Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   What did you do to the X today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/980894-what-did-you-do-to-the-x-today.html)

Snowseeker 01-09-2017 01:25 PM

I personally went to 20ft/lb's+ dry on my V10. No way would I ever torque any less on a taper seat plug.

WE3ZS 01-09-2017 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Snowseeker (Post 16855347)
I personally went to 20ft/lb's+ dry on my V10. No way would I ever torque any less on a taper seat plug.

And yours was an early 4 thread motor if I recall, correct?

WE3ZS 01-09-2017 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jmatthews (Post 16855125)
I have over 250k on my Ex, never touched a spark plug ;)

Originally Posted by 05MilMachine (Post 16855140)
You are clearly overdue...That will lead to oil burning! :)

Couple of funny guys here! :-X04 :-X04
I'd rep you both but right now when I click on the Rep scales it doesn't fully open the box to write a comment. :-huh

mecdac 01-09-2017 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by WE3ZS (Post 16855385)
I'd rep you both but right now when I click on the Rep scales it doesn't fully open the box to write a comment. :-huh

I exercised your proxy, Tom. :-jammin

xbox73 01-09-2017 04:48 PM

Well, technically not today, but recently, so meets the spirit of the thread...

Stock radiator with plastic end tanks developed a small crack on the driver side top inlet ... barely able to see it, but when hot & under pressure, would cause coolant loss, which was annoying to keep checking/filling up & left coolant all over underneath front end e.g. axle, track bar, etc.

So I ended up having the stock radiator replaced with a Mishimoto aluminum radiator (all metal, incl. end tanks). While in there, I also had them replace the water pump, dual alt top hose & bottom hose I already had on hand as a precaution. Coupled with multiple flushes with tap water (with rear heater on high) & then distilled water, and changed over to Fleetrite Red ELC. Also picked up some 50/50 pre-mixed Fleetrite Red ELC for any top ups & some distilled water for spares box as an emergency precaution as it's cheap & can always dilute with concentrate later, if necessary.

Also replaced the coolant filter on my DieselSite coolant filter system, and then after a thousand or so miles, replaced the coolant filter again. Out of interest, cut the first coolant filter open with a cut off wheel, since no proper filter cutter on hand, and did not observe any casting sand from new water pump or debris of any other kind from the cooling system in the filter, other than a couple of metal shards, almost certainly due to the process of cutting the filter open with a cut off wheel. So I am unconvinced of the need for a coolant filter, but since it wasn't that expensive & is already installed, no big deal.

Coolant system seems to be behaving & back to normal, other than a large dent in my wallet (mostly due to Mishimoto radiator cost + radiator, water pump & proper cooling system flush install labor).

Skip1970 01-09-2017 06:24 PM

you guys ever google mosques in texas? why are there so many in texas? its crazy! not as bad as michigan i dont think tho.

sessland 01-09-2017 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Skip1970 (Post 16856065)
you guys ever google mosques in texas? why are there so many in texas? its crazy! not as bad as michigan i dont think tho.

I just watched a disturbing video yesterday about this very topic...smh

Skip1970 01-09-2017 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by sessland (Post 16856082)
I just watched a disturbing video yesterday about this very topic...smh

can you send me a link to the video, we just had a terrorist living here in anchorage alaska that flew to orlando to shoot up the place, there is also a new mosque in anchorage i think they are connected.

NorthwesternCowboy 01-10-2017 12:28 PM

Black Ice adventures in Greater Seattle area today. The Ex just sat and spun for a few seconds while I was leaving the driveway and I had no idea before then that anything was frozen. Then I got to a parking lot and it was literally an ice skating rink. The slightest over-eager brake/throttle tap or quick turn was resulting in slide.

We'll see how the area fairs today with these icy conditions. We're not historically super prepared for this type of driving condition in Seattle, LOL!

wpnaes 01-10-2017 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by NorthwesternCowboy (Post 16858089)
Black Ice adventures in Greater Seattle area today.
We'll see how the area fairs today with these icy conditions. We're not historically super prepared for this type of driving condition in Seattle, LOL!

Great practice conditions for the teenagers in need of ice experience (hopefully in a parking lot with only a few poles and not on the hilly streets).}>

Irish19614x4 01-10-2017 02:25 PM

Black Ice adventures in Greater Seattle area today. The Ex just sat and spun for a few seconds while I was leaving the driveway and I had no idea before then that anything was frozen. Then I got to a parking lot and it was literally an ice skating rink. The slightest over-eager brake/throttle tap or quick turn was resulting in slide.

I too was caught off guard when I left driveway at 5am this morning tires on my F350 just spun. Quickly realized it's icy. Stopped and locked in 4x4 just for added measures and made it to Everett no problems. I can't say much for those after me from what I heard lots of cars sliding everywhere.

What looked like rain and little warmer temps quickly turned into icy dangerous conditions in a matter a hour or so.

AlaskanEx 01-10-2017 02:27 PM

Black Ice adventures

Sounds like my daily commute for 5 months out of the year! :-X04

Difference is we have the tires and experience for it.

Immortal_Ben 01-10-2017 04:02 PM

I am slightly disappointed when there isn't some sort of inclement weather or road conditions in which to drive.

Yesterday we dealt with wind gusts up to 100 mph for most of the day. It was fun. I think nearly 20 semis blew over in my area, part of the courthouse roof flew off, all school buses were cancelled in the city for the afternoon, one school went on lock down because they freaked when many of their windows started shattering for no apparent reason. Pretty sure there are still a few thousand without power because power lines went down all over the place. Trees were uprooted. They didn't snap somewhere along the trunk... entire trees were blowing over!

copsey 01-10-2017 04:41 PM

Got the wheels back from powder coating and the tires installed at our shop. Going in for balancing Thursday as our balancer didn't have a large enough centering cone. Test drove it and these Toyos are surprisingly quiet for the tread pattern, didn't feel any real vibrations either which I was really happy with. Depending on the amount of weight the service shop uses I may go with balancing beads, they already know not to use clip on weights on these.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...7cb1f79009.jpg

sessland 01-10-2017 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Skip1970 (Post 16856098)
can you send me a link to the video, we just had a terrorist living here in anchorage alaska that flew to orlando to shoot up the place, there is also a new mosque in anchorage i think they are connected.

PM sent (need to type 10 characters)