Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   White Lightnin' Build thread (88 F150 4x4) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1280291-white-lightnin-build-thread-88-f150-4x4.html)

Redneckfordf2502002 12-18-2015 07:44 PM

Went out to start Lightnin' yesterday at 7 in the morning and she just cranked and cranked. Listened for pumps and nothing. Had dad take me to work yesterday and when I got home had dad tap the relay while I turned the key to the on position. Nothing still. He then wiggled each wire on the connector and sure enough it started priming and started right up. I bought a new connector hopefully that will fix the issue. Hopefully that will fix the issue so that I can start driving her again. She has been running great otherwise.
Trav

Redneckfordf2502002 12-19-2015 06:06 PM

New EEC relay connector and fuel pump relay and she is back in business I wish the mud would go away so I could wash her.
Trav

Redneckfordf2502002 12-23-2015 10:35 AM

Removed the other emblems. I decided I don't want the F150 and Custom emblem on their anymore so since one side was off removed the other. To me once the body work gets done it will look great. I also tried finding out what was wrong with my backup lights. Bulbs and fuse are fine but right about after I got the tail light back in it started snowing and I needed the truck back together to get to work.

Dad and I are thinking about lifting both our trucks 4" with 33s (his 90 F150 RCLB and my 88) as I think it will have the perfect stance plus everybody will think it is a F250 especially with mine not having emblems.
Hoping I will be able to do that before I need new tires otherwise.
Trav

Redneckfordf2502002 01-02-2016 03:25 AM

new steering gear box in the truck. Today will find out if it fixed the loose steering.
After doing a complete look over on the suspension decided just keeping it stock height afraid of the 33s putting to much stress on the suspension parts so just staying 31s.
A coworker has a 89 Chevy 5.7L 2500 4x4 that I probably am going to pick up and turn into the truck I use as a hauler and off roader (that I can still drive on the road to preserve my 88) and keep the 92 as the back up truck for the boys of the family.
Trav

Redneckfordf2502002 01-02-2016 09:07 PM

Still need to get an alignment and a steering stabilizer but it defiantly is a lot better.
Also got to get tires.
Trav

rugermack 01-02-2016 10:46 PM

Keep it going Travis ?

Redneckfordf2502002 01-10-2016 06:25 PM

Finally got a full size spare. My coworker had a spare from his 84 F150 that he threw in with my new to me 89 Chevy 2500 4x4 5.7L TH400 3.73LS/posi ECLB.
Trav

Redneckfordf2502002 01-17-2016 05:40 PM

Got my dome light workin again. Original issue was a blown bulb but our 95 work truck has LED light bulbs that dad didn't want in it so I put the dome light one in my 88. I could not get it working I checked if the dome light was getting power and everything but no light still. Turns out the LED bulb had to go in only one way. Was messing with the dome light while at work and sure enough flipping it over got it working and damn is that thing bright. Next need to get the Heater & A/C control bulb fixed.

Then on the way home decided to rinse off the mud on the truck so that she looked a little cleaner till spring when I can really clean her. Well I didn't think it was extremely muddy after this snow on our backroad but was wrong. Got her stuck in 2wd and had to drop her in 4 low to crawl out and got her muddy again. Not as bad as it was but it sucked big time. I need to rinse the underneath off again so that when I work on her I am not getting dirt in my eyes.

Also changed the oil for the 2000 mile mark on the engine. She is running great however she doesn't want to do over 70 guessing because I am turning 3K rpms at 65 plus my throttle cable needs the zip tie mod (done on rangers and explorers usually). Plan is to keep lightnin' as the local driver truck and my 89 Chevy as the long distance/hauler truck. Working on saving up for new tires right now looking at the BFG TA KO2s or the pathfinder sport ATs I need a tame AT tire that I can afford yet will do good in mud and snow.
Trav

Redneckfordf2502002 01-20-2016 07:17 PM

Washed her good finally. $8 later and she looks great again. I forgot my camera to take a good pic of her at the school bus stop waiting for my sister to get off.
I still need to clean the interior though as it is a mess luckily mud comes off vinyl floors very easily.

Got a question for y'all is it normal if I get a shake at 40-45mph with the hubs locked in on dry pavement this is in 2wd? On the way to work yesterday she started shaking like crazy and I remember I never unlocked the hubs. Pulled over and unlocked them and checked all the tires and drove her the rest of the way with no shakes at all.
Trav

Redneckfordf2502002 01-21-2016 11:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Best picture I can get right now. Driveway is a little crowded and being I back in (since no reverse lights) it is hard to get good pics.
Trav

Redneckfordf2502002 01-25-2016 05:28 PM

Put a ziptie on the throttle cable to get the slack out of it. I can now get more throttle out of the truck so hopefully that brings up the power some more

Also loosened up the throttle screw as it was way to high (idling at 950 rpm) and I got it down to 750. For some reason it won't go any less.

As soon as I get my tax return I will be buying a set of 31 10.5 15s in BFG TA KO2s and will put it on the old wagon wheels and give my brother my current wheels and tires for his 91 F150 300. I decided I like the old wagon wheels. They have a little less offset and are only 7" width but that's ok they still will look great if I absolutely have to I will buy some spacers. The current wheels look good but it doesn't match what I want for the look of the truck.
Also will get a new battery and higher amp alternator. The old battery will go in the Chevy and the alternator will go to my other brothers 91 F250 460.
Trav

Redneckfordf2502002 01-26-2016 08:26 PM

Truck runs so much better it is unbelievable. Before I would run out of throttle before it hit the floorboard. I think she will do so much better going to show low next time.

also lowering the idle made it shift so much better going into drive and 1st to 2nd.

When I took her this morning the low beam headlight bulb was out on the passenger side so I will go look tomorrow for my parts headlights and take one of those and put it in the truck.
Trav

Redneckfordf2502002 01-29-2016 07:46 PM

Put a brand new battery in her today. 850cca battery with 3year warranty.
Waiting for my fed return to come in to get the tires.
Trav

Redneckfordf2502002 02-01-2016 07:35 AM

reprogramed the stereo programed it different then before and it sounds better.

Picked up some sand paper and I am going to start sanding one panel at a time and paint the truck one panel at a time. I still need the truck as a DD so I can't have it go down cause of no paint.

Instead of an alternator I am going to the muffler shop to get some prices as the hole in my muffler is getting bigger. I only need to replace the muffler the rest is in great shape but if it doesn't cost to much I will have him put duals out the back if it does just staying single for now. Probably just going with a thrush glasspack will be loud enough that I like it but not to loud compared to straight piped the cops in town already know me for having loud bikes and trucks this one can't be to loud since it is my DD.
Trav

Redneckfordf2502002 02-01-2016 06:34 PM

Picked up a thrush welded muffler. So hopefully it will clear up on my 3 days off starting Wednesday. I also got clamps for it.

So far liking the sound of it on youtube clips just hope it is a little louder then it sounds in the clips.

I'll keep the chevy for the loud ripping up roads truck. LOL That thing is loud and I haven't even put the duals on it yet.
Trav