Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Build Thread: '49 F321 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1144118-build-thread-49-f321.html)

51PanelMan 08-13-2012 07:02 PM

Boy, those even summers in Illinois are harsh. Snow in August???!!!!

49f3dls 08-13-2012 07:05 PM

Jeff- Thank you and the honor is mine that you would even respond- it is greatly appreciated. The pics are great and it does not look like the Jag pump is going to help so not having it with the front end is no lost. Thanks again I will keep watching for your updates with anticipation. Have fun! Dave S

Jeff and Nicolle 08-13-2012 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by 49f3dls (Post 12162898)
Jeff- Thank you and the honor is mine that you would even respond- it is greatly appreciated. The pics are great and it does not look like the Jag pump is going to help so not having it with the front end is no lost. Thanks again I will keep watching for your updates with anticipation. Have fun! Dave S

You already have the Jag pump right?
If so, keep it around, the pressure relief valve in the back apparently comes out and it will screw into the saginaw pump. then you are in good shape!
After you get 25 posts here, you will have the ability to do private messages. I am actually goin to chicago tomorrow, just for the day, for work.

Jeff and Nicolle 08-13-2012 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by 51PanelMan (Post 12162887)
Boy, those even summers in Illinois are harsh. Snow in August???!!!!

oh no ILYA..it doesnt snow here in august...I bought a snow machine to beat the heat! Didn't work out so well...:-X04

Jeff and Nicolle 08-13-2012 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by 49f3dls (Post 12162898)

Trust me, I am no genius, just an enthusiast with a sick sort of ambition!

49f3dls 08-13-2012 07:38 PM

Thanks I did pick that bit of info up from your thread and I keep just about everything off this truck- did sell the old flat head 6 and trans/rear end to a local guy. I moved from Chicago to Lexington KY about 6 yrs ago (20 % retired -don't work Fridaysso I spend them in the garage) . so if you are ever in the blue grass get a hold of me. The rooms are cheap and the bourbon is great!! Dave S

Jeff and Nicolle 08-13-2012 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by 49f3dls (Post 12163003)
Thanks I did pick that bit of info up from your thread and I keep just about everything off this truck- did sell the old flat head 6 and trans/rear end to a local guy. I moved from Chicago to Lexington KY about 6 yrs ago (20 % retired -don't work Fridaysso I spend them in the garage) . so if you are ever in the blue grass get a hold of me. The rooms are cheap and the bourbon is great!! Dave S

HaHa the cheap rooms are great! the bourbon not so much for me. I'm diabetic. An ex-Navy guy...I was drunk more than I was sober back then.
Now if i even drink a beer, im out...:-X17

49f3dls 08-13-2012 07:49 PM

I know what you mean- root beer is about my speed. Have fun Dave S

preppypyro 08-14-2012 11:39 AM

Nice to see I aint by myself with the no more beers no more! (once a twice a year for me IF that!)

Looks like my fav fte build thread is still going strong too!

Jeff and Nicolle 08-14-2012 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by preppypyro (Post 12165241)
Nice to see I aint by myself with the no more beers no more! (once a twice a year for me IF that!)

Looks like my fav fte build thread is still going strong too!

Hi there Sheldon! Nice to hear from ya!
Still going strong and at the speed of a sloth!:(

But I have not put one single penny of this on a credit card, so sloth speed it is! I feel good about that!

little ones garage 08-15-2012 06:35 AM

DO YOU HAVE THE 6 CYL RADITOR AND WOULD YOU SELL IT. i HAVE A 1950 f-1 AND NEED A RADITOR tHANK yOU.

Jeff and Nicolle 08-15-2012 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by little ones garage (Post 12168030)
DO YOU HAVE THE 6 CYL RADITOR AND WOULD YOU SELL IT. i HAVE A 1950 f-1 AND NEED A RADITOR tHANK yOU.

I don't have it anymore, sorry!

49f3dls 08-15-2012 08:44 AM

Jeff- I have been reading up on the power steering pumps as I hate to spend $$$ when I already have a good pump (really 2 good pumps) and found an article in Hemmings- part that may interest you is below--
Many different pressure valves were selected by manufacturers to match the gearbox setup, and the ratio they wanted to use. These valves screw into the back of the pump unit and are part of the retaining nut. A pressure spring is also located just behind this nut. When substituting between units, it is recommended whenever possible to use the original valve and spring out of your car, rather than from the donor car. This will ensure that the new pump assembly has the proper pressure for your gearbox. If you do not have the old valve for the pre-1975 units, there is a work-around to modify the pump to the correct pressure. If you remove the retaining nut and spring, some of the pressure valves have a threaded shaft with a nut on top with a series of washers. These washers help determine the pressure setting for the pump. Carefully hold the valve in a vise, without damaging the outer bore, and take off the nut. You can then change the number of washers. As you remove washers, the pressure setting of the valve (and pump) will increase. More washers equal less pressure. However, it should be noted that with less pressure, you would be able to get a better feel in the steering wheel for the condition of the road. Overdoing the pressure could also lead to early pump and/or gearbox failure, so don't over-pressurize. here is the url- Saginaw Power Steering Pumps | Hemmings Motor News
also I may know of a raditor for sale that came out of a 49 in Versailles KY -just outside Lexington. I can check if this Friday if the other guy still needs one.

49f3dls 08-15-2012 08:54 AM

If I can get to the garage tonight I can pull the valve from the Jag saginaw pump and tell you the number of washers in it- maybe you can then see if your 5.0 saginaw can be changed to the same number therefore the same pressure??

Jeff and Nicolle 08-15-2012 06:57 PM

Thanks for the link! that's good info to have.
No rush but yes, when you get an opportunity, I would like to know how many washers are in there. I am sure others can benefit from this as well.