Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   What have you done to your truck today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1004055-what-have-you-done-to-your-truck-today.html)

JayzDaddy 04-11-2013 01:57 PM

Changed my radiator today. Very very easy. Took 25 minutes. You wouldnt believe the crap and crud that came out of that thing. Probably half a skoal can full of slime.

TheKirbyMan 04-11-2013 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by 1983F1503004x4 (Post 13049123)
Kirby,

Double check and make sure your manifolds and carb are tightened down right, then hook a timing light up to it anyway. Check the mechanical advance by revving up the motor, then un-hook and plug the vacuum advance. Suck on the vacuum advance to see if the vacuum advance is functioning properly and whether or not it starts to pull on the timing like it's supposed to.

Problems under load can be vacuum leaks, improper initial timing, vacuum advance not functioning or giving too much/not enough timing, problems with accelerator pumps, floats, or such in the carb, or a plugged exhaust.

You say the ignition is good, so I'm not going to mention anything regarding that.

You'll also want to make sure the transmission is kicking down right like it's supposed to.

I actually went ahead and advanced the timing some (turned the distributor clockwise). It seems to run better, but now I have a hard start. It'll crank and run, but the starter seems to be ready for a replacement since it'll grind and drag. We'll see how it does in a minute though, it's sat up for a couple hours and had time to cool.

And about the exhaust....I have about 2-3ft of 2" pipe coming right off the manifolds and that's it. There's nothing to plug, lol.

As it sits right now, my truck is actually drivable. I'm about to go take it to go get some lunch actually, then it's back home to do a plug and wire change on the Dodge. Also gotta take the church van up to the Chevy dealership for a COMPLETE service (including trans filter and fluid change - glad my pastor gave me the green light on that), then come back home and get a shower, THEN go to GED class even though I've already taken and passed my GED. They want me to help teach now lol.

ArdWrknTrk 04-11-2013 04:34 PM

I replaced the 'Horse Shoe' DuraSpark coil connector.

Local CarQuest couldn't find it on the computer even after I showed them in their own back counter catalog.

I had the Pico, Dorman, Delco and BWD numbers on hand when I walked in the door.

5733C Pico
85848 Dorman
PT1921 Delco
PT5764 BWD
(for those who want to know)

I ordered it on my phone from Ebay while standing at the counter shaking my head.
I got shipping confirmation before I got home from work and it arrived in the mail today. :D

'86 F150 04-12-2013 09:45 PM

I installed the tach/trip meter on my '86 F150 I got last weekend for $5. It works but I forgot to check blinker bulbs on the new cluster so I got to pull it back apart and change them some time.

TheKirbyMan 04-12-2013 10:26 PM

My truck has been running PERFECTLY. The timing was off a little bit and now it's pretty close to where it needs to be. It's a bit hard to start but I'm not too worried about it since it runs like a top. No stumbling, no loading up, just nice and smooth.

Also I got my tach hooked up finally, it had been unhooked since I installed the MSD box. Come to find out, you can connect the factory tach straight to the tach output on the MSD box, no adapter required. Needless to say, I was very pleased with that. lol

bruno2 04-13-2013 12:44 AM

Which wires do you hook up Kirby?

FordFETruck 04-13-2013 02:01 AM

Anyone know how to identify how many amps your alternator is? mine is the internal regulated one and am curious to see how many amps it is.

ArdWrknTrk 04-13-2013 04:11 AM

A 2G alternator is rated at 60-75A

'four hole' 3G at 95A
'two hole' 3G at 130A

85lebaront2 04-13-2013 06:45 AM

Matthew, if it is the original alternator Ford usually stamped the rating on the front half near the mounting bolt hole (longer one). It will look like "12V 65 amps".

bruno2 04-13-2013 08:04 AM

If it's the 2G it's a fire waiting to happen.

ArdWrknTrk 04-13-2013 08:42 AM

If it's an '86 it isn't a 3G unless someone already swapped it.

FordFETruck 04-13-2013 02:50 PM

The alternator on my truck could possibly be the original, both the housing AND the voltage regulator have MOTORCRAFT stamped right on it, and it looks older than the hills. Charges perfectly though lol.

ArdWrknTrk 04-13-2013 03:43 PM

Yeah, I'd agree with Bruno.
At the very least swap in a new charging plug.
There are dozens of threads where I've posted the numbers from eight different manufacturers.

FordFETruck 04-13-2013 04:52 PM

Someone please educate me on this fire hazard, I've never heard a thing about it with the 2G alternators.

Now with the 2G business, is the 1G the external regulated, the 2G the one like I have that's internally regulated. Then the 3G the big powerful diesel alternator?

SideWinder4.9l 04-13-2013 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk (Post 13060856)
Yeah, I'd agree with Bruno.
At the very least swap in a new charging plug.
There are dozens of threads where I've posted the numbers from eight different manufacturers.

Ford released a TSB on the matter, that ANY alternator work, warranted a new plug.

$10 or your truck up in smoke. Your choice.