Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum39/)
-   -   Buildup!! 06 crown vic front suspension into 67 F100 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/716058-buildup-06-crown-vic-front-suspension-into-67-f100.html)

shuteme00 10-20-2009 10:16 PM

For information on the carb'd 4.6 swap search "Junkyard Jewel Ford 4.6l 2v" at hotrod . com, they did an article that shows a lot. I'm intending on using the complete 4.6 as pulled from the '03 police interceptor I picked up. I pulled every wire and every electrical component, figuring its best to have it all. Figuring out the motor & electrical portion of my project probably won't happen until at least next summer though.

Shoestring 10-20-2009 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by shuteme00 (Post 8056805)
For information on the carb'd 4.6 swap search "Junkyard Jewel Ford 4.6l 2v" at hotrod . com, they did an article that shows a lot. I'm intending on using the complete 4.6 as pulled from the '03 police interceptor I picked up. I pulled every wire and every electrical component, figuring its best to have it all. Figuring out the motor & electrical portion of my project probably won't happen until at least next summer though.

I am doing this same thing currently and I thought the front suspension part of the project was hard. This is a pain. I am currently working on the fuel system and then am going to attack the electrical. I like you am using the stock computer and all the original wiring so I have my hands full right now.

SS

pidaster 10-21-2009 12:17 PM

For those of you who have done the crown vic front end already, can a block be put between the frame and the new suspension to keep it from lowering 5 inches? I only want to lose about 3" if possible. Called my local salvage yard and they wanted $175 for the front end.

THAT.GUY 10-21-2009 06:23 PM

What do I need?

I found a 04 Crown Vic. P-71 complete w/ 51,000 and I am getting the suspension for $250. I will be taking apart the vic this weekend so my question is what exactly do I need to take off. I wil be putting the suspension in an 72 F100sc. I will only have one weekend to get everything I need off so I want to make sure I get everything I need to make this work. Anything will help. I have not read all the threads so I'm not totally sure.

LBF 10-22-2009 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by 72-F100-4V (Post 7030468)
Here is what you want.

Tell them to drop the whole front suspension.

You want it from disc to disc.
All 4 long bolts and nuts for the main mounts.
Lower control arm bracket and its 6 bolts with nuts.
Brake lines uncut and disconnected at the frame.
Upper cross member mount and its bolts.
Calipers.
All of the power rack and its lines.

If they will give them to you, get the motor mounts!! If there are plans for a modular motor, you will need these, they will work with any mod motor (to the best of my research!). That is if they are anything like the Maruader mounts, I have never seen these to compare.

This post from page 37 has what you will need.

LBF 10-22-2009 04:11 AM

It's a start...

I now have a parts truck '65 F250, and am in the process of finding a P71 front suspension and a Lincoln Mark 8 for the IRS. I intend to do a stock rebuild on my '65, and install the new front/rear suspension underneath the parts truck frame once I get it completely stripped. Eventually the cab from my '65 will meet up with the modified frame... Has the issue with the Team 321 installation brackets been resolved when used with the Crown Vic subframe?

projectbad78 10-23-2009 10:55 AM

carcrafter, how did you ge tthe magnum wheels to fit, they area adiff pattern arent they?

THAT.GUY 10-23-2009 03:08 PM

So I'm taking the suspension off the cv myself. I don't need the master cyl. or booster? I don't have power brakes as of now. What about the power steering? Do I just grab all that aplies to page 37? This is a one shot thing I'm only going to get on day to get what I need. I will be dropping in a 302 w/ a c4. Please tell me what I need asap I will be getting this tomorrow morning. Thanks

LBF 10-24-2009 06:51 PM

Irs

I received this reply from Dave at dave@truckIRS.com :

interestingly enough, the issue was that the rear was lowered 5" and that was deemed too low at first glance... once the Crown Vic front was installed it was found to be the proper ride height.
Please correct me if I'm wrong by showing me any posts to the contrary.
The guy doing the crown vic install on ford-trucks.com chose a different path for the IRS install.

I recently purchased a crown vic front suspension and have a neighbor with a 54 ford looking for a front end.
He already spent a fortune on a rear suspension with huge tires ( more of a dragster look vs. a cruiser ) anyway, I'm looking to fit a crown vic front suspension for him and post a bunch of install photos on my site - as I did the rear suspension install. Along the way I'll fab any necessary brackets, tubing, braces, etc. and look to provide those as a kit.

let me know if you have any questions.... and like I said, if you have any information regarding my rear IRS mounting brackets - pros or cons, please let me know.

dave

Looks like I'll go ahead with my Lincoln Mark 8 purchase - I'm still working on finding a P71 Front suspension!

Red2003XLT 10-24-2009 08:14 PM

Curious that a guy going for a dragster look would spend money on IRS.

Most of the big-n-little crowd favors a nine inch that can take a 500hp brute.

I've got his site bookmarked

LBF 10-24-2009 08:32 PM

neighbor

I don't think Dave's neighbor has an IRS - Dave is looking to install the Crown Vic suspension and add some items to his product line. I'm looking forward to the pics - the ones he has of the IRS are great.

carcrafter22 10-25-2009 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by projectbad78 (Post 8065322)
carcrafter, how did you ge tthe magnum wheels to fit, they area adiff pattern arent they?

Alot of guys like to bring up the fact that they are different pattern, fact is they are only 1/2 a mm which is only a hair off, honestly not enough to matter and they work very well. I think one guy even said using this setup will bend the wheel studs, hahaha what a joke:-missingt I have taken this truck down oil rig roads many time and believe me brother those are some rough and beat up roads, afterwards I checked all the studs and suspension over very wee (since I am running and 800 pound engine by the way) and all was still in perfect condition aside from some extra dirt.

In other words they just bolt right on with no problems.

carcrafter22 10-25-2009 10:00 PM

Dave is a nice guy but way over priced on his product, I have about $250 total on my IRS install and his brackets will not work with the CV front end, oh and my cost does include fully boxing the frame and buying the complete IRS. His brackets alone are almost twice that.

I will offer this piece of advice, I would recomend having the front suspension installed and set to the ride hieght you want, then install the IRS so you can mount the subframe where you want it then set your springs up accordingly to match the front however you want.

projectbad78 10-25-2009 10:35 PM

alrigth, thanks for that, theres a guy on another forum im on wantin to run them and some guy said his wheels would fall off, i got a mic and its only like the width of a ink pen line

pidaster 10-25-2009 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by pidaster (Post 8058379)
For those of you who have done the crown vic front end already, can a block be put between the frame and the new suspension to keep it from lowering 5 inches? I only want to lose about 3" if possible.

Originally Posted by jmfnx (Post 7421350)
3. The old frame is not as tall as the new frame and needs to be raised where the 4 crossmember bolts clam on the frame. Many people weld small 3/8" plates to to where the four bolts pass through the frame and additional smaller 3/8" plates on top of the ones just welded on to build up the height. (this will make sense when you test fit the unit to the frame.

Does this mean I could simply weld a 3/4" spacer to the bottom of the frame to keep it from lowering so much?