Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   What have you done to your truck today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1004055-what-have-you-done-to-your-truck-today.html)

1986F150six 01-07-2014 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by 84StraightSix (Post 13926876)
My old truck did not like the 4 deg weather this morning i was worried it wasn't gonna start but with a little luck and a couple of turns to the switch she it woke up. No problems after that except for some reason the blower for the heat didn't turn on until i was a couple miles down the road.

Welcome to the forum, 84Straightsix!

This is not an uncommon problem. Most likely, due to the cold, the grease lubricating the key tumbler [mechanical ignition switch] was cold/stiff, which prevents the key fully returning to the "on" position. Try slightly rotating the key CCW and most likely, the fan [as well as turn signals and gauges] will operate normally. ;)

84StraightSix 01-07-2014 02:26 PM

I thought it felt a little hard to turn this morning
First winter with my truck...new experiences lol

Gary Lewis 01-07-2014 02:39 PM

Yes, welcome to FTE. And, if the switch doesn't come fully back to Run you'll find the turn signals and several other things don't work. Common problem in cold weather.

Dorsai 01-07-2014 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dorsai (Post 13925505)
Good question - I didn't try to drive it, what with the registration issue and all. I suspect it would be much like yours, though; when I moved it out of the garage last night it was a little slow to get in gear, I can only imagine it would be worse today.

This has been nagging at me all day, so I decided to take it for a spin around the block, tags be damned...

...so I fired it up, backed out of my driveway (which is really just rolling downhill, given how steep it is), put it in drive, and...nothing happened. It took two or three minutes for it to finally get into gear, at which point it started moving and seemed to be fine from then on. Is this normal behavior for an old C6? Or does it indicate that a problem needs looking into?

Rogue_Wulff 01-07-2014 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dorsai (Post 13927216)
This has been nagging at me all day, so I decided to take it for a spin around the block, tags be damned...

...so I fired it up, backed out of my driveway (which is really just rolling downhill, given how steep it is), put it in drive, and...nothing happened. It took two or three minutes for it to finally get into gear, at which point it started moving and seemed to be fine from then on. Is this normal behavior for an old C6? Or does it indicate that a problem needs looking into?

My C6 did that for 4-5 years, mostly in cooler weather. Then, one day it just completely quit pulling in any forward gear. Still had reverse....
There is a seal/o-ring that gets worn and hardened over time. When this happens, it can take a bit for any forward gears to engage. Typically, more time for cooler conditions.
The seal itself is cheap, but replacing it requires complete trans disassembly. At that point, might as well rebuild the dern thing, since it's not much more cost......

Or, it could just be a bit low on fluid.......

Gary Lewis 01-07-2014 04:17 PM

Drove Dad's truck today after it sat for two days in this COLD. This time it started right up and clunked like normal when I dropped it in gear. No hesitation on the tranny, it was ready to go. So, Matthew, my guess is that tomorrow yours would be ready to go since it was driven today. Give it a try before worrying too much.

ArdWrknTrk 01-07-2014 04:25 PM

I thought your Dad's truck was in pieces at the body shop?

Gary Lewis 01-07-2014 04:30 PM

Ooopssss! RUSTY! I drove Rusty. Thanks. Wishful thinking?

ArdWrknTrk 01-07-2014 04:42 PM

Maybe?

I'm wishing for a beachfront cabana in St.Barth's right about now.

Gary Lewis 01-07-2014 04:56 PM

I can sympathize with that sentiment. However, as Chris foretold, we have a heat wave right now - it got to 43 today. Such a dramatic change from yesterday. So, there's hope. Hang in there.

ArdWrknTrk 01-07-2014 04:59 PM

It was 53* the other morning when I got up! :)
Not bad here right now. (about 8)

KsCop 01-07-2014 06:55 PM

It got a bit warmer here today as well, getting up to 43. That motivated me to get out to the shop; which makes no sense since the shop is heated - must be that trek down the driveway..

In any case, I finally got the power to the distributor re-wired and the new plugs in. Started it up and it's running smooth as silk; no miss at all now. I still need to fine tune the timing, adjust the carburetor, replace the throttle cable (maybe fab a bracket) and hook up the EVAP. I'm hoping to get that all done tomorrow and she'll be back on the road.

For anyone installing a DUI / HEI ignition - take the power requirements seriously. I had 12v going to the coil, but it wasn't all 12g wire and I'm wondering if it was regulated to 12v. There was just enough loss to cause problems. Installed a relay triggered by the KEY ON power with power to the coil coming straight from the battery. I'm getting direct alternator voltage (14v) at the coil now and what a difference.

It only took me two weeks to get to this point working an hour or two here and there. I actually have a day off tomorrow so here's hoping..

This is all the stuff that came out and isn't going back..

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...81672052_n.jpg

bruno2 01-07-2014 07:11 PM

I drove the F 250 today. I let the grid heater cycle for about 30 seconds and she lit right up.

Gary Lewis 01-07-2014 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by KsCop (Post 13928029)
It got a bit warmer here today as well, getting up to 43. That motivated me to get out to the shop; which makes no sense since the shop is heated - must be that trek down the driveway..

In any case, I finally got the power to the distributor re-wired and the new plugs in. Started it up and it's running smooth as silk; no miss at all now. I still need to fine tune the timing, adjust the carburetor, replace the throttle cable (maybe fab a bracket) and hook up the EVAP. I'm hoping to get that all done tomorrow and she'll be back on the road.

For anyone installing a DUI / HEI ignition - take the power requirements seriously. I had 12v going to the coil, but it wasn't all 12g wire and I'm wondering if it was regulated to 12v. There was just enough loss to cause problems. Installed a relay triggered by the KEY ON power with power to the coil coming straight from the battery. I'm getting direct alternator voltage (14v) at the coil now and what a difference.

It only took me two weeks to get to this point working an hour or two here and there. I actually have a day off tomorrow so here's hoping..

This is all the stuff that came out and isn't going back..

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...81672052_n.jpg

Looks like the tote that I have of "stuff". So far no one's wanted it. Anyway, it is such a good feeling to get one running - finally.

KsCop 01-07-2014 09:42 PM

The 'stuff' is just the computer, harness, solenoids, AIR pump & hoses, and old Feedback Carburetor. I have the old distributor also.

The solenoids were bad as was the carburetor so I went ahead with the conversion. The AIR pump also has a bad bearing and wouldn't work right without the computer anyway. The truck doesn't have catalytic converters either. The EGR valve was bad and I blocked off the port. The pipe is still there and I could re-enable it using a new valve and vacuum control. I converted the EVAP to vacuum control so I could keep that.

Overall, it's much cleaner under the hood now and less complicated I think. While I have it in the shop, I think I'm going to pull the valve cover and clean / paint it. Now that all the wiring is out, you can actually see the valve cover. Might go ahead and paint the air cleaner housing while I'm at it..