Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   6.7 Glow Plug dropped ( pic added ) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1120772-6-7-glow-plug-dropped-pic-added.html)

UGA33 12-14-2011 05:56 PM

I thought I read where the problem for all the valve issues was due to the supplier skipping a step on the curing process? The problem has been corrected but there will obviously be issues pop up because they made it into production motors. The c&c issues are obviously gonna show up more due to the rpm's and temps they run due to the lower gearing.

Hdslider 12-14-2011 06:39 PM

If this is the case then they should know what engines got the defective valves, and recall those trucks to have the valves replaced or heads.Rather than wait till the engine is junk.

SARGE/AF 12-14-2011 08:41 PM

If it does become an issue of maintaince records, the dealer does have to tell you if it was maintained by a dealer, does not have to tell you which dealer or owners name at the time. This is where the Car Fax can come in handy because in most cases it will tell you the previous owners name or city and who filed the paperwork on repairs which can give you the repair shop and who to talk to. Another thing you can do because you own the truck is a title search and that will give you much information even all owners names sometimes.

SARGE/AF 12-14-2011 08:44 PM

I have bad eyes and I could even see the valve with the chip out of it without enlarge the picture.
Boy oh Boy did it do a job on that piston alright, I too wonder what the cylander walls look like.
Looking at the piston top you can see that it was a chunk of metal and it was in there for awhile from all the dents, at first I though injector tip blew off, then I went back and read where you said it was the glow plug.

Tom 12-14-2011 10:21 PM

There should not be any need for maintenance records, and nor should there be any reason why Ford wouldn't pay this one. This is a plain and simple defect. It happens to the best designed engines out there, and this does not necessarily mean that there will be many more of them.

Powerdude 12-15-2011 10:07 AM

So, any updates?

Just wanna know if it was covered under warranty, or if we go to "Ricatic, part Deux" ...

RogerM 12-15-2011 06:17 PM

Question of do they have the motor out or just pulled the head off. Wonder what the process of how they got to the point of pictures.

oldschoolguy 12-15-2011 07:33 PM

Hi guys.
Found this thread through a google search.
Dad has a 2011 f350 king ranch, bought it new last summer, and just yesterday had the exact same problem as the OP.

over the last two weeks or so, he had an intermittent vibration, once every few days, almost like driving over a rough road.
Yesterday, he was cruising on the highway, and it happened again, worse, so he switched lanes to get off the highway. suddenly it turned to loud rattle, and the shake got worse. He lost power quite quickly, but managed to coast up the offramp to get off the highway. then the low oil light turned on, and within 10 seconds the truck shut off. He rolled into the truck stop, and when he tried to restart it, it was seized. the starter would try turn it, but it wouldnt budge. towed it to the ford dealership last night, and this morning they called and said it would need a whole new motor. He probably wont get it back for more than a month. And they rented a freakin dodge avenger as a courtesy "truck" wtf.
Just thought I'd register on this forum and let you guys know.
Any questions, you can reply to this thread. Knowing me, I won't check back, so if there's a couple of posts wanting answers, someone can fire me an email at oldschoolguy at hotmail dot com
thanks

oldschoolguy 12-15-2011 07:38 PM

Oh, one more thing I should mention. When dad went to the rental place to get his baller :rolleyes: avenger, he told them what was going on. They said they bought 6 f350's this year. all 2012's, and 4 of the 6 have had their engines replaced already

kper05 12-15-2011 07:43 PM

oldschool, is this a pickup model?
Not sure if the KR package is available on the cab & chassis models (I know Lariat is) to assume if this is a pickup.

oldschoolguy 12-15-2011 07:47 PM

yes. It's a pick up. I gotta admit its a pretty decent truck, even if I am a gm fanboi. My brother and I are havin some pretty good lolz about the situation. He drives a 09 gmc 2500.

And no one needs to email, seeing as the forum emails me when someone replies to the thread. never had that before

Tom 12-15-2011 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by oldschoolguy (Post 11158817)
Oh, one more thing I should mention. When dad went to the rental place to get his baller :rolleyes: avenger, he told them what was going on. They said they bought 6 f350's this year. all 2012's, and 4 of the 6 have had their engines replaced already

I don't mean to sound rude, but this story seems hard for me to believe. First of all when a valve comes apart it's going to give no warnign...no "rough road" feelings whatsoever. When it comes apart it's going to cause catastrophic damage to that one cylinder, but in no way could it damage the other 7 cylinders so it's likely that the engine would keep running albeit badly.

Never have heard of a bad valve damaging an oil passage, so the likelihood that the "low oil" light came on as the truck died is also unlikely. The only possible way I can think for this to happen would be for the pieces of valve to damage the turbo bearing seal, but the odds of that happening and draining out that much oil so soon after failure seem remote to me.

And finally, in the year and a half of these engines being released we've heard of very few engine replacements in pickup truck models. There have been a few for chassis/cab trucks, but this one the OP started is the second one I've seen where the engine has to be replaced. We may not be the biggest diesel forum around but we are certainly the biggest Ford truck forum around, and we've seen a lot of stuff.

Now I'm not saying that what you say is false, just that it's tough to believe. Otherwise welcome to FTE! :)

6.7L 12-15-2011 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by oldschoolguy (Post 11158817)

What is the name of this rental place?

Chad149 12-16-2011 12:13 AM

I have been talking to a wrecker sales rep on the new diesels and he has yet to see any problems with the 6.7. Wreckers lead hard lives; lots of short trips and run loaded for half of there life. My buddy i know him through gauges new car reliability pretty well by how often he has to tow one-No 6.7 tows yet-compared to 6.0 and 6.4 which he was towing right away.

Chad149 12-16-2011 12:16 AM

And I agree with the other two-I need some sort of verification to that story to believe it.