Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Connecticut Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum227/)
-   -   CT Chapter February B/S thread (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1035509-ct-chapter-february-b-s-thread.html)

rocdril 02-22-2011 04:22 PM

The hatred is strong with this one!

7.3 Rocket 02-22-2011 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Zookie400 (Post 10003470)
pete- my coworker with smart phone just said its going to be snow on sunday.

Do you mean Ray? Or another one? The forecast I'm looking at says rain/snow mix.

I need a good 2" of snow before anyone wants to see the plow truck roll in.

Aerocell4x4 02-22-2011 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Zookie400 (Post 10003470)
dave- good luck getting someone to fab your fuel tank. can you find a larger tank readily available that will fit?

I have a list of companies that will build tanks on a somewhat custom basis. My problem would be the fill connection, or more specifically the lack of one.
I would want a tank with a sender and scavenging pump which could move diesel fuel between the main and the aux tank.
Due to the particulars of my truck there is no room in the wheel well for an aux fill connection and I don't want to cut a fill port into the body.

The complicated way is for the aux tank to go between the frame and the driveshaft, where a usual van would have its tank; my unusual van has its main tank aft of the axle.
The concept is that while I'm refueling my main tank the scavenging pump would be moving the fuel to the aux tank and when the aux tank gets full it just overflows back to the main tank. On the road every so often I would just run the scavenging pump to transfer fuel back to the main tank which would overflow back to the aux tank.

The simpler way I had in mind was to reshape my aft of the axle main tank into an inverted Tee that would extend out under the frame rails. I'd slope the bottom of the tank so that it matched my rear axle departure angle plus a bit of extra clearance, and I'd use separate pump and sender units so the pump is on the bottom and the sender has a longer arm.

In my case shifting weight & CG aft is a good thing because right now my front axle is loaded to the max. Besides I wanted to put a propane tank between the driveshaft and the frame.

gbroehl1 02-22-2011 04:47 PM

I got 2 inches Monday and I didn't so much as look at my plow let alone put it on.

7.3 Rocket 02-22-2011 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by gbroehl1 (Post 10003592)
I got 2 inches Monday and I didn't so much as look at my plow let alone put it on.

You also only plow your own driveway.

Dave, what exactly do you need that much fuel for? Is there something we all don't know about that we should be preparing for? Collapse of the government or something? Also, what size socket should fit the drain bung you want to install?

Brendon, I might need to borrow that 54 quart drain pan once diesel hits $5 a gallon.

Aerocell4x4 02-22-2011 05:01 PM

I have a 47" snow blower and 18hp tractor for it, unfortunately I really don't have the conditions to use it here so I let my brother use it.

I shovel my snow.

BIGKEN 02-22-2011 05:16 PM

Good evening CT...how are things in the south???

Zookie400 02-22-2011 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by 7.3 Rocket (Post 10003531)
Do you mean Ray? Or another one? The forecast I'm looking at says rain/snow mix.

I need a good 2" of snow before anyone wants to see the plow truck roll in.

another one and we just checked again and he said it will be slushing, so i guess no plowing for you. maybe it will be cold enough for sand/salt?

Originally Posted by 7.3 Rocket (Post 10003624)
You also only plow your own driveway.

Dave, what exactly do you need that much fuel for? Is there something we all don't know about that we should be preparing for? Collapse of the government or something? Also, what size socket should fit the drain bung you want to install?

Brendon, I might need to borrow that 54 quart drain pan once diesel hits $5 a gallon.

:-X24 :-X24 :-X24 :-X24 :-X24

7.3 Rocket 02-22-2011 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Zookie400 (Post 10003902)
another one and we just checked again and he said it will be slushing, so i guess no plowing for you. maybe it will be cold enough for sand/salt?

Stupid slush...

And no sander for me as of yet. Those things don't come cheap.

Aerocell4x4 02-22-2011 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by 7.3 Rocket (Post 10003624)

Pete, I like to just cruise on the interstate and not need to refuel every 300 or so miles. Also I want to install a diesel power pack for conditioned air et. al. so I can camp out in the back more comfortably without need to run my engine.

Another aspect is even though I harpooned my tank I still have to dribble in the last five gallons due to foaming and with a bigger tank or the aux tank I can fill it up at full flow and just call it quits when the foam shuts the nozzle off. I won't care then that the tank(s) isn't topped off, there should be enough fuel on board for me to be content.

7.3 Rocket 02-22-2011 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Aerocell4x4 (Post 10004232)
Pete, I like to just cruise on the interstate and not need to refuel every 300 or so miles.

Well riddle me this..

I don't know about you but I've got to stop and piss/stretch my legs every few hours. At 60mph average 300 miles would take 5 hours. Exactly how often do you need to drive more than 5 hours without stopping? Are you going to install a bathroom too?

Zookie400 02-22-2011 07:30 PM

dont forget the roof fan to handle the "big loads" if you do put a bathroom in! :-rip

Originally Posted by 7.3 Rocket (Post 10003992)
Stupid slush...

And no sander for me as of yet. Those things don't come cheap.

you have a shovel right? :-X05

7.3 Rocket 02-22-2011 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Zookie400 (Post 10004400)
you have a shovel right? :-X05

Aaron you should design a power retracting roof fan!

And as far as the shovel... I don't want the 06 to turn out like my truck cause of salt and my bed won't hold salt so.... no good.

Zookie400 02-22-2011 07:56 PM

i cant argue your bed not holding salt! unfortunately :(

does anybody know where to find the expiration date on this?
http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/v...0222112041.jpg

7.3 Rocket 02-22-2011 08:19 PM

For Aaron:
Urban Dictionary: fresh