Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   What have you done to your truck today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1004055-what-have-you-done-to-your-truck-today.html)

George Fletcher 11-30-2012 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by FordFETruck (Post 12543536)
Nope it doesn't, PS fluid is completely different than ATF, it's usually clear and thinner too. From what I've heard the best way to kill a Ford PS pump is to use PS fluid in it, I put Dexron VI full synthetic in mine to quiet it down and make the steering box smoother. But standard type F is what's called for in these trucks PS pumps.

Wow thank you for helping me dodge a bullet there! I'll go pickup up some PS fluid tomorrow! He said he put that in his pickup its a 79 ford ranger F150, i'm surprised that thing runs he said he hasn't changed the oil in 16 years and he said he doesn't even remember the last time he checked the oil or tranny fluid. That's not how my pickups gonna be ruined by some bad advice. I am so glad I found this forum. Saved me a few times and some money! Thanks FordFETruck.

FordFETruck 11-30-2012 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by George Fletcher (Post 12543630)
Wow thank you for helping me dodge a bullet there! I'll go pickup up some PS fluid tomorrow! He said he put that in his pickup its a 79 ford ranger F150, i'm surprised that thing runs he said he hasn't changed the oil in 16 years and he said he doesn't even remember the last time he checked the oil or tranny fluid. That's not how my pickups gonna be ruined by some bad advice. I am so glad I found this forum. Saved me a few times and some money! Thanks FordFETruck.

Any time, with me helping people out and answering questions it makes me feel useful in life lol

did you mean you were gonna pick up some ATF tomorrow? haha

I like to check fluids very often and change oil every 2,000 miles. I like my stuff to be in good shape, heck I even change the oil in my lawnmowers 2-3 times a year lol.

George Fletcher 11-30-2012 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by FordFETruck (Post 12543674)
Any time, with me helping people out and answering questions it makes me feel useful in life lol

did you mean you were gonna pick up some ATF tomorrow? haha

I like to check fluids very often and change oil every 2,000 miles. I like my stuff to be in good shape, heck I even change the oil in my lawnmowers 2-3 times a year lol.

I check the fluids in my pickup about once a week, I just replaced my valve cover gaskets after I leaked most of my oil out a while back but i haven't even hit 2000 miles on the oil before i changed those. at 3,000 miles I'll probably change it. I've been keeping a record of all of the stuff I have done to it. $1463 in it total that includes my $660 mudding tires, buying it ($450) and all the oil, fluid, locking gas caps, etc. I love my pickup to death and I want to make sure everything on it is perfect. After all it is my first vehicle.

FordFETruck 11-30-2012 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by George Fletcher (Post 12543763)
I check the fluids in my pickup about once a week, I just replaced my valve cover gaskets after I leaked most of my oil out a while back but i haven't even hit 2000 miles on the oil before i changed those. at 3,000 miles I'll probably change it. I've been keeping a record of all of the stuff I have done to it. $1463 in it total that includes my $330 mudding tires, buying it ($450) and all the oil, fluid, locking gas caps, etc. I love my pickup to death and I want to make sure everything on it is perfect. After all it is my first vehicle.

My truck is my first vehicle too, I bought it for $900 and have about $900 in to it, pretty good, I looked at some pure CRAP before I bought this, and if I bought anything I looked at I'd be way more in to it at that just to get them running good, not to mention all the body work I would have had to do. I got lucky and bought something that was taken pretty good care of all it's life and doesn't hardly have any rust in it at all. No holes in the body, although it does/did have some surface rust pitting in a couple weird spots, bottom of the doors, behind the pillar interior panels (window seal leak) and a couple other places like that. Nothing I can't take care of lol.

bruno2 11-30-2012 11:12 PM

ATF is fine to run in PS pumps. Its a lot cheaper than PS fluid too. The difference is that ATF is very high in detergents to keep the system clean and gunk free. That's important when dealing with valve bodies and small orifices where they need to be kept clean. Both are a mild hydraulic fluid. PS fluid would work in a tranny,but,not for very long because of the lack of detergents. I have heard people say they use type F in the PS pumps. However, I just run something like dexron/mercon III. Type F actually has an aggregate in it like really fine sand. This helps the clutches and bands lock up better in the older Ford automatics.

FordFETruck 12-01-2012 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by bruno2 (Post 12544551)
ATF is fine to run in PS pumps. Its a lot cheaper than PS fluid too. The difference is that ATF is very high in detergents to keep the system clean and gunk free. That's important when dealing with valve bodies and small orifices where they need to be kept clean. Both are a mild hydraulic fluid. PS fluid would work in a tranny,but,not for very long because of the lack of detergents. I have heard people say they use type F in the PS pumps. However, I just run something like dexron/mercon III. Type F actually has an aggregate in it like really fine sand. This helps the clutches and bands lock up better in the older Ford automatics.

Somewhere in my owners manual it says to use type F, but it's not really that important. Seems like any ATF you throw in those pumps will work, just not PS fluid.

85lebaront2 12-01-2012 09:41 AM

This actually started about a week ago. My former department manager borrowed my cooling system pressure tester. Yesterday evening he returned it and brought my a small present, an 8oz can of Kroil. This morning I gave the stubborn shoulder belt bolt a little bit of it, we'll see what happens.

On another note, has anyone ever removed the headliner from a crew cab? I need to get mine redone in a color to match the visors from the 96 parts truck.

George Fletcher 12-01-2012 01:51 PM

Well I got my intake manifold shined today. It had a little bit of gas and oil leakage a while ago when my valve cover gaskets broke. and when my carb was rebuilt. It was dirty I'll put a before and after picture of here so you guys can see how nice my Edelbrock intake is.

Fordzilla80 12-01-2012 01:51 PM

Lately I've been playing around with steering columns in the junkyard. I never paid much attention to it before, but it appears that the transmission lever/collar assembly on my steering column is trashed.

The spring that makes the lever return to it's original position seems to have disappeared from my column. Due to this, the transmission lever pin has eaten up the collar, so that the lever has a large range of motion up and down, as well as forward and back.

To save the column, I would at least have to tear it apart, drill out the pin holes on the collar and the hole in the lever, insert a new spring, and then use a larger pin.

But since it isn't a tilt column, I don't think it's worth it. I'm gonna keep my eyes open for a good condition tilt column for the truck.

FordFETruck 12-01-2012 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Fordzilla80 (Post 12546199)
Lately I've been playing around with steering columns in the junkyard. I never paid much attention to it before, but it appears that the transmission lever/collar assembly on my steering column is trashed.

The spring that makes the lever return to it's original position seems to have disappeared from my column. Due to this, the transmission lever pin has eaten up the collar, so that the lever has a large range of motion up and down, as well as forward and back.

To save the column, I would at least have to tear it apart, drill out the pin holes on the collar and the hole in the lever, insert a new spring, and then use a larger pin.

But since it isn't a tilt column, I don't think it's worth it. I'm gonna keep my eyes open for a good condition tilt column for the truck.

Got any pictures of it? hahahahaha

Fordzilla80 12-01-2012 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by FordFETruck (Post 12546265)
Got any pictures of it? hahahahaha

I'll get some later. :)

Dorsai 12-01-2012 02:58 PM

Turned it into a parade float again for the Cub Scouts:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ctureid=116472

The thing I enjoy most about being in the parade is that even the guy in our group who drives the shiny new Avalanche acknowledges the old Ford is the coolest vehicle we have in the parade. :)

Corner Gas 12-01-2012 03:46 PM

Changed the master cylinder on my 81, next I need to bleed the brakes tomorrow.

Galendor 12-01-2012 07:24 PM

What do ya'll think: will this help my ignition module stay cooler? You can buy these little aluminum heat sinks for a few bucks, they are backed with 3M thermal transfer tape.

Pretty pathetic attempt, I admit. But I guess it can't hurt. At least I can enjoy seeing how long before they fall off.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ctureid=116476

1983F1503004x4 12-01-2012 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Galendor (Post 12547559)
What do ya'll think: will this help my ignition module stay cooler? You can buy these little aluminum heat sinks for a few bucks, they are backed with 3M thermal transfer tape.

Pretty pathetic attempt, I admit. But I guess it can't hurt. At least I can enjoy seeing how long before they fall off.

I dunno... a heat sink works best with a fan to provide constant air flow.

If this doesn't do it, I'd get some wiring connectors, run wiring up into the cab, and mount the TFI module next to the fuse box or thereabouts by using the wiring as an extension to relocate it.

Or, if you wouldn't want it in the cab, I'd put it on the passenger fender between the battery and the side marker light, and mount it on the passenger fender.