Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   6.7 Glow Plug dropped ( pic added ) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1120772-6-7-glow-plug-dropped-pic-added.html)

oldschoolguy 12-16-2011 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Crazy001 (Post 11159305)
I don't mean to sound rude, but this story seems hard for me to believe. First of all when a valve comes apart it's going to give no warnign...no "rough road" feelings whatsoever. When it comes apart it's going to cause catastrophic damage to that one cylinder, but in no way could it damage the other 7 cylinders so it's likely that the engine would keep running albeit badly.

Never have heard of a bad valve damaging an oil passage, so the likelihood that the "low oil" light came on as the truck died is also unlikely. The only possible way I can think for this to happen would be for the pieces of valve to damage the turbo bearing seal, but the odds of that happening and draining out that much oil so soon after failure seem remote to me.

And finally, in the year and a half of these engines being released we've heard of very few engine replacements in pickup truck models. There have been a few for chassis/cab trucks, but this one the OP started is the second one I've seen where the engine has to be replaced. We may not be the biggest diesel forum around but we are certainly the biggest Ford truck forum around, and we've seen a lot of stuff.

Now I'm not saying that what you say is false, just that it's tough to believe. Otherwise welcome to FTE! :)

For starters, I never said anything about a valve. And secondly, I'm just passing on what dad said about his truck's last moments, and what the dealership told us. Something was right there, because that's how I found this thread in the first place. Maybe the shaking was a second issue that has yet to be addressed. Stoopid ford (sorry, couldn't resist). The rental place as far as I know is enterprise rental in chilliwack bc. Again, no verified facts, just what the guy told us. Maybe it was a freak accident of probabilities, or its more of an issue on the trucks sent up to canada, or the guy was bs-ing us. I'm not trolling or anything, just saw a similar problem and thought I'd pitch in. Its the beauty of forums. Share the problems, share the knowledge.

Tom 12-16-2011 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by oldschoolguy (Post 11159873)
For starters, I never said anything about a valve. And secondly, I'm just passing on what dad said about his truck's last moments, and what the dealership told us. Something was right there, because that's how I found this thread in the first place. Maybe the shaking was a second issue that has yet to be addressed. Stoopid ford (sorry, couldn't resist). The rental place as far as I know is enterprise rental in chilliwack bc. Again, no verified facts, just what the guy told us. Maybe it was a freak accident of probabilities, or its more of an issue on the trucks sent up to canada, or the guy was bs-ing us. I'm not trolling or anything, just saw a similar problem and thought I'd pitch in. Its the beauty of forums. Share the problems, share the knowledge.

The OP had a cracked valve that caused the damage to one cylinder.

So by saying that your dad has the same problem as the OP are you not saying that he had a cracked valve?

p12483 12-16-2011 11:46 AM

What is the build date for your vehicle?

oldschoolguy 12-16-2011 02:33 PM

Not sure on the build date, but it was bought in june or early july of last year.

And didn't the OP have a broken glow plug? That's what I read in the title. I can't go back too easily b/c I'm on my phone. Dads truck has a broken glo plug

Tom 12-16-2011 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by oldschoolguy (Post 11162048)
Not sure on the build date, but it was bought in june or early july of last year.

And didn't the OP have a broken glow plug? That's what I read in the title. I can't go back too easily b/c I'm on my phone. Dads truck has a broken glo plug

Nope, it was originally thought to be a glow plug. To make it easy for you and your phone, here's a link to the post with the pics and the clarification:

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Single Post - 6.7 Glow Plug dropped ( pic added )

And I stand by my comments on how it doesn't make much sense to me what they say happened to your father's truck. A glow plug breaking seems unlikely to cause a low oil pressure concern, and it's not possible for it to cause the truck to shudder before failing. Once it comes apart it would cause serious damage to only the affected cylinder.

oldschoolguy 12-16-2011 06:45 PM

thanks. The only thing I can say is that if that wasn't related, that there's more than one issue at the same time. POS ford. He should've got a duramax

2006lariat 12-16-2011 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy001 (Post 11162890)
Nope, it was originally thought to be a glow plug. To make it easy for you and your phone, here's a link to the post with the pics and the clarification:

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Single Post - 6.7 Glow Plug dropped ( pic added )

And I stand by my comments on how it doesn't make much sense to me what they say happened to your father's truck. A glow plug breaking seems unlikely to cause a low oil pressure concern, and it's not possible for it to cause the truck to shudder before failing. Once it comes apart it would cause serious damage to only the affected cylinder.

Deleted, I have no buisness in this post.

kper05 12-16-2011 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by oldschoolguy (Post 11162914)
thanks. The only thing I can say is that if that wasn't related, that there's more than one issue at the same time. POS ford. He should've got a duramax

I wanted to listen to this issue but that Duramax can fail too, since you threw that comment in there.
Isn't that fancy new LML or whatever engine 60+% new this year?
Now that 60% new has to work with the 40% previous design.
Duramax owners are in the same boat IMO.

oldschoolguy 12-17-2011 01:37 AM

I'm not going to go spout gm stuff on a thread like this, but everyone I know has had better luck with them.
All that aside, ill try keep up with the issues, and post any recent developments up here

04xcur 12-17-2011 01:14 PM

GOOOOOOOD NEWS !!!!

I just got the news today that Ford will replace the engine under warranty !!!
:-bigparty

They told me that the build date was quite early and that they knew there was a problem with these engines...

This is the best Christmas gift i could get !!!

Toreador_Diesel 12-17-2011 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by 04xcur (Post 11165245)

They told me that the build date was quite early and that they knew there was a problem with these engines...

Awesome news! Glad they owned up to it and took good care of you. May the new motor bring you years of troublefree service!

Tom 12-17-2011 02:54 PM

I'm glad to hear it, but I had no doubts that they would cover it from the beginning. There is simply no way the owner can cause a failure like this! :-X22

Bobmurp1 12-17-2011 06:09 PM

That's great news! Hopefully they figured out the weak link for the late 11 and up.

Dim Sum 12-17-2011 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy001 (Post 11165491)
There is simply no way the owner can cause a failure like this! :-X22

Well...provided the owner had no modifications to the powertrain that is.... }>

*just giving you a hard time Tom :). I'm very glad the OP was able to have his truck fixed without footing the entire bill! :-jammin

Tom 12-17-2011 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dim Sum (Post 11166189)
Well...provided the owner had no modifications to the powertrain that is.... }>

Actually, you may have a point there. So if someone were running aftermarket tuning which could push EGTs past safe limits could it not damage a valve? I'm no metallurgist so I don't know if a properly made valve can crack due to higher than designed temperatures.

:-hair