Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   What have you done to your truck today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1004055-what-have-you-done-to-your-truck-today.html)

19fifty4 06-11-2012 08:02 AM

Got the driveshaft hooked up. Figured out my wiring problem and got it to fire!

jthorngate3 06-11-2012 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis (Post 11938036)
Josiah - That's pretty good given all the go-fast goodies you have. Seems to be a nice balance of economy and power.

Yeah, I am pretty happy with it.

Edit: oops, deleted the first "quote" part.

siloketh 06-11-2012 10:44 AM

Went by my best friend & trusted mechanic's house Jon and he took my truck for a drive to figure out what was making my tranny sound funny. He says it seems like the pilot bearing or input shaft bearing could be going out but is unsure until he can pull it out and apart. Told him another ASE ford tech told me it was the throw out bearing but I didnt trust the guy because he refused to take a good thorough look at it like he did, so he recommended I go ahead and buy all 3 bearings.

Also found that my valve cover is starting to leak oil and the exhaust donut gasket is in need of replacing. Gonna install a new 195F· thermostat also since Veronica doesnt have one currently, a mechanical water/engine temp gauge (jon's recommendation), get my reverse lights workin again. Looks like my week vacation during the 4th of July is gonna be a fun filled one :-X06

Gary Lewis 06-11-2012 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by siloketh (Post 11939606)
Went by my best friend & trusted mechanic's house Jon and he took my truck for a drive to figure out what was making my tranny sound funny. He says it seems like the pilot bearing or input shaft bearing could be going out but is unsure until he can pull it out and apart. Told him another ASE ford tech told me it was the throw out bearing but I didnt trust the guy because he refused to take a good thorough look at it like he did, so he recommended I go ahead and buy all 3 bearings.

Also found that my valve cover is starting to leak oil and the exhaust donut gasket is in need of replacing. Gonna install a new 195F· thermostat also since Veronica doesnt have one currently, a mechanical water/engine temp gauge (jon's recommendation), get my reverse lights workin again. Looks like my week vacation during the 4th of July is gonna be a fun filled one :-X06

The pilot bearing shouldn't make any noise when the clutch is engaged since the input shaft is turning the same speed as the crank.

Nor should the throwout bearing make noise when the clutch is engaged as it should not be in contact with the pressure plate - unless your clutch mechanism is maladjusted.

The input bearing should only make noise when the clutch is engaged, although it is possible the input shaft will turn if you are in Neutral with the clutch disengaged. So, the real check is at a stop, in any gear, with the clutch disengaged - at which point the input shaft cannot be turning and the bearing cannot make any noise.

Rogue_Wulff 06-11-2012 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by 85lebaront2 (Post 11937706)
Dave, does your truck have king pins or ball joints? I don't remember when the F250 changed, mine still has king pins. If you have king pins, jack it up and check the play, should be almost none, then grease them thoroughly. Also look at the radius rod bushings at the frame end for wear and failure.

I truly believe that king pins can last a lifetime, if they are kept greased. Part of the greasing proceedure is jacking up the axle to remove the load from the king pin.

Yes, replacing king pins requires special tools. Unless you use the plastic/nylon bushing type, in which case you'll be doing it again at some point in the future........

siloketh 06-11-2012 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis (Post 11939691)
The pilot bearing shouldn't make any noise when the clutch is engaged since the input shaft is turning the same speed as the crank.

Nor should the throwout bearing make noise when the clutch is engaged as it should not be in contact with the pressure plate - unless your clutch mechanism is maladjusted.

The input bearing should only make noise when the clutch is engaged, although it is possible the input shaft will turn if you are in Neutral with the clutch disengaged. So, the real check is at a stop, in any gear, with the clutch disengaged - at which point the input shaft cannot be turning and the bearing cannot make any noise.

When the clutch is depressed, it makes no noise at all. Let off the clutch while in neutral it makes a clanging sound similiar to a motor knock. Driving in 1st 2nd gear it will make a whining noise but no clang. 3rd makes no noise at all & the same for 4th gear, except 4th will make the same clanging sound when underway but not as loudly when in neutral.

Edit:
My friend Jon diagnosed tbe trans problems but said he is unsure what could be causing the noise until me and him get it on his lift and pull it out & take a closer look. The bearings he told me to buy are just precautionary and he says they could be part of the problem if not the problem itself. But its still safe to drive he said since I "drive like granny daisy on a sunday afternoon"

Rogue_Wulff 06-11-2012 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by siloketh (Post 11940209)
When the clutch is depressed, it makes no noise at all. Let off the clutch while in neutral it makes a clanging sound similiar to a motor knock. Driving in 1st 2nd gear it will make a whining noise but no clang. 3rd makes no noise at all & the same for 4th gear, except 4th will make the same clanging sound when underway but not as loudly when in neutral.

That sounds like the bearing on the input shaft, at the front of the trans, or possibly the throwout bearing rubbing on the fingers of the pressure plate when released.
Does the noise occur if the clutch is depressed while moving and still in gear?
Does it change if you apply a little pressure to the clutch pedal while driving?

siloketh 06-11-2012 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff (Post 11940240)
That sounds like the bearing on the input shaft, at the front of the trans, or possibly the throwout bearing rubbing on the fingers of the pressure plate when released.
Does the noise occur if the clutch is depressed while moving and still in gear?
Does it change if you apply a little pressure to the clutch pedal while driving?

First question: yes, but not as loud almost faint but its evident
Second question: just slightly until it slips from gear when the clutch is depressed fully.

I've had mixed feelings about it being the flywheel improperly balanced or something not balanced right, but I know just as much about a transmission as a 4th grader does about thermonuclear warfare.

Rogue_Wulff 06-11-2012 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by siloketh (Post 11940268)
First question: yes, but not as loud almost faint but its evident
Second question: just slightly until it slips from gear when the clutch is depressed fully.

I've had mixed feelings about it being the flywheel improperly balanced or something not balanced right, but I know just as much about a transmission as a 4th grader does about thermonuclear warfare.

Sounds more like the trans front bearing (input shaft bearing) to me.

Safe to drive? As long as it's driven easy (sounds like it is) and the noise doesn't start getting any worse. If it starts getting worse, I'd advise not driving it any further, as it could cause more damage inside the trans.

EDIT: It could also be a counter-shaft bearing. The input shaft and counter-shaft both spin when the engine is running and the clutch is released, whether in gear or not.

siloketh 06-11-2012 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff (Post 11940298)
Sounds more like the trans front bearing (input shaft bearing) to me.

Safe to drive? As long as it's driven easy (sounds like it is) and the noise doesn't start getting any worse. If it starts getting worse, I'd advise not driving it any further, as it could cause more damage inside the trans.

EDIT: It could also be a counter-shaft bearing. The input shaft and counter-shaft both spin when the engine is running and the clutch is released, whether in gear or not.

Ive been driving it like this since tbe first of the year when I bought it. Would it be safe bet to also buy the counter shaft bearing with the 3 other bearings? Better safe than sorry? The noise has remained u.changed since day one may I also add, but It was only driven short distance to and from work (4 miles)

82f100460 06-11-2012 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by siloketh (Post 11940333)
Ive been driving it like this since tbe first of the year when I bought it. Would it be safe bet to also buy the counter shaft bearing with the 3 other bearings? Better safe than sorry? The noise has remained u.changed since day one may I also add, but It was only driven short distance to and from work (4 miles)

I had an old Muncie that did something similar, noise would change depending on speed and what gear it was in, or if the clutch was engaged or released. All those things change the loading on the gears/bearings. Turned out to be one of the internal bearings.

The throwout bearings can certainly make a lot of noise when going bad, but usually change drasically depending on if the clutch is engaged or released. I've heard them rattle (loose) when released and "Grind" when engaged.

I would wait for your friend to get it apart and see what is needed before buying a bunch of parts. It's an NP435 so shouln't be too difficult to get parts for it.

My old Muncie went for years btw, and never got any worse up to the point that I finally fixed it. That was in my old Nova and I hammered on it pretty hard too. Definately NOT saying you should though :)

Gary Lewis 06-11-2012 06:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
What I did today: Media-blasted the pan and valve covers, as shown below. But, that's after "adjusting" them. Someone had over-tightened the bolts pretty badly, so it took quite a bit of "persuasion" with a hammer and various pieces of steel to fit. And, all the RTV had to be scraped off as RTV can be impervious to media-blasting. But, they are about ready for powder-coating.

I also cleaned some other parts in the parts washer, and I'll be blasting them as well as the bolts tomorrow. Then, maybe, I'll get to powder-coat some of the parts in the afternoon.

19fifty4 06-11-2012 09:57 PM

Finally making some progress. Installed gas tank tonight, put in the new sending unit, and some work on the clutch pedal assembly.

TheKirbyMan 06-11-2012 11:33 PM

Replaced the transmission mount with the help of a friend. Old one was shot, chock full of slimy goo and rock hard rubber. New one fit right in (well, it took several tries and moving of the jack to get it to fit) but it did go in.

Now the trans isn't trying to move away from the vehicle when gears change. I do have some slack in the rear though. If I'm barely moving and I blip the throttle, I get a nice loud thunk, sounds like slop in the gears. Depending on how much it costs to get the current axle redone, I might just find a nice JY unit with some lower gears, maybe 3.55s or something.

Launch from a dead stop was fun though, it shifted real nice through all gears. I do want to run some cleaner through the trans and do a complete fluid change to B&M Trick Shift sometime this year.

siloketh 06-12-2012 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by 82f100460 (Post 11940848)
I had an old Muncie that did something similar, noise would change depending on speed and what gear it was in, or if the clutch was engaged or released. All those things change the loading on the gears/bearings. Turned out to be one of the internal bearings.

The throwout bearings can certainly make a lot of noise when going bad, but usually change drasically depending on if the clutch is engaged or released. I've heard them rattle (loose) when released and "Grind" when engaged.

I would wait for your friend to get it apart and see what is needed before buying a bunch of parts. It's an NP435 so shouln't be too difficult to get parts for it.

My old Muncie went for years btw, and never got any worse up to the point that I finally fixed it. That was in my old Nova and I hammered on it pretty hard too. Definately NOT saying you should though :)

I baby the throttle and shift so it should last me a while. Your muncie is doing what mine is, its more of a nuisance than anything else to me. Hopefully I will have a backup vehicle before I put it on the lift at Jon's, been eyeing this good looking 95 f350 crew cab dually 7.3 with 305k on the clock and shes barely broke in for $3500 :-jammin