Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Michigan Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum85/)
-   -   Already Marchs BS thread (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1143898-already-marchs-bs-thread.html)

just another truck 03-26-2012 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by maevans (Post 11614940)
I have been keeping a eye on it for a while know. SB 0057, 0058 eliminate no carry zones - MGO Community Forum

This is what I was refering to..0059

Sweeping changes proposed for Michigan concealed handgun law
Published: Wednesday, March 21, 2012, 11:55 AM

New applicants who take extra training would be able to carry concealed guns in churches, schools and other "pistol-free" zones under a new proposal.

Michigan’s 83 county gun boards would be eliminated under the most sweeping rewrite in a decade proposed for Michigan’s concealed weapons law.
The legislation, to be outlined Thursday at a Senate Committee, includes a score of changes. Among them:
• Allow concealed pistols in so-called “gun-free” zones -- such as churches, schools and sports stadiums -- for those who receive extra training.
• Shift permit approvals to county sheriffs from gun boards in place since 1927.
• Cut licensing delays, remove financial obstacles to appealing denials, and make it easier to renew.
Measures aimed at improving mandatory reports on permit holders’ misbehavior are also in development, an outgrowth of an MLive Media Group investigation that found the reports could not be trusted.
PROPOSED CHANGES TO MIGHIGAN’S CONCEALED HANDGUN LAW
The proposed overhaul of Michigan’s concealed weapons law would:
Establish a “shall issue” exemption allowing highly trained permit holders to carry guns in pistol-free zones. An extra nine hours of training and 162 more rounds fired at the range would be required beyond current basic requirements.
• Require firing-range time for basic applicants include 98 rounds, as opposed to 30 now.
• Eliminate county gun boards, now comprised of state police, sheriffs, clerks and prosecutors or firearms instructors.
• Shift permit approvals to sheriffs, whose departments already handle background checks. County clerks would still process applications.
• Require licenses be approved within 45 days or a temporary license must be issued.
• Counties could no longer charge extra money beyond the $105 application fee for taking photos, laminating, and other add-ons.
• Applicants who unsuccessfully appeal a denial in court would no longer be forced to pay the county’s court and attorney costs.
• Courts could award increased financial penalties to those who successfully appeal.
• Renewal notices must be sent three to six months before expiration, to avoid unintentional lapses.
But the bulk of the measures are aimed at streamlining the permit process, make it less subject to local restrictions, and expand where concealed handguns can be carried, according to documents obtained by MLive.
State Sen. Mike Green, R-Mayville, is chief sponsor of the new legislation. Green also was chief sponsor a decade ago of the “shall issue” overhaul that made it easier for applicants to obtain concealed permits effective July 1, 2001.
Licenses, selectively approved beforehand by many gun boards, soared. The first year 53,000 permits were approved. As of this month, there are 305,108 active permits.
The proposed measures are a wide-ranging substitute for a bill introduced a year ago that saw little traction. That proposal to shift permitting to the Secretary of State was abandoned; so was a follow-up bid to allow permit seekers to apply in any county, to avoid those considered slow or restrictive. That met resistance from prosecutors, clerks and other county groups.
Documents detailing the new measures say shifting approvals to sheriffs makes sense because the departments already perform backgrounds checks. A decision would have to be made 45 days from application, otherwise clerks must issue temporary permits.
Now, the 45-day clock does not start ticking until after background and fingerprint checks are done and sent to the gun board. There is no provision for a temporary permit when it runs longer.
The substitute bill also aims to reinvigorate the effort to allow permit holders to carry a concealed handgun in gun-free zones.
New applicants who complete 17 hours of training involving firing 192 rounds could carry concealed weapons in the zones. That’s more than the eight hours and 30 rounds now required for a permit. The 30 rounds also would increase to 98 rounds for basic permit.
Those who already have permits would have to complete an additional nine hours of training - much of it involving personal protection outside the home - and 94 rounds on the firing range to carry a concealed handgun in the pistol-free zones.
Additional measures in the bill are aimed at ensuring mandatory annual reports on permit holders who run afoul of the law are more accurate.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Chad149 03-26-2012 07:36 PM

Looks like i will have to do some reassuring e-mails to my reps......:-X22

just another truck 03-27-2012 03:55 AM

good moring all, thank God for coffee....

is it hump day yet??

Toyman 03-27-2012 08:37 AM

Everyday can be hump day :-jammin

So now I am sitting and waiting for the tuner people to send me the correct tune for the Jeep and take it for a test drive

just another truck 03-27-2012 08:48 AM

CPL Holders, take a look

Friends of Michigan Open Carry, Inc:

The word in Lansing is SB 59 will be coming to the floor of the full Senate later this week. Now is the time to call your Senator and ask them to get behind the bill!

In case you aren't familiar with SB 59, you can check out these emails we sent out about it last week:

PFZ Exemptions for Anyone - Lansing Rumor Mill about SB 59
A CALL TO ACTION: SB 59
SB 59 Passes out of Senate Natural Resources Committee
Summary of SB 59
Text of SB 59 in its current form
Call your State Senator

Now that we're all on the same page, I hope you will join me in helping this bill moving forward by calling your State Senator and thanking them for considering this bill on the Senate Floor. It's a simple process and the whole affair shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes.

Step 1
Find your State Senator's Contact Information (Click Here)

Step 2
Call your State Senator (between 9 AM and 4 PM today (Tuesday) or tomorrow (Wednesday), if possible) and ask them to support SB 59. Email works also, if you don't have the time to place a call -- but calling is much more effective.

If you are a bit lost for words, you can say this:

Hello, my name is (Insert your Name) and I live in (Insert the name of your City, Township, or Village here), which is part of the Senator's district. I am calling at the request of Michigan Open Carry in order to thank my Senator and the Senate body for considering SB 59, which I hear will be voted on later this week. I'd like to urge my Senator to speak to the Senate leadership to ensure SB 59 is heard before the full Senate and voted on promptly this Thursday. I hope to see my Senator voting "Yes" on the passage of SB 59. I've also heard the Hospital Association is trying to amend the bill to make it less favorable to gun owners. I'd like my Senator to oppose any amendments that make this bill less friendly to gun owners.
Call Your Sheriff
If after you call your Senator and you have a few spare minutes, it'd also be very helpful if you call your Sheriff. I am hearing the Michigan Sheriff's Association is opposing this bill. Make sure your locally elected officials understand that you want their support!

Step 1. Find the contact information for your Sheriff
I wish this was as easy as finding your Senator, but it isn't. There's no central repository for the contact information of your Sheriff. My best advice is to go to Google and enter "Michigan <YourCountyName> County Sheriff Contact". For example, I live in Ingham County. I typed in "Michigan Ingham County Sheriff Contact" and low and behold, the phone number for my County Sheriff was on the first hit!

Step 2. Make the call
Call your Sheriff and tell them you hear their association is opposing SB 59. Let them know that you don't agree with this and you'd like them to call their legislative contacts and urge them to support SB 59.

Thank you!
Once again, I'd like to say a big "Thank You!" to those of you who take action on these emails and help support SB 59. The victory will be yours and in large part because of you when we all have the opportunity to carry in so-called "Pistol Free Zones". I want you to know that your calls are making a difference at the Capitol!

Most Sincerely,

Phillip Hofmeister
President
Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
PHofmeister@miopencarry.org

just another truck 03-28-2012 08:06 AM

Good Morning.. hope everyone has a GREAT day!!!

Toyman 03-28-2012 09:43 AM

Good morning Michigan!

It is a nice sunny day today. be nice to have a beer or 3 after work :-drink

just another truck 03-28-2012 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Toyman (Post 11635561)
Good morning Michigan!

It is a nice sunny day today. be nice to have a beer or 3 after work :-drink

I have the boys Concert tonight.. should be fun.. he has a speaking roll.. HE must have a sining voice like his father if he pulled off a speaking roll.

Toyman 03-28-2012 01:39 PM

I like to think of mine as a drinking voice

:-partybud

Chad149 03-28-2012 10:01 PM

Talked to my sales guy today.....truck will be getting built the week of April 9th ............:-X16:-X16

just another truck 03-29-2012 03:49 AM

Very Nice, I hate the wait.

Sooo, you can tell us, how many times this week have you been to the dealer to "test" drive a new truck since your order went in??

or have they just made you a set of keys, you walk in, wave.. off you go??

SDElwood 03-29-2012 07:41 AM

I wore my drinkin hat today.

just another truck 03-29-2012 07:44 AM

Single cup, our double cup??

SDElwood 03-29-2012 07:51 AM

I can't drink coffee - if they could make it taste like it smelled I might - but hey, I don't want to have to set my beer down again to find out!

Chad149 03-29-2012 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by just another truck (Post 11638983)
Very Nice, I hate the wait.

Sooo, you can tell us, how many times this week have you been to the dealer to "test" drive a new truck since your order went in??

or have they just made you a set of keys, you walk in, wave.. off you go??

Did joke with him about taking a Raptor for a spin and he jumped up and got the keys to one:-X04......Brother in law and wife got to have fun while I did paperwork.....:(