Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   Iron Cross Running Boards group buy thread (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1328067-iron-cross-running-boards-group-buy-thread.html)

Apocalypse 07-31-2014 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by BigBlkEX (Post 14547137)
What is the cost? If you get all these ppl in on the deal? I might be in if I know what am spending? Zip 77450

Price updated in first post.

Pele 07-31-2014 10:33 AM

How do these Iron Cross running boards attach? Do they go to a Frame/Body mount or do they use the same mounts as the stock units?

Are they stronger than stock?

Apocalypse 07-31-2014 12:45 PM

Bumping for pricing additions to the first post :D

Apocalypse 07-31-2014 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Pele (Post 14547503)
How do these Iron Cross running boards attach? Do they go to a Frame/Body mount or do they use the same mounts as the stock units?

http://www.carid.com/images/iron-cro...structions.pdf

Originally Posted by Pele (Post 14547503)
Are they stronger than stock?

Good Lord yes, just look at them... there is no way these are going anywhere. I would go out on a limb and say you might even be able to use them as a jacking point in an emergency... anyone agree? I think the main issue would be the mounting hardware more than anything though. As long as you are running good nuts and bolts and everything is reinforced well they should hold damn near anything. If I am incorrect though please tell me as ignorance is dangerous.

Krazee Matt 07-31-2014 03:33 PM

And here I am broke in the play money department after buying parts for the 496 BBC I'm building for the Chevelle... ugh. Mark, I feel that you should increase your order number to a quantity of 2 }> Those are some sweet looking steps.

Originally Posted by Apocalypse
Good Lord yes, just look at them... there is no way these are going anywhere. I would go out on a limb and say you might even be able to use them as a jacking point in an emergency... anyone agree? I think the main issue would be the mounting hardware more than anything though. As long as you are running good nuts and bolts and everything is reinforced well they should hold damn near anything. If I am incorrect though please tell me as ignorance is dangerous.

Unless my maths are wrong, jacking up an 8300lbs truck on running boards that are held on with five measily 5/16 bolts regardless of Grade would prove to be a really, REALLY bad idea. Not to mention they install in the stock body panel and pinchweld, which I doubt would be beefy enough to take the stress and weight and leverage exerted.
Rock sliders (aftermarket) on Jeeps and such can be used as a jack point, but they are designed to take the vehicles weight slamming down on them against a rock, and not just the weight of some fatty getting into their rig. My rock sliders mounted using 10 Gr-8 11/16 bolts on the main feet, and 5 Gr-8 9/16 bolts down the pinchseam. They also had a support bar that ran tight against the rocker panel and under the body to dispersed the weight and impact forces.

mecdac 07-31-2014 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Krazee Matt (Post 14548178)
Mark, I feel that you should increase your order number to a quantity of 2 }> Those are some sweet looking steps.

Okay, done you get the military discount. :-X22

Krazee Matt 07-31-2014 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by mecdac (Post 14548189)
Okay, done you get the military discount. :-X22

Outstanding, thanks good buddy :D

mecdac 07-31-2014 10:13 PM

What's the number? Yes, I am buying Krazee Matt's also. He is in Houston area.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...b12aa46099.gif

Apocalypse 08-01-2014 12:05 AM

Unless my maths are wrong, jacking up an 8300lbs truck on running boards that are held on with five measily 5/16 bolts regardless of Grade would prove to be a really, REALLY bad idea. Not to mention they install in the stock body panel and pinchweld, which I doubt would be beefy enough to take the stress and weight and leverage exerted.
Rock sliders (aftermarket) on Jeeps and such can be used as a jack point, but they are designed to take the vehicles weight slamming down on them against a rock, and not just the weight of some fatty getting into their rig. My rock sliders mounted using 10 Gr-8 11/16 bolts on the main feet, and 5 Gr-8 9/16 bolts down the pinchseam. They also had a support bar that ran tight against the rocker panel and under the body to dispersed the weight and impact forces.

I was thinking that these used grade 8 bolts as well and for some reason was thinking that they bolted to the frame, not the pinch welds. I'm sure you could jack from them.... once ;)

So are we up to 30 now? Medcac is buying mine and like 15 others now so what are we up to?

jazz77 08-01-2014 12:21 AM

Count me in. I'm assuming I would be able to use my Paypal account?

Ship to 58538

Apocalypse 08-01-2014 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by jazz77 (Post 14549352)
Count me in. I'm assuming I would be able to use my Paypal account?

Yes they do :)

mecdac 08-01-2014 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Apocalypse (Post 14549328)
So are we up to 30 now? Medcac is buying mine and like 15 others now so what are we up to?

^^^ No Smilies ^^^^^

Uh no, I am paying for two (2) only.

Looks like nine total?

Pele 08-01-2014 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Apocalypse (Post 14547857)

After looking at the instructions above, I agree.

tsmall07 08-01-2014 08:37 AM

Definitely not a jack point, but very cool. Not the right time for me right now, however.

Apocalypse 08-01-2014 10:53 AM

Mecdac, you are seriously in for 2. Just making sure.

EDIT: Just re-read your previous post again (and paid it actual attention) so I got you down for 2 now :) What's the zip for the set bound for Houston?