Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tennessee Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum95/)
-   -   so whos ready for snow? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/925261-so-whos-ready-for-snow.html)

tex25025 01-29-2010 08:38 PM

I don't think the horses loved the snow all that well. One ole girl had 2 inches of snow packed underneath her hoof and she was slipping and sliding all over the place. That wasn't a fun experience bringing all the back in around 630 this evening. I think we got a little over 3 inches.

torkum 01-29-2010 10:34 PM

Wow tex, that sounds like hard work dealing with the horses in this stuff.

Fifty4F100 01-30-2010 10:27 AM

This time I must report that Memphis got some snow. The freezing rain was coming down at 7:30 am when I was coming home Friday. I had to scrap my f350 and look thru the 6" peepholes most of the way home (my 5'8" with a small car scrapper). The ice was first then a lot of snow. The ground was just getting icy as the snow started so most of it stuck. But at my house in Bartlett, there is only about an inch on the ground. I'm not sure because we got another burst of sleet and freezing rain before it stopped, so you can walk on top of the snow. Can't even stomp it thru. Streets aren't looking good. Memphis had the salt/brine trucks out just as it was starting, so I don't think it was working too good. Of course our tiny street isn't getting any traffic.I won't be getting out any time soon.

My daughter's horse is in the shed looking out most of the time. I know someone needs to go out and break up the ice on his water trough, but its still in the 20's right now.

Greywolf 01-30-2010 12:32 PM

Be glad you're in Bartlett. In south Tipton county there is no such thing as brine trucks.
Not only did we get bombed early yesterday, but a second helping came down after I got back from the store, the total is at least six inches, more in drifts, and everything outdoors has a sheet of ice on it.

It's been years since I've seen real icicles...

On top of everything else the doggone antique powerlines out here went out at eleven PM yesterday and were out until four this morning. Between four and six AM they blinked offline three more times - I barely had enough time at one point to shut down my computer properly so that it wouldn't get scrambled. I didn't get a lot of sleep last night due to figuring out how to keep the place from losing heat until things came back up and got stablised. And it ain't february yet...
The temperature appears to be holding right at 32, and the sky doesn't look at all different than it did yesterday. I think action news weather is probably way off the mark.

macgiobuin 01-30-2010 04:02 PM

It's starting to cool off now...when those streets ice over, it's gonna be UGLY. I'm stayin' home tonight. Getting to work tomorrow AM may be rather interesting....

maples01 01-30-2010 04:50 PM

I'm not going out, everyone's driving abilities over the years has proved my vehicle is invisible, they never see it, all the accidents in clear weather, I dare not risk it now. I'm still awaiting repair of my wheelchair lift from being run over while on the ground in November, I've yet to repair the damaged passenger rear wall and side door too, not looking to get more. Roads in my hood are terrible, maybe Monday housing will send out a backhoe to scrape the streets like in the past.

jdecker88 01-30-2010 06:05 PM

Justin Hundley | Facebook

Here is pictures from our snow about 4-5 inches

torkum 01-30-2010 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by maples01 (Post 8443969)
I'm not going out, everyone's driving abilities over the years has proved my vehicle is invisible, they never see it, all the accidents in clear weather, I dare not risk it now. I'm still awaiting repair of my wheelchair lift from being run over while on the ground in November, I've yet to repair the damaged passenger rear wall and side door too, not looking to get more. Roads in my hood are terrible, maybe Monday housing will send out a backhoe to scrape the streets like in the past.

Don't blame you Mark. I've been out several times today and more than once thought I was gonna have to take the ditch because people are out that shouldn't be.

Greywolf 01-30-2010 06:27 PM

I've just been out to the store and back again - mostly in second gear. I'd say the roads are about 80% covered with at least an inch of ice. It looks like at least one of my neighbors packed everyone in a van and went to stay with relatives in town.
if I do nothing else this year I'm going to find out all about how to install a wood burning stove of some kind! If power goes out again I'll be burning propane for heat...
A fella was telling me that in 1994 power went out for a solid month. I guess what I also need is a generator.

torkum 01-30-2010 06:36 PM

Greywolf I lived through the ice storm in 94 and was 5 days without power. That started getting interesting for people that had no survival skills. I started with Kerosene and ended with firewood. The best part is you never forget what you went through.

maples01 01-30-2010 06:38 PM

I may buy some Z-cables for my tires for next year, love to have a dually rear in the van one day, make chains/cables easier to install, Norway has tire socks that do the same job and far easier to install. Dad has some temporary traction chains, they don't go around the wheel like conventional chains, but the way they strap on, the disc brake won't allow it. Gotta love Fords automatic transmissions capable of second gear, just like having a stick shift, cuts back on wheel spin in slick conditions, I used it last year. The way the news was talking, thaw won't be here till Tuesday, I can't wait that long.

Greywolf 01-30-2010 09:06 PM

I slept under a bridge when I was first trying to report to the USS NIMITZ because THEY DIDN'T ANSWER THEIR GOLDANG PHONE!
(In Washington State in the winter fer cruds sakes)
If it happens - I'll get through it in much the same way.

"YOU CAN'T STARVE US OUT, YOU CAN'T MAKE US RUN!!!"
If I have to I'll open a window and burn charcoal in the house. I will bring my DOG inside so we can snuggle together - and then I will make use of my southern california heritage to SUE THE DAYLIGHTS out of the power company....

I ain't missin' nuthin' and neither are they.

- Call that quote

Oh yeah, I GUARANTEE YA - I can stubborn up with the best of them....

There ain't nobody frosts my nuts without a serious BACKSLAP!
They knew this was bound to happen - and they never prepared.

Well HELLO to TODAY....

Do you know the real difference between a JACKASS and a Democrat?
A MULE cannot breed with it's own kind....

That right there is an absolute fact!

nflfreak43 01-31-2010 08:31 AM

well i wasnt on much was spending the whole day with ann but yesterday we were out quite a bit. and the main roads were decent still had to go slow but as soon as you hit a side road well the ice and snow made you feel like you were rock crawling... here is a pic of some of the roads.....
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...3/SAM_0180.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...3/SAM_0190.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...3/SAM_0188.jpg

macgiobuin 01-31-2010 09:52 AM

Well, the roads cleared pretty well here...only a few slick spots here and there. MUCH better than everyone predicted.

torkum 01-31-2010 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by maples01 (Post 8444432)
I may buy some Z-cables for my tires for next year, love to have a dually rear in the van one day, make chains/cables easier to install, Norway has tire socks that do the same job and far easier to install. Dad has some temporary traction chains, they don't go around the wheel like conventional chains, but the way they strap on, the disc brake won't allow it. Gotta love Fords automatic transmissions capable of second gear, just like having a stick shift, cuts back on wheel spin in slick conditions, I used it last year. The way the news was talking, thaw won't be here till Tuesday, I can't wait that long.

The tire socks sound interesting, might have to look into those.