Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   What Have YOU Done To Your Truck Today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/931373-what-have-you-done-to-your-truck-today.html)

Shooter00 07-04-2010 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by alconk (Post 9071107)
Started on my 3G conversion and installed the 95 Lincoln MarkVIII electric fan. Will wire tomorrow... Hopefully.

Post some pics of the fan, if you get a chance!

460/5 07-04-2010 03:04 AM

how much was the fan?

blackkawi400 07-04-2010 04:18 AM

Pulled the dash apart today and un-loomed every bit of wiring under the hood. Found allot of wires going to nowhere, but no bad wires that may cause me issues on the road. Got rid of all the dead ends and organized and re-loomed the whole engine bay. Also replaced any crimped wires with solder and heat shrink. Got to a few things under the dash but ran out of sunlight.

The stock dashes in these things aren't the best lit things in the world, so I bought some super bright LED's to fix that issue. Theyre only 3.5-4.5 volts, so I'll wire 4 in series and put 14.4V to them. Only bad part is I'll lose my light adjustment, but it'll make keeping an eye on the vitals much easier at night.

Also went to the hardware store and picked up a crapload of black faced machine screws as the entire interior is held together with a hodge-podge of whatever the previous owners had laying around.

I got a week to make this thing cross-country ready, and I have a feeling I'll use it all up!!!

Day after tomorrow I also have to wire in the trailer brake controller, a 7-pin blade connector for the trailer, change out the rusted solid ball on the drop hitch and fix a few little wiring things here and there.

I'm also thinking about draining all the fluids including the diffs and tranny and transfer case and going with all synthetics. Any thoughts on this? I know in my car, the redline stuff made a pretty big difference and added a piece of mind in the long run. Just not sure how the older stuff would respond to it.

Anyways, lots of work ahead... I need to remember to break out the camera

USArmyTaterness 07-04-2010 05:18 AM

I bought my truck today a 77 highboy rust free a three inch suspension lift 36 in military tires no engine or transmissionbut that works for me sunce I want to drop my brand spanking rebuilt 1970 460 bored out to 520 producing 803 hp yay I'm going to do something stupid. Pictures will come when I get back from Germany

460/5 07-04-2010 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by blackkawi400 (Post 9071418)
I'm also thinking about draining all the fluids including the diffs and tranny and transfer case and going with all synthetics. Any thoughts on this? I know in my car, the redline stuff made a pretty big difference and added a piece of mind in the long run. Just not sure how the older stuff would respond to it.

Anyways, lots of work ahead... I need to remember to break out the camera

i will recommend goin with royal purple from the motor all the way down. has the best rep of all the synthetics ive heard of.

and get that camera out!! :D

Originally Posted by USArmyTaterness (Post 9071446)
I bought my truck today a 77 highboy rust free a three inch suspension lift 36 in military tires no engine or transmissionbut that works for me sunce I want to drop my brand spanking rebuilt 1970 460 bored out to 520 producing 803 hp yay I'm going to do something stupid. Pictures will come when I get back from Germany

awesome!! :-jammin

USArmyTaterness 07-04-2010 05:58 AM

I would have to agree I have had the best review from customers on royal purple when I worked in parts

460/5 07-04-2010 06:32 AM

^^^ there ya go BK400. royal purple it is.

horsepower tv did a segment on it once too. they put it in the motor, tranny, and rear end, and put it on the dyno before and after. they gained 9 horse power! hey, ill gladly change all my fluids if i can get 9 more HP out of it!

USArmyTaterness 07-04-2010 09:08 AM

Just be careful in some older engines synthetics actually cause damage because the oil is different it's for a lack of a better word thinner remember nature is way better at molecules had a lot more practice

The thing you need to look at is how many miles are on your parts off hand I cantt remembr but you shouldn't use synthetic below a certain milage or above a certain milage

piratius 07-04-2010 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by USArmyTaterness (Post 9071795)
The thing you need to look at is how many miles are on your parts off hand I cantt remembr but you shouldn't use synthetic below a certain milage or above a certain milage

Corvettes (and some Hondas!) come from the factory with Mobil-1, so I think that's an urban legend about not using it on new cars. Just have to drive them harder to break them in so the rings seat properly!

However, I will confirm that you don't want to swap from dinosaur oil to synthetic on a really OLD motor. The dino oil helps seals to swell and keep them tight over time. Synthetic oil doesn't, so you'll be fine for a while, then all the sudden you'll develop little leaks in stupid places - front & rear mains, valve covers, etc.

Back on topic - what did I do to my truck today?

-Got both parking brake cables after a screw-up with a parts order.
-Got both parking brake cables installed halfway (front/easy part)
-Got new front calipers & hoses
-Got a new rear brake hose

Hopefully going outside to install at least some of my goodies today. Depends on how badly I get yelled at by the wife!

~Brad

piratius 07-04-2010 11:17 AM

The stock dashes in these things aren't the best lit things in the world, so I bought some super bright LED's to fix that issue. Theyre only 3.5-4.5 volts, so I'll wire 4 in series and put 14.4V to them. Only bad part is I'll lose my light adjustment, but it'll make keeping an eye on the vitals much easier at night.

There's an easier way to make the stock bulbs brighter...there was a thread in the forums about it - you take apart the gauges and spray the reflector with a chrome-type paint, and it makes a huge difference.

A little digging found this:
Making the Dash Lights Brighter

It's not for our trucks, but the technique is identical, I believe!

~Brad

650 07-04-2010 12:02 PM

Instead of all that extra work with the volts you can just buy the 12 volt ones from here. I got mine for my dash and they look great, for like $4 a piece
Super Bright LEDs - Miniature Wedge Base Bulbs
Tip of advice. Instead of being an idiot like me when you put your Leds in they should only work with one polarity so if at first they dont work just flip them in the other way. Good luck though

650 07-04-2010 12:23 PM

I reinstalled my rearend, painted almost all of my frame forwards from the back of the cab. I also painted my Transfercase.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...id=231920&.jpg
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...id=231926&.jpg
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...id=231921&.jpg

Ace. 07-04-2010 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by 650 (Post 9072303)
Instead of all that extra work with the volts you can just buy the 12 volt ones from here. I got mine for my dash and they look great, for like $4 a piece
Super Bright LEDs - Miniature Wedge Base Bulbs
Tip of advice. Instead of being an idiot like me when you put your Leds in they should only work with one polarity so if at first they dont work just flip them in the other way. Good luck though

:-X0A6 $.79 a piece, and do they work with the dimmer?

giantj6ft7 07-04-2010 04:19 PM

Clead the MAF sensor....I'm spent!:-X17

NBC-Steve 07-04-2010 04:27 PM

I finished up my brake re-build project by replacing a faulty re-built master cylinder with a new master cylinder last weekend. Yesterday I took it to the car wash and had them detail it. (I had the engine and undercarriage detailed a few weeks ago.) I did some minor electrical repairs and replaced my stereo speakers. I also replaced the steering wheel with the stock leather grip wheel thanks to eBay.

Just waiting to save enough funds to add the 6" lift kit.

Looking really nice!

Picture is from yesterday.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_bpENc3XPQgA/TD...0/IMG00308.jpg