Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Very high EOT with new Oil Cooler (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1282061-very-high-eot-with-new-oil-cooler.html)

jswartz84 11-29-2013 11:31 AM

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/...214509_996.jpg

Originally Posted by BryanStein (Post 13790636)
Thanks, Justin. That was the thread I was looking for. How did you find it?

It sure would be nice to be able to replace the valve without having to replace the whole oil filter base.

I just happened to remember his name from following the thread.

I spoke with my local International dealer who was very helpful about this same thing about a year ago.

jswartz84 11-29-2013 11:33 AM

1847059C96 is the part number

Bullitt390 11-29-2013 11:39 AM

Damn, I'm in Rep Prison for ya jswartz

Josh

jswartz84 11-29-2013 11:42 AM

He said it included all the springs, bolts, valves, and orings to rebuild a filter base.
I never bought it because I didn't think I needed it after reading more about it(my deltas are 9 with a brand new oil cooler and 9 with the old one). Anyhow, I want to say he quoted me $120 or $180 for the kit and nothing can be bought individually.

Bullitt390 11-29-2013 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by jswartz84 (Post 13791356)
He said it included all the springs, bolts, valves, and orings to rebuild a filter base.
I never bought it because I didn't think I needed it after reading more about it(my deltas are 9 with a brand new oil cooler and 9 with the old one). Anyhow, I want to say he quoted me $120 or $180 for the kit and nothing can be bought individually.

Oh that part number is for the entire base. Bummer that relief valve cannot be purchased seperately.

Josh

jswartz84 11-29-2013 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bullitt390 (Post 13791390)
Oh that part number is for the entire base. Bummer that relief valve cannot be purchased seperately.

Josh

He even had a price breakdown and the relief valve was only $4.

BLADE35 11-29-2013 02:00 PM

I wonder if the EGR Cooler Blew out lost the Coolant then it overheated and with High EOT could have weakened the Bypass Spring??

Bullitt390 11-29-2013 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by BLADE35 (Post 13791693)
I wonder if the EGR Cooler Blew out lost the Coolant then it overheated and with High EOT could have weakened the Bypass Spring??

Weak spring from heat or pressure or scarred bore from trash would be my guess.

Josh

BLADE35 11-29-2013 02:51 PM

SO as I looked thru the Diagrams Last night what I couldn't figure out was this

All I can Figure is Output vs Demand Keeps LPO System under 20 psi most the Time so we Cool and Filter most the Time

The LPOP is regulated at 75psi Granted it don't produce that at Idle

But if the LPO System is regulated at 75psi and All these Bypass are regulated Far LESS What stops it from constant Bypass of the Oil Cooler and the Oil Filter (Supply vs Demand? IDK what else it could be)

The Oil Cooler bypasses @ 20psi
The Oil Filter bypasses @ 25psi

Why am I now getting the feeling we are Bypassing oil a lot more then we think especialy on Accelerations

And The OEM Oil Cooler test that says to Go WOT then take the ECT & EOT at that point and check the Spread Is a BUST because with that Oil Pressure Odds are HIGH that all the Oil Just Bypassed the Oil Cooler. The reading isn't coming from Oil that Passed thru the Oil Cooler

I see exactly why we have that Sump Screen now
Its the Only Filter we have in certain senereos

How do you guys take this?????????????????

BLADE35 11-29-2013 03:01 PM

So this Means when you Take EOT that it must be Done at a Point when LPO is Under 20 PSI so the Cooler isn't bypassed

Make sense does to me anyways

So LPO PSI comes into play when checking EOT
Im thinking ANY WOT Oil Cooler test is a Bust at this Point and can be thrown OUT

Looks to be setup in a Way that when you go WOT Nothing Else matters but Oil to the HPOP Basicaly is the Goal

BryanStein 11-29-2013 03:01 PM

She said the fans turned on a lot before the HGs blew. Thus, I suspect this was an issue before the repairs.

The valve is supposed to open when the oil pressure at the cooler is 25 psi higher than the oil pressure in the filter housing. Speculation is this happens when the oil is cool. I believe that tobe true. The intent us not to starve the system for oil if the cooler is plugged on the oil side. But, I can't say I could ever see a sequence of events when the oil cooler is plugged on the oil side.

It's one more thing to check when doing an oil cooler job.

From the digging I've done, a worn brass shaft is not uncommon. I wonder how many oil coolers get replaced and the deltas are not looked at afterward. I also can't find just the brass valve by itself, or a way to check this before replacing the oil filter base. I guess one could shim the spring to help close the valve and run the truck to check the deltas. I don't know why that would not work.

Jswarts84, are you inferring you can buy just the brass valve with rubber seal and spring from international without buying the complete oil filter base?

Bullitt390 11-29-2013 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by BLADE35 (Post 13791813)
So this Means when you Take EOT that it must be Done at a Point when LPO is Under 20 PSI so the Cooler isn't bypassed

Make sense does to me anyways

So LPO PSI comes into play when checking EOT
Im thinking ANY WOT Oil Cooler test is a Bust at this Point and can be thrown OUT

Looks to be setup in a Way that when you go WOT Nothing Else matters but Oil to the HPOP Basicaly is the Goal

It's a DIFFERENCE of 20 psi.

Most filters are in bypass on cold starts, I would reckon the oil cooler is no different.

Josh

BLADE35 11-29-2013 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bullitt390 (Post 13791827)
It's a DIFFERENCE of 20 psi.

Most filters are in bypass on cold starts, I would reckon the oil cooler is no different.

Josh

Oh well that's a Huge Game Changer

your Correct went back and reread it

Bennys reading to fast again

1 Dang Word LOL

BLADE35 11-29-2013 03:12 PM

Yes that Makes Better Sense Now

I had a Feeling I was Overlooking something

It just didn't seem right to bypass like that

BryanStein 11-29-2013 03:13 PM

Blade, you just nailed it as I understand it. Perhaps that's why the eot increases so much when going from 70 to 80 mph and pulling grades. The oil is potentially bypassing the oil cooler because the DEMAND for oil is too high to keep the differential pressure below 20 psi. That's the kind of thing international had to analyze when they established the 20 psi oil pressure differential requirement. It's all about how much oil demand there is as compared to the supply. For all we know, the valve operates continuously because the supply rarely drops below the demand. That's the way I would have designed it. Those passenges from the oil cooler through the bypass valve aren't big enough to allow much oil flow.

However, I'm much more interested in how to check the oil cooler bypass valve function to determine if it should be replaced. Seems a lot of them show wear. The only way I know to check is as I outlined above. I've read some information that the spring strength either doesn't seem to be measurable or the spring is not the issue. It appears the issue is more about the wear on the brass plunger shaft holding it open or the rubber gasket not sealing that is causing oil to bypass than should.