Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum39/)
-   -   Buildup!! 06 crown vic front suspension into 67 F100 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/716058-buildup-06-crown-vic-front-suspension-into-67-f100.html)

carcrafter22 06-30-2008 11:20 PM

Well it turned out ok I guess. I just need to get a few things sorted out like the 700R4... I have a small leak on one of my power steering lines,have to adjust the spring tension on the throttle, reposition brake pedal closer to the floor so I dont have to put my knee in my chest to brake :), and a few other things. I will post some pics of the new fan shroud and fans along with some video of me driving if I can get it to shift right.

Marz-68 07-01-2008 09:32 AM

Congrats on getting your truck out for the first time on your new suspension.

carcrafter22 07-01-2008 11:47 AM

Thanks, I was pretty impressed how it drove down the short bumpy road. I guess the real test will be after I get an alignment and drive it on the highway.

mcdobson 07-01-2008 11:48 AM

Must have put a big smile on your face to fell that smooth ride.
Congrats.

jgh2k 07-01-2008 05:41 PM

Man, I am loving this post... Congrats on your first drive!

garbz2 07-01-2008 08:07 PM

Avoid driving with that 700R not setup.. it will toast the trans quicker than you can say Mississippi.

Pick up a 73 to 87 chevy truck haynes book. it will detail on just how the TV needs to be adjusted for operation. It's critical.

I used a 700R in 82 Blazer custom build with a Edelbrock 600. I needed to fab a new mount and make 100 percent sure the TV cable is at full open at full throttle.

Do you have a lokar cable or the stock Chevrolet cable?

Garbz

663006 07-01-2008 10:26 PM

hey crafter i installed an aod into my 66 and it has the tv cable also. the way i did mine was to pull out all of the slack and then about a 1/4 inch more and that was pretty much it. might try that and see if it works.

663006 07-01-2008 10:28 PM

there are a few threads online and i think a video on this online. i searched it and found them. try ford aod tv linkage might find it there. i know yours is a 700r4 but i think they work the same.

garbz2 07-02-2008 11:58 AM

AOD and 700R4 are not the same... The AOD needs to be adjusted with pressure Guages and guage blocks for the linkages on a kick down setup, On the EFI setup still needs the pressures read and the cable adjusted. If you have not burned up the AOD trans you got very lucky, go play the lotto tonight.

The 700 needs to have the crank ratio on the throttle match the cables pull legenth so that it progressivly operates the TV to WOT. The stock chevy tv cable has a slide adjustment to shorten or legenthen the cable. If this is not correct it will usually chuck out second and third gear, or first and fourth. I learned this lesson the hard and expensive way.

Garbz

663006 07-02-2008 03:32 PM

i know that when you talk to the tranny shops they tell you that you have to use the pressure to set this but you mean to tell me that they take the time at the factory to hook up guages to every vehicle with an aod and set the tv cable. i doubt that. the way the factory does it is exactly how i did it. there is a video on this online you just have to find it. i have been driving this truck for almost a year now with this setup and it shifts great. must be very lucky. i don't have a clue about the 700r4.

carcrafter22 07-02-2008 08:51 PM

thanks for the help guys but yes the 700R4 is nothing like the AOD. I think the AOD is much easier to setup but then again I have done several. The 700R4 is a pain in the butt.

I finally have the 700R4 shifting right, I think it was some trash in the throttle valve which I hear is a common occurance. My dad came over and we put the back wheels up on jacks and ran it through all gears about 10 times.

The bad news, my dumb ass messed up the rear brake line with the welder this afternoon when I was welding up the spring perch. I will replace the brake line tomorrow.

I also finished the electric fans today and wired them. I am using a spal fan pwm controller to run them. I have already taken a small pad and made the aluminum look nice and smooth but the photo is of when I first finished them so its not as nice looking there.

http://inlinethumb44.webshots.com/40...425x425Q85.jpg

carcrafter22 07-02-2008 09:21 PM

Here is a short 15 sec video of my dad revving the motor up. What do you guys think. Does it need a different muffler. This is with the morroso spiral muffler and the vortex muffler cone installed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGDI28uFJSE

72-F100-4V 07-02-2008 09:30 PM

Doesnt sound too bad. Loud, but maybe your pops still had his foot in it towards the end. How loud is it at idle? Im sure its nothing like most of the big chevies and fords I hear around town here.

Retiredfire 07-02-2008 10:47 PM

Carcrafter I came throught Burlerson the other day Tried to call did not get anyone . Sure would like to see the truck It looks good and sounds good .

carcrafter22 07-03-2008 12:25 AM

yeah he kept his foot in it. I will get some better video when I tape the test drive. I will try and start out with the engine off then startup at the tailpipe and then onto acceleration. I dont think its all that bad actually, I cant stand a really loud vehicle.