread rather than hijacking this one with my issues. Would be grateful to hear from some of the experts on my woes https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post12256155

Freightshaker 09-18-2012 12:12 PM

Put a few hundred miles on the new TC and seal now... so far so good. Fun part was putting transmission back on jack after it's slow motion rollover trick. Now onto worn out drag link. Got my fingers crossed I don't resort back to the f250 marking it's territory with ATF!

DDogbreath 09-18-2012 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Freightshaker (Post 12283473)
Put a few hundred miles on the new TC and seal now... so far so good. Fun part was putting transmission back on jack after it's slow motion rollover trick. Now onto worn out drag link. Got my fingers crossed I don't resort back to the f250 marking it's territory with ATF!

Good going! Too bad you didn't get video on the "slow motion rollover trick", stuff like that goes viral on Youtube every day! My project has been unfortunately delayed making a transmission jack out of a Craftsman motorcycle jack I'll get a picture of my "creation". I used to watch "MacGyver" a lot. I'll be sure to "rope it down" good on it's journey out from and back under my truck. The other delay was removing the exhaust, it became another project in itself. I'm really glad my "Haynes Manual" spent an entire 3 pages on Ford Pick-up trucks and Bronco "exhaust systems" from 1980- 1995! Then a "fluke miracle" happened as I set the manual down the breeze opened it to that part giving me trouble. The appropriately named component "diverter valve" was diverting my attention away from the task at hand. I could not remove the crimped pipe that rises up near the catalytic converter. I could not reach the "darn" (replace darn using colorful and descriptive expletives) diverter valve to cut the clamp yet but going in for another attempt soon. I'll snap a picture or two of the Jack while I'm at it. I should have signed up for that yoga class years ago. Certainly yoga must have the position needed to reach the "darn" diverter valve clamp.

DDogbreath 09-21-2012 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Freightshaker (Post 12283473)

Here is my improvised transmission jack. I will rope it to the wood. This is a "Craftsman" motorcycle jack. The wooden blocks and 2X4 are all screwed into the "glue lamb" base.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8175/8...371032c6_b.jpg

BadDogKuzz 10-07-2012 12:35 AM

To be honest I don't know why I am so fixated on why these 4R100 torque converters are such a problem. So for those of you that want to get a handle on why there are issues and what leads up to failure of the t.c. you might find this a good read. It is a write up by Bob Warnke. http://www.sonnax.com/system/pdfs/10...pdf?1289926275

So for you guys that think just replacing the torque converter will cure you problem. As you can see from the flow charts that are posted in this write up the torque converter failure could just be the end result of flow issues.

Stewart_H 10-07-2012 01:18 AM

Ed, you should call and talk to John Wood about the 4R100 torque converters. He's got loads of info.

Stewart

BadDogKuzz 10-07-2012 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Stewart_H (Post 12347255)
Ed, you should call and talk to John Wood about the 4R100 torque converters. He's got loads of info.

Stewart

Thanks Stewart I am actually a very big fan of JW I have read all the write up's about him and his products. And he makes or has made to his specs t.c. with some cool parts. I would hate to call and waste the mans valuable time since I am not buying anything any time soon.

I actually have a trans and torque converter combo that I put together that is working nicely. But down the road I would like to up grade my 3disc billet t.c. with a billet piston ( John makes his own) and a custom billet stator. Which I don't know what he uses. But you are right I should give him a call someday since he is the only guy in the know that would be willing to answer my questions. But I'll wait until I am closer to spending some money with him. Which will be in about 26k when I do my first fuild change. Then I need to fine tune my accumulator for 2-3 shift and am thinking about seeing what he would do different with the valve body I have modded myself. Or just buy his v.b. but the problem is I am so close to having my trans shift so sweet already with stock tunes. That I only need very little to have it to my liking. But I too feel John Woods is the guy to talk to. I like the way he goes at things and is always helpful to guys even if they aren't spending a ton of money. That makes him a little better than the rest :-X22

yfz 450 10-07-2012 09:43 AM

So like the e40d's were these transmissions made better as time went on. Will my 03 have the same issues? I have read most of the thread but not the whole thing and it is mostly about the e99

BadDogKuzz 10-07-2012 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by yfz 450 (Post 12347788)
So like the e40d's were these transmissions made better as time went on. Will my 03 have the same issues? I have read most of the thread but not the whole thing and it is mostly about the e99

Actually the E4OD seems to have had a better TCC valve set up but the 4R100 is better in other areas and the t.c. of both e4od and 4r100 have some of the same issues from the factory. So if your trans and t.c. are stock it could end up with the sames issues. They really didn't change alot by 2003. But that doesn't mean yours is going to break it means it still has the design weaknesses.

BadDogKuzz 11-30-2013 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz (Post 12347221)
To be honest I don't know why I am so fixated on why these 4R100 torque converters are such a problem. So for those of you that want to get a handle on why there are issues and what leads up to failure of the t.c. you might find this a good read. It is a write up by Bob Warnke. http://www.sonnax.com/system/pdfs/10...pdf?1289926275

So for you guys that think just replacing the torque converter will cure you problem. As you can see from the flow charts that are posted in this write up the torque converter failure could just be the end result of flow issues.

I just wanted to give this old tread a bump..... Did anyone read this write up by Bob Warnke???? If so what was your take on it? I have read it at least 5 times and I think I am just not getting all of it.

Freightshaker 11-30-2013 09:17 PM

As an update my TC and seal are hanging in like a champ.

BadDogKuzz 01-19-2014 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz (Post 12347221)
To be honest I don't know why I am so fixated on why these 4R100 torque converters are such a problem. So for those of you that want to get a handle on why there are issues and what leads up to failure of the t.c. you might find this a good read. It is a write up by Bob Warnke. Sonnax

Edit with new link to the write up by Bob Warnke
4R100 Repeated Converter Failure - Sonnax
Thanks for the new link Y2KW57 :-X22