Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   Daytime running lamps (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/667138-daytime-running-lamps.html)

TCAS007 04-01-2012 04:28 PM

IMO driving with fog lights ONLY is not enough in fog as you are not visible enough.

Slowing down and being careful is what you need to do.

rubenoff 04-01-2012 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by TCAS007 (Post 11653960)
IMO driving with fog lights ONLY is not enough in fog as you are not visible enough.

Slowing down and being careful is what you need to do.

That has worked for us throughout 59 years of accident free driving
adjust speed related to road conditions is where it's at

have a nice day cheers

wkbrdtx 03-06-2015 01:30 AM

poor man's DRL

A plastic bottle cap placed over the daylight sensor will turn the headlights on during the day as long as the light switch is in auto mode.
Is this not the same as DRL only brighter?

Baumbach 03-06-2015 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by wkbrdtx (Post 15151108)
A plastic bottle cap placed over the daylight sensor will turn the headlights on during the day as long as the light switch is in auto mode. Is this not the same as DRL only brighter?

Using your bottle cap idea it not the same. You will also have the running lights tail front and side marker lights on, and also if in the automatic setting; the fog lights on too, the head lights off delay will be enabled, and if your dimmer switch for your dash lights is set to a lower night time setting; you will not be able to see the radio, temperature and other dash controls, as they will dim for night time driving. Because turning on the wipers does the same thing as your bottle cap idea, I have the same issue with seeing the controls on the dash if I turn on the wipers during day light hours.

cstanley44 03-12-2015 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Baumbach (Post 15151222)
Using your bottle cap idea it not the same. You will also have the running lights tail front and side marker lights on, and also if in the automatic setting; the fog lights on too, the head lights off delay will be enabled, and if your dimmer switch for your dash lights is set to a lower night time setting; you will not be able to see the radio, temperature and other dash controls, as they will dim for night time driving. Because turning on the wipers does the same thing as your bottle cap idea, I have the same issue with seeing the controls on the dash if I turn on the wipers during day light hours.

And if any type of inspection was needed to make sure they work, it would not pass.

wkbrdtx 09-16-2015 12:25 PM

update

I took my 2014 Navigator in for service and had them activate the DRLs.
They charged me $129.

cusec 07-27-2017 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by cstanley44 (Post 11487870)
At first the closest 3 dealers said Id have to add hardware module.

I have a friend that works for Ford and he was the one that told me every 06+ should have the hardware, it just needs to be enabled.

Sure enough, after he gave me the right words to use - ECU, SJB etc the local dealer found out how to do it

So what exactly are the special words? It would be helpful to know.

cstanley44 07-28-2017 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by cusec (Post 17358627)
So what exactly are the special words? It would be helpful to know.

Ask to have the day time running lights (DRL) enabled in the Smart Junction Box. (SBJ)

Many of the electrical functions are triggered by other actions, for instance when you hit the key fob to open the door not only does the driver door unlock the interior lights come on. The SBJ handles this.