Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   What have you done to your truck today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1004055-what-have-you-done-to-your-truck-today.html)

85lebaront2 12-08-2012 06:29 PM

I would probably go with one of the Holley replacements, not the 500cfm carb, it's more of a race carb than street. The only one other than the 500 is a 350cfm. Your engine could probably handle a 500, but if you can scrounge a 4bbl intake, then a 600cfm carb will work real well. If you don't mind rebuilding a Ford 2bbl, try junkyards for one of the larger Ford carbs, the venturii size is cast on the side, the one you want (best) is the 1.33 from the old 410 Mercury FE engine, next best is the 1.21 from the 400 and 390 engines.

Edelbrock doesn't make 2bbls. Gary Lewis and a few others on here swear by them, I'm more partial to Holleys on Fords.

85lebaront2 12-08-2012 06:29 PM

I would probably go with one of the Holley replacements, not the 500cfm carb, it's more of a race carb than street. The only one other than the 500 is a 350cfm. Your engine could probably handle a 500, but if you can scrounge a 4bbl intake, then a 600cfm carb will work real well. If you don't mind rebuilding a Ford 2bbl, try junkyards for one of the larger Ford carbs, the venturii size is cast on the side, the one you want (best) is the 1.33 from the old 410 Mercury FE engine, next best is the 1.21 from the 400 and 390 engines.

Edelbrock doesn't make 2bbls. Gary Lewis and a few others on here swear by them, I'm more partial to Holleys on Fords.

85lebaront2 12-08-2012 06:36 PM

Today, once our fog bank finally cleared off (around 1 PM) I was able to repaint the 96 dash with the proper color Opal Gray paint from Late Model Restoration. I assembled it as far as I could after that. The fianl stuff has to be done in the truck (speedometer into cluster and a couple of minor wiring changes). If the weather holds I will see if I can get it in before I head back across the bay for Christmas.

FordFETruck 12-08-2012 06:42 PM

I put the smallest step up springs in my carb, engine didn't stumble or anything at 1300 RPM high idle, we'll see how it does on the road.

Gary, I hooked my Sun Pro gauge lights up today, they are kinda dim. I will get a picture in a bit of them light up.

ArdWrknTrk 12-08-2012 06:50 PM

Bill,
I gave Josiah my Holley 1848, 465CFM 4 barrel for his I-6.
It's a 4160 style carb w/ electric choke.

Though I had intended to use it in my 347 project F100, that was never going to happen...
It seems a good choice for small V-8's

FordFETruck 12-08-2012 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by 85lebaront2 (Post 12574450)
I'm more partial to Holleys on Fords.

It's about time someone said that!! I like the Edelbroke but give me a Holley any day for it being on a Ford.

Gary Lewis 12-08-2012 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by 85lebaront2 (Post 12574451)
Gary Lewis and a few others on here swear by them, I'm more partial to Holleys on Fords.

Many of our engines have aftermarket pistons, heads, and manifold so I guess it's the brand of cast iron in the block that makes the Holley's work better? }>

Originally Posted by FordFETruck (Post 12574508)
I put the smallest step up springs in my carb, engine didn't stumble or anything at 1300 RPM high idle, we'll see how it does on the road.

Gary, I hooked my Sun Pro gauge lights up today, they are kinda dim. I will get a picture in a bit of them light up.

IIRC, the 5" spring is the weakest, and that's the one I'm running. It is needed since the OD on the ZF5 drops the vacuum quite a bit.

As for the gauges, I really don't like how dim mine are. Not sure what I'm going to do, but will have to do something.

Galendor 12-08-2012 08:26 PM

I bought some Ford stock 7" wide steel wagon wheels with tires on them on Craigslist for super cheap. They had been painted black but were in good shape. The tires were 31 x 10.5, and not a brand I would have chosen but the price was really low.

Today I installed them, along with new chrome lug nuts, and Ford stock wheel covers plus beauty rings after I cleaned them all up. Fine cut rubbing compound works really well to clean the clear plastic/resin in the center of the stock wheel covers, which had become hazy probably due to sun and time over the decades.

I found that my truck has plenty of room in the wheel wells for 31x10.5 tires. Driving wise they feel about the same as my previous smaller tires (235 75 R15), but I think look a lot better. The bigger tires lifted my truck 1" higher.

I used copper anti-seize on the lug nut threads and tightened them to ~ 100 ft lbs. I found that the stock tire iron (under the hood in a bracket) works really well on the stock lug nuts, but not as well on the longer chrome closed-end style lug nuts (although it still works). A deep well socket works better for those, and is less likely to damage the finish.

Pics or it didn't happen:

Rear wheel:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ctureid=117068

Front wheel:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ctureid=117069

Whole truck:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ctureid=117070

Gary Lewis 12-08-2012 08:35 PM

Matt - Looks good!

Archion 12-08-2012 08:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nothing to my truck today, but this happened...

FordFETruck 12-08-2012 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis (Post 12574876)
Many of our engines have aftermarket pistons, heads, and manifold so I guess it's the brand of cast iron in the block that makes the Holley's work better? }>

IIRC, the 5" spring is the weakest, and that's the one I'm running. It is needed since the OD on the ZF5 drops the vacuum quite a bit.

As for the gauges, I really don't like how dim mine are. Not sure what I'm going to do, but will have to do something.

I'm using the 3" Blue springs now, when I started the truck usually with the 5" or stock springs it would stumble and not run that great on high idle. Seemed to run like it did with the 7" spring.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ctureid=117074

They are a little brighter than that in person, but for some reason the oil pressure light is the most dim. Weird.

Gary Lewis 12-08-2012 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Archion (Post 12574973)

It just "happened"? No planning? Looks like a wonderful "accident". :-X22 Congrat's are in order?

Galendor 12-08-2012 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis (Post 12574947)
Matt - Looks good!

Thanks Gary.

George Fletcher 12-09-2012 07:41 AM

Well yesterday I hauled logs and my pickup became a low rider the tires were almost riding on the wheel wells check out some of my pictures to see how my pickup normally sits then you could see it had a lot of weight back there. Today I plan on (If its not to cold) putting more undercoating my pickup, or cleaning out the inside, it got a little dirty in there with wood chips, bark, and all of the other lovely things that come with cutting down trees.

truckertrav 12-09-2012 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Archion (Post 12574973)

Congrats to the new couple.....
BTW, does she have a SINGLE twin sister???..Trav