Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   the official OBS diesel off topic thread (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1157402-the-official-obs-diesel-off-topic-thread.html)

madMatador78 04-11-2014 07:09 PM

Well looks like tomorow morning I'll be heading to the big state of Ohio, Dayton specifically, for a drum corps comp that my buddy is in. He wasn't sure if he could get me in or not until today. Going to leave at the crack of dawn. Now I'm I a alast minute rush to make sure the rig is all ready. It's going to be close to 1000 miles round trip so that should give everything a good shake down. Although it's been running great. Just trying to make sure all the I's are dotted and T's crossed.

strokin'_tatsch 04-11-2014 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by madMatador78 (Post 14253307)
Well looks like tomorow morning I'll be heading to the big state of Ohio, Dayton specifically, for a drum corps comp that my buddy is in. He wasn't sure if he could get me in or not until today. Going to leave at the crack of dawn. Now I'm I a alast minute rush to make sure the rig is all ready. It's going to be close to 1000 miles round trip so that should give everything a good shake down. Although it's been running great. Just trying to make sure all the I's are dotted and T's crossed.

I hope your preparations are cheaper than mine were this week. I'm going about 600 miles this weekend. Found a squeal at the driver side front, ended up being a bad unit bearing. Two new unit bearings and front brakes done.. Yesterday it started cranking slow.. Two new batteries done. Truck has to look good, so washed it inside and out last night... Oil change tonight and I'll be ready to head out at 5am tomorrow morning. It's been an expensive week! LOL Have a safe trip!

oldbird1965 04-11-2014 07:55 PM

Have a safe trip both of you!

tshrager 04-11-2014 08:09 PM

Anyone have a set of manual hubs they are wiling to part with?

Sorry Tom...trying to get as many eyes on it as possible.

madMatador78 04-11-2014 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch (Post 14253364)
I hope your preparations are cheaper than mine were this week. I'm going about 600 miles this weekend. Found a squeal at the driver side front, ended up being a bad unit bearing. Two new unit bearings and front brakes done.. Yesterday it started cranking slow.. Two new batteries done. Truck has to look good, so washed it inside and out last night... Oil change tonight and I'll be ready to head out at 5am tomorrow morning. It's been an expensive week! LOL Have a safe trip!

Yeah I shelled out a little, 4 jugs of coolant, 4 gallons of water, a gallon of oil, a extra coolant filter, extra fuel filter, a quart of ATF, truck wash. Yeah not as much as you but I feel better having all that stuff. I know it's overkill but I'd rather be prepared than surprised. You have a safe trip as well!

And thanks Glenn!

strokin'_tatsch 04-11-2014 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by madMatador78 (Post 14253552)
Yeah I shelled out a little, 4 jugs of coolant, 4 gallons of water, a gallon of oil, a extra coolant filter, extra fuel filter, a quart of ATF, truck wash. Yeah not as much as you but I feel better having all that stuff. I know it's overkill but I'd rather be prepared than surprised. You have a safe trip as well!

And thanks Glenn!

My unit bearings and batteries killed me big time. Stupid super duty unit bearings are like $300 a piece.... :-X16 Changed both sides. Makes me want to park this thing and go back to the OBS yet again. LOL. All I ever had to do to prepare what pretty much the same stuff you did. Oil, filters, kick the tires..

madMatador78 04-11-2014 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch (Post 14253590)
My unit bearings and batteries killed me big time. Stupid super duty unit bearings are like $300 a piece.... :-X16 Changed both sides. Makes me want to park this thing and go back to the OBS yet again. LOL. All I ever had to do to prepare what pretty much the same stuff you did. Oil, filters, kick the tires..

Ouch! Yeah that definatly hurts the pocket book. I would have done the same. I couldn't have changed one knowing the other was pry close behind it. I was getting plenty of weird looks from behind the counter. Then I told them I was going on a trip and it's like a light came on. I guess they aren't use to people coming in to be preventative. Lol. I'm sure it will all go without a hitch. Double checked and even have a spare CPS in the glove box. Lol

oldbird1965 04-12-2014 12:22 AM

There is a point where I tell my self to stop, LOL I go way over board on preventive maintenance, been on the side of the road to many times. Its impossible to out guess what might break down but I try. Ten years ago when I started this RV stuff compared to now, I'm on the side of the road a lot less. I think its worth the extra money spent. I have lots of spares too! :)

Talyn 04-12-2014 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch (Post 14253590)

They make a conversion kit for it.

They are usually okay if you dont run monster tires though.

Talyn 04-12-2014 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by oldbird1965 (Post 14254105)
There is a point where I tell my self to stop, LOL I go way over board on preventive maintenance, been on the side of the road to many times. Its impossible to out guess what might break down but I try. Ten years ago when I started this RV stuff compared to now, I'm on the side of the road a lot less. I think its worth the extra money spent. I have lots of spares too! :)

It's pulling good now that the exhaust leak is fixed, yes?

Talyn 04-12-2014 09:06 AM

I just remembered i have to re-install my scan gauge today.

ooops.

oldbird1965 04-12-2014 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Talyn (Post 14254463)
It's pulling good now that the exhaust leak is fixed, yes?

Yes, getting the exhaust leak fixed made a big difference in performance.

BBslider001 04-12-2014 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by madMatador78 (Post 14253307)

Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch (Post 14253364)

Jealous of you guys! Road trips rule, when nothing goes wrong of course! be safe and have a great time! Thomas, hope all things come together for you. Sounds like truck has been running well and your work is paying off. :-drink

BBslider001 04-12-2014 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by oldbird1965 (Post 14254105)

Glenn, I am right there with you. Between hauling horse to shows and pulling a big RV, I have learned the hard "unprepared" way. So far, for this truck, I have ALL fluids on board, spare CPS, spare IDM, spare hoses for transmission cooler lines, spare fuel line, fuel filter with cap, spare thermostat, spare IVS switch, spare TPS, two spare tires, and a box of luck. :-X04 My next round of money will get me a spare IPR, ICP, and maybe a PCM if I can find a good used one. It might be overkill, but being on the side of the road, in Kansas, in the middle of August, with three very expensive horses was enough to scare me to death. It just ended up being a CPS on my last '97, and that was years ago, but I remember it all too well. The only thing spare I had then was oil and coolant. Thank God for AAA!

strokin'_tatsch 04-12-2014 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Talyn (Post 14254462)

They make a conversion kit for it.

They are usually okay if you dont run monster tires though.

I know. I have a Dynatrac kit sitting at the house for the SD axle going under my OBS. LOL. I seriously considered putting it in my SD, but buying another dynatrac kit would suck.....