Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum32/)
-   -   Here we go, Ford over timing chain issue SOHC!!!! Help!! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/212219-here-we-go-ford-over-timing-chain-issue-sohc-help.html)

micgang 12-28-2005 06:46 PM

I think that my 2002 Explorer may have this issue, but want to hear your opinions before I take the vehicle to Ford. It has 71,802 miles and at about 2500 RPMs there is a loud rattle that starts from the engine. Is this what I think it is?

jthomas92277 01-01-2006 11:11 PM

98 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 115k

I bought this at 98k at 99 the noise started took it to the dealler said that it wasn't covered, I found out later some if it might have been covered for 100k--O Well thats done. Now, is this vehicle worth anything or is it garbage? It is in perfect condition except for the very loud sound and rough Idle at startup.

Any help woukd be great thanks
Jay

Pam S 01-14-2006 10:22 PM

Timing Chain Issue

I have a 1999 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0 SOC that has been making noise for some time. I finally took it to the Ford dealer and was informed it was a timing chain noise. They gave me a price of $2,000 to have it repaired and advised me that they did not want to do the job because they have had problems with others they have done. They said either to replace the motor or trade it in. The motor was quoted at $5,000. Just for a second opinion I took it to RPM Automotive. they basically told me the same thing Ford told me. The truck has 110,000 miles on it. It is in otherwise great shape inside and outside. I still owe $7,000 on this damned truck. Any advice?

IB Tim 01-15-2006 06:23 AM

...Welcome jthomas92277 and Pam S, to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.:-X22

JF5speed 01-15-2006 06:43 AM

once on here someone had luck with a can of stuff to quiet noisey lifters, the timming chain has hydrolic plungers that get gummed up and stick and do-not tighten the chain, go to a napa store and ask for a good product for noisey lifters [ they have the same problem] or do a search on here under timming chain

good luck!!!

Pam S 01-15-2006 09:19 AM

Thanks for the info Jspeed. I have heard that Lucas makes an excellent product. I will probably try and tade it in soon but because I am a couple grand upside down on the loan. I am not sure what to do. I appreciate your input and will try the lucas. I work for a Saturn dealer and the mechanics recommended a heavier weight oil so they put straight 30 weight in it friday. It seems to have helped some.

RFink 01-15-2006 11:19 AM

Re: Here we go , Ford .....

My daughters 99 Sport ( 4.0 SOHC 88K ) has been having some issues with the check engine light . Replaced lower intake , several days later , lights on again with the same codes as before , O2 sensors , etc ... Left the truck for a week + , the condition is only present at cold start ( code reader was all over the place - ok when warm ) with an area not receiving oil (?). I'll jam a 4.6 2V in before I throw $ at a prob Ford is ignoring . Ford still make a 4.0 pushrod ?

Viking2005 01-16-2006 06:17 AM

Pam S,

JF5Speed is correct. I had a 97 Explorer with 4.0L SOHC. At 25k I had Ford replace upper timing chain tensioner under warrenty (or silent recall as I have heard some on this forum state). Truck was fine till I passed 100k, then I randomly had noise at startup, cold or hot. Brought it to Ford, and they stated it could be upper timing chain tensioner-$300 repair or lower tessioner, necesitating removal of motor-$2,000+ repair. They would not know till they took motor apart. So I started substitiuting 1 Qt Marval Mystery Oil for one regular qt of oil every oil change (every 2500-3000 miles). This reduced time and loudness of noise/stopped noise till I traded in the 97 for a 05 this summer (sale event), though this time I went for the 4.6 V8. I did not want a repeat. I ran my 97 with the Marval for over a year and a half with no ill affects. Hope this helps.

badcuda 01-16-2006 08:59 AM

oh no !!!!!!!!!!!!!

well i bought my daughter a 99 ford explorer sport 2 weeks ago. well this weekend i changed the oil and now the thing is rattiling,after reading all these posts im feeling kind of sick,no i'll take that back i am sick.this vehicle has 73000 miles on it what are my options as far as warranty or recall. i spent my last penny on this thing

z28dug 01-16-2006 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by badcuda
well i bought my daughter a 99 ford explorer sport 2 weeks ago. well this weekend i changed the oil and now the thing is rattiling,after reading all these posts im feeling kind of sick,no i'll take that back i am sick.this vehicle has 73000 miles on it what are my options as far as warranty or recall. i spent my last penny on this thing

Did you buy it private or from a dealer? If you got it from a dealer I would be paying them a visit.

badcuda 01-16-2006 10:18 AM

bought it private.

badcuda 01-16-2006 10:59 AM

how can i narrow this down or am i just going to have to take it to the dealer.and are there actually recalls on this or not

z28dug 01-16-2006 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by badcuda
how can i narrow this down or am i just going to have to take it to the dealer.and are there actually recalls on this or not

I owned a 99 before I got my 03. Ford recognized there was an issue with the timing chain tensioners and extended the warranty to 6 years/72K miles. Owners were notified under ONP 00M12.

The left chain guide was covered for 7 years/100K miles, thas was ONP 01M01.

badcuda 01-16-2006 03:39 PM

new twist. ford says my model with the ohv engine does not suffer this problem,is this correct? if so then what else should i check for this noise

katdaddy 01-23-2006 03:25 PM

Guys, I'm getting a headache reading all these posts. I have a 02 with a 4.0L and I know someone else that has a 04. Both are under 50K miles. Is there a recall on these ?? If so, where can I read up on it?

Thanks!!