Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   4 inch exhaust for ecoboost? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1115380-4-inch-exhaust-for-ecoboost.html)

1tuff250 11-18-2011 10:20 AM

I wonder if "true dual" exhaust would sound good ??? OR would it sound twice as bad !!

ReForder 11-18-2011 11:02 AM

I think a true dual exhaust on this motor would sound bad, imho. V8s sound fantastic with that setup, with a nice little x-pipe in the middle, but not on this motor.

Dynomax Exhaust 11-18-2011 11:17 AM

Solid advice. Aluminzed is fine for dry climates/vehicles that are more pampered ie muscle/sports cars. Look to a SS muffler and/or a SS system. Many companies are now offering lifetime warranties (something we have been doing for years) hold on to that receipt though. Good luck on your choice.

Originally Posted by meborder (Post 11039280)
I'll offer an anticdote to think about with regard to replacing your stock exhaust with something made of aluminized pipe.

3 years and 35,000 miles ago I replaced the stock exhaust on my exploder with something more aggressive sounding. Straight through 2-into-1 muffler and a new tail pipe, which was made of aluminized pipe.

Today, i get to choose whether to spend the 200 bucks all over again, or just listen to the horrible "leaky air tank" sound i have coming from under my truck.

If i had it to do all over again, i'da told them to throw the stock exhaust in the back so i could put it back on now. The stock pipes were fine, i just wanted something different.

just something to think about.

adamsre 11-18-2011 01:28 PM

Ok, what about buying the SS muffler of my choice and getting some SS tubing to replace the resonator. What size exhaust is on the stock ecoboost 2.5" or 3"? Do I purchase t304 or T409?

Beechkid 11-18-2011 02:34 PM

Exhaust system material thickness should be no less than 16 gauge- double-walled pipe was commonly available through the 1970’s until manufacturers began seeking ways to reduce costs. Many of the “Muffler Chains” who marketed lifetime warranties always used double-walled pipe before “stainless steel” became the “in-crowd”. If a shop had it available, I would choose double-walled aluminized coated steel or 14 gauge stainless steel (depending on environmental conditions or personal tastes) - it is very quiet, solid and in terms of costs, pipe is pretty cheap, depending on length, 16 gauge aluminum coated runs about $11 to $20 wholesale (depending on diameter), stainless about double for the same gauge.

Conanski 11-18-2011 02:54 PM

OMFG!! :-X14 ... that is the lamest truck sound I have ever heard. Ford got it right guys, the Ecoboost should be seen and not heard.

Originally Posted by SabreFX4 (Post 11047642)

ReForder 11-18-2011 05:53 PM

I think the stock exhaust is just under 3" OD, at least it is at the tailpipe.

Rancho Suspension 11-18-2011 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by adamsre (Post 11052372)
Ok, what about buying the SS muffler of my choice and getting some SS tubing to replace the resonator. What size exhaust is on the stock ecoboost 2.5" or 3"? Do I purchase t304 or T409?

T409 is preferred because a bit easier to work with but T304 is good as well. We use a lot of T409 in our systems. Not too sure on the stock size honestly yet, haven't seen or got the info yet. Often people with newer cars tend to care more about their vehicles so go this route. I also know lots who just cut out the stock muffler and throw in the appropriate muffler to open up the system. Keep that receipt close.

VernL 11-18-2011 08:40 PM

With my Grand National (3.8 turbo V6) with mild to moderate cam and stainless steel 2.5" straight through type muffs its sounds great at idle. Like a nicely cammed small block with some compression. But off idle its just ok because its a V6. On boost however its actually quieter but sounds great because you can also hear the turbo. Having a good blowoff valve(s) that lets you hear the turbo(s) is possibly more important to getting some head turning big grins sound.

You don't need more than a 3" downpipes and 2.5" straight thru type muffs to get to the point of a near zero backpressure or loss system unless you making over an honest 500HP.

Rancho Suspension 11-18-2011 08:44 PM

Grand National :-X07 One of the first cars I drooled over in a garage in my early 20's. The kid was so privildged and so cool to hang out with.

Originally Posted by VernL (Post 11053883)
With my Grand National (3.8 turbo V6) with mild to moderate cam and stainless steel 2.5" straight through type muffs its sounds great at idle. Like a nicely cammed small block with some compression. But off idle its just ok because its a V6. On boost however its actually quieter but sounds great because you can also hear the turbo. Having a good blowoff valve(s) that lets you hear the turbo(s) is possibly more important to getting some head turning big grins sound.

You don't need more than a 3" downpipes and 2.5" straight thru type muffs to get to the point of a near zero backpressure or loss system unless you making over an honest 500HP.

ReForder 11-18-2011 08:53 PM

Let's not forget there are twin turbos on the EB motor, and running a single 2.5" pipe would most likely produce some backpressure. The stock pipe diameter is almost 3", so why go smaller?

VernL 11-19-2011 07:58 AM

Downpipes plural, muffs plural, nobody said anything about routing it together into a single pipe. :)

ReForder 11-19-2011 09:50 AM

Indeed Vern...yet nobody said anything about 2.5" on dual pipes either. Still..why go smaller than what's on the truck now?

I think the magnaflow 4" system is fantastic, just not the choice of materials. So if you're making your own, why not mimic that system with better piping of your choice rather than routing true duals, of which most will be custom bends and fabrication?

simenad 07-14-2014 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by fonefiddy (Post 11047332)
FWIW, 4" is overkill for the EB.

Read some Testing done on Diesels. Anything over 5" is jsut bling on 90% of the 400 CI+ Diesels. They gain no advantage on the Dyno with larger exhausts.

I'd stay away from ANY exhaust that is not full SS.

sound is a benefit but 40 hp and 50fl/lbs of torque is a reason. no exhaust system in the world can do that to a naturally aspirated v8. PS it may not sound like a v8, its sounds powerful instead.:-blah

taxgod4u 07-14-2014 01:27 PM

I personally don't like the sound of a piped V6, never did, but do own a egoboost and just love passing the V8 guys like they are missing shifts.

Is there an aftermarket pipe/muffler combo that will release additional power without the additional sound for the EB?