Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1963 F100 Unibody (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum267/)
-   -   how many use a 61-66 as a daily driver? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/979247-how-many-use-a-61-66-as-a-daily-driver.html)

tyfly's64 09-19-2010 01:48 PM

i drive my 1964 f100 long bed with a 292 in it ever day its my only transpertation things i did to improve my millage is new tires, change from an oil bath air filter to a non oil bath air cleaner, new distributor, new plugs and wires, changed the cross over exhaust to true dull exhaust, new coil, switched it from a sitck to a c4 auto tranny out of a 68 mustang, new drive shaft, a have also gained some more horsepower form those upgardes cant wait to see what i can get out of it when i finilly find the time and money to rebuild the engine

ibuzzard 09-19-2010 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by tyfly's64 (Post 9346090)
i drive my 1964 f100 long bed with a 292 in it ever day its my only transpertation things i did to improve my millage is new tires, change from an oil bath air filter to a non oil bath air cleaner, new distributor, new plugs and wires, changed the cross over exhaust to true dull exhaust, new coil, switched it from a sitck to a c4 auto tranny out of a 68 mustang, new drive shaft, a have also gained some more horsepower form those upgardes cant wait to see what i can get out of it when i finilly find the time and money to rebuild the engine

Sorry,Bro,need a translator for the text-speak.Punctuation would be helpful.

Wyatt66f100 09-20-2010 02:25 AM

once i do have it done it gives me an excuse to let my honda kinda die out and quit on me so i can drive it daily. i got a small 14 mile commute one way to my job so, im kinda hoping my stupid fart can of a honda takes a dive. (not my fault i have a honda, i was in high school at the time and was dumb enough to do that to the exhaust.) now its just annoying.

bluestang65 09-20-2010 07:38 AM

Add a few modern conveniences and safety upgrades to make it palatable.
Disc Brakes for convenience
Dual Reservoir master cylinder for safety
Shoulder belts for safety
Power Steering for convenience
Limited slip rear end for snow, ice or anything else that makes the wheels slip. You can buy one brand new to install in your existing Ford 9" rear end (assuming that's what your pickup has) for under 350 and usually used for under 150. Take it from someone who's had to walk because one wheel parked on ice: The limited slip is priceless.

I used to use my '66 240 to go to work 1 mile from my house. Then for one short stint when my '65 Mustang got a headache and refused my advances, I had to relegate the pickup to commuting duty to college 40 miles each way. The truck (same one that's being restored in my blog) hated the extra work. It was a tired, old worn out pickup at that point though. It smoked, the clutch chattered and sometimes it would pretend that it wasn't going to start so I'd quit depending on it. Needless to say, I fixed the Mustang, but now the truck is getting everything it could ever want. When I'm done with it, it would be suitable for any type of driving I want to do with it, although it will realistically be the weekend cruiser.