Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum39/)
-   -   Buildup!! 06 crown vic front suspension into 67 F100 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/716058-buildup-06-crown-vic-front-suspension-into-67-f100.html)

tankrsc 07-03-2008 05:42 AM

Sounds pretty good to me too.

Shoestring 07-03-2008 08:07 PM

Carcrafter, first of all I would like to say congratulations on completing or almost completing your very unique build. I would say I have numerous questions but you have covered most subjects. My main concern is this. I have my granddads old 68 f100. I am restoring this truck and am trying to keep most things stock. I am keeping the 360 and C6 trany for now as well as the dana 44 rear end, gotta have posi. I am very interested in this new front end since dropping the twin I beams and also converting to disc brakes would be more costly than just doing the mod you did. So my questions are this.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
The f100 rear end and the CV front end can not use the same rims correct?
<o:p></o:p>
The hydrostatic power steering does it have a belt system to connect to the motor and if so would that be difficult to line up and get belts to make that happen?
The brake system I planned on using was the new CV disk and then the drums on the original rear end. Should I still get the braking system from the CV to use or will there be problems there?
Lastly I can’t tell what you did to the rear end to line up or lower the suspension from the pictures and I could not find a post where you talked about that. The last one I saw was where you changed the axle from over the leaf springs to under and then you were asking about adjustment drop linkages.
Thanks ahead of time and congrats again.

carcrafter22 07-04-2008 12:29 AM

Good questions here is my attempt to answer them.

yes the newer CV bolt pattern is different than the old ford truck bolt pattern. The easiest way I can tell you to fix that is to buy some wheel adapters off of ebay. That way you can go to the modern bolt pattern and widen your rear axle a couple inches to make the rear tires more inline with the front tires. I bought a set for annother axle for $60 for the pair and they were great quality.

The hydroboost is run off of the power steering pump. The system goes like this power steering pump>hydroboost in> hydroboost out>rack and pinion in> rack and pinion out> power steering reservoir. I can email you a diagram of it all if you pm me your email. I would get the crown vic p/s pump and reservoir which is very compact then change the pulley to fit your setup and adapt it to your bracketry with some 1/4 steel. This is easier than it sounds. I used a long straight ruler to line up the pullies when I made the mount for my alternator.

As far as the CV brakes I would only get the brakes that come with the front suspension. I used a wilwood prop valve since I was using rear disc as well but I dont think you will need one with the drums. If anything you could get a new distribution valve for a truck with disc/drums.

To line the rear axle up I simply centered it in the frame. I measured from the brake rotors to the outside center of the frame to get it exactly centered. The pinion can be offset to the side of the engine either way and you wont get any vibration, mine is offset 1/2" to the driver side from the engine centerline. As far as lowering the rear suspension. I spent a good deal of time figureing that out. I cut the front spring hangers off and raised them several inches, I think it was about 3.5" but I dont remember off hand.I then put 4" lowering shackles on the rearspring hangers. I then had to cut the original upper shock mounts off to clear the new 03 ford ranger in frame fuel tank. I took a 1/4" thick 2"X2" piece of angle iron and welded it into the frame to attach the new shocks to it then welded mounts to the new axle. Basically the new shocks mount at a 25 degree angle at the top and in towards the center like a hotrod car like this / \ looking at them from the side of the truck they look vertical.

Thats about it. I guess the only thing I can suggest about lowering the rear this way is keep the bed close by and easily put back on( i use a engine hoist) then cut the spring shackle off and tack weld it back on where you think it should be and reinstall the bed to see where it sits, if you like it then weld it up good.

if you need more detail pm me your phone number and I can call you.

Retiredfire 07-05-2008 06:56 PM

crown vic

Carcrafter22 Real fine work I'm thinking Ford Motor Co. needs you

72-F100-4V 07-07-2008 10:12 PM

Carcrafter!! -- I know you wrote it some where in here (22 pages!) about what kind of spacer you used for the wheels, I cant seem to find it, what thickness for the front and the rear??? Also the lug nuts that you used on your wheels?? are they the Crown vic spec lugs, and how well do they fit in the conical recess on the dodge wheels??

I am starting my swap this weekend and I have a set of basic steel wheels off a new Magnum/Charger, and they have a conical recess for lugs, was wondering if the Vic lugs could work.

carcrafter22 07-07-2008 11:50 PM

Thanks Retiredfire, I am sorry I missed your call are you coming by this way anytime soon?

I use 5/16th" wheel spacers that seem to work well both on the front and rear. I also use doorman acorn style 1/2-20 chrome lugnuts. I will get the part number for you since I just locked the shop up for the night. I am not sure if the vic lugnuts will work out or not.

carcrafter22 07-07-2008 11:57 PM

71-F100-4V I just noticed I missed one of your questioins and I am sorry I did. Do you still need the measurements for the motor mount pads? I assume you mean the pads on the cv aluminum crossmember. I can get the measurement for you in the morning if you want when I get the part number for the lugnuts.

carcrafter22 07-08-2008 12:10 PM

I took some measurements of the engine mount pad on the crown vic crossmember to the vertical section on the firewall ( the section just above the heater hose outlets). I couldnt get exact measurements since the dual oil filters get in the way. I got approximately 13" just remember this isnt exact by any means but it is close.

I took a weighted string and taped it to the fender on the centerline of the wheels with the original suspension in place. I used that centerline mark on both sides to place my cv crossmember where it needed to be.

As for the lugnuts they are doorman acorn style lugnuts part number 711-205 1/2"-20 threads you can get them at most autoparts stores.

72-F100-4V 07-08-2008 04:48 PM

You rock!! Thank you a bunch. Im sure ill be asking for some help along the way. You have covered all that I can think of as of now, but as projects go, there is always something that comes up!!

663006 07-08-2008 08:20 PM

hey crafter
i am sure somewhere in this thread you have already posted the answer to this question but i am going to ask again. what is the ride height from the lip of the fender well to the center of the hub on the front of your truck with the crown vic font suspension. right now mine is about 14 inches

carcrafter22 07-09-2008 12:50 AM

Mine measures at 14" from the fender to the center of the wheel. I could go lower but I will be using this truck for work and in the oil field I have to go down some rough roads so I figured I need a little ground clearance :D

BlueovalFE 07-10-2008 05:25 PM

So Carcrafter, comes the next question. How long before you start doing this set-up for those of us in the Fort Worth area that are considerably less skilled? Could be a heck of an endeavor for you. I'd be willing to pay for something like on my old '69 F100.

carcrafter22 07-10-2008 10:13 PM

Ha thats a good question. I have been looking into makeing some parts to make this an easy swap for others. I need a couple different donor vehicles to mock parts up though. I think it would be fairly easy to make a simple bolt on kit using original mount points. All the end user would have to do is be able to remove the old suspension or bring it to me for the plasma cutter treatment. :D I guess if youre really interested in doing this shoot me a pm we can work something out.

carcrafter22 07-11-2008 03:42 PM

Well the Brakes are a go!!!! I found the problem I have been having with the long pedal travel and boy does this thing stop now. I cant believe it. I actually slammed my head into the windshield earlier on the first test drive since the fix. LOL I love it. I will try and do some actuall brake testing from 60-0 later on.

For anyone needing a great brake setup the 12" 07 front crown vic brakes and 93 crown vic rear brakes make for a killer combo that will stop on a dime.

For those of you attempting this swap make sure all your bleeder screws are high not low. What I mean is put your calipers on the correct side so that the bleeder screw is on top and not the bottoml. These calipers will fit on either side so its easy to get confused. :)

Randy

carcrafter22 07-11-2008 04:40 PM

Here is are the controls for the fans, shutdown relay and starter relay I still need to clean the wiring up.

http://inlinethumb35.webshots.com/42...425x425Q85.jpg

Here is how I mounted the temp gauge sensor and the fans switch controller sensor.

http://inlinethumb62.webshots.com/30...425x425Q85.jpg

And the fans installed

http://inlinethumb59.webshots.com/40...425x425Q85.jpg