Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum39/)
-   -   Buildup!! 06 crown vic front suspension into 67 F100 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/716058-buildup-06-crown-vic-front-suspension-into-67-f100.html)

carcrafter22 06-06-2008 06:02 PM

My shift patter on the 79 steering column I use doesnt match the 700R4 either. I did play around with it the other day and noticed that I can take the shift patern assembly apart very easy and take the clear plastic with the pattern on it out. I plan on marking the location of each gear on the platic then going to a print shop and haveing them make me a clear sticker the same size that has the correct shift pattern spacing. I will then remove the factory shift pattern which comes off very easy with cleaner and install the sticker.This may sound complicated but its very simple and shouldnt take more than 15 minutes to get it mocked up then have them print the sticker and thats it. This is also the only way I know to make it work. Let me know if this doesnt make sense or you need help with it.

Randy

carcrafter22 06-06-2008 06:04 PM

Oh yeah everyone I was called out to work last night so the video will have to wait about 7-10 days sorry I wish I could have it up sooner but gotta pay the bills.

Dirt racer 06-07-2008 04:30 AM

Nice looking project, did a 85 tbird on a 81 crown vic frame in the 90's. Looking at a newer frame for my 67 cougar. Liked your ideas!!!!

carcrafter22 06-07-2008 11:01 PM

I was trying to find a way to fit this front end into my 66 mustang but its just too wide. I guess I need to learn to weld cast aluminum. :)

Can you say PROJECT!!!

tankrsc 06-08-2008 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by carcrafter22 (Post 6235924)
I was trying to find a way to fit this front end into my 66 mustang but its just too wide. I guess I need to learn to weld cast aluminum. :)

Can you say PROJECT!!!

Use the K-member from a Fox. It aint aluminium but it gives a lot better front end.

carcrafter22 06-08-2008 09:58 AM

Still too wide I would have to mod it a well I figured why not go aluminum. I have been looking into a miller dynasty 200DX tig welder for a while now I figure that project is just the excuse I need to buy it. LOL

tankrsc 06-08-2008 08:17 PM

Hey I'm with ya on that one:-drink any excuse:-banghead I mean reason to get more tools :-headbang

Shorty 66 06-08-2008 10:02 PM

FYI cast aluminum is a PITA to weld especially if it is not fresh cast aluminum, one that has been in a car and had all the road debri on it even well cleaned it would be tough, and i'm not sure how strong it would be after is was welded. Just my $.02

663006 06-10-2008 07:52 PM

same setup 66 f100

hello this is an awesome write up. i was wondering i live in alvarado texas and am thinking bout doing this to my 66 shortbox. i have read your write up and from what i understand it should be basically the same for me to do this. questions i have are will this work with stock f100 power brakes system or do i have to upgrade to a newer system. i am going to have to change over to power brakes but f100 is a simple change. also are you driving this truck and if so is there a possibility we could get together so i could look at what you have done. i think i am going to use similar wheels on my 66 they sort of resemble the harley davidson wheels on the f250s. i have a 302 in my truck now how hard are the motor mounts to fab up. also would a 4.6 bolt right in this setup. just a few questions.
thank
ron

carcrafter22 06-10-2008 11:53 PM

lots of questions but I think I can answer them.

-yes this will work in a 66 f100
-you can use either manual or power brakes but I would just upgrade with hydraboost or a vaccum assist brake booster.
-I am not driving the truck yet but will be very very soon. I figure I have about 1 solid weeks worth of work and I will be driving.
- the motor mounts are easy to fab up for the 302 and even easier for the 4.6 since that engine was bolted to the crossmember originally.

I dont mind if you want to come over to my house and look at the project as it sits right now. I have had several people come over to see it in person already. I live just a few minutes north of alvarado in burleson just off I-35. You can send me a PM on here and I will give you my number so we can get together if you want. I should be on my way home by thursday mid day so I can finally get back to work on the thing.

663006 06-11-2008 06:45 AM

can't seem to be able to pm you sorry. oh well i think with what i see and you have described i think i can handle this.

72-F100-4V 06-11-2008 05:20 PM

663006 ------ the 4.6 will bolt right in, no need to fab any motor mounts. All of the cars with this front suspension came with the 4.6 liter 2 valve motors. I think the newer years 2006 and newer probably have the 3 valve motors.
The 4.6 DOHC motors will even fit, Cobra, Mach 1, Marauder!! You just need 2003-04 Mercury Marauder motor mounts. I just got mine from Rock Auto for $104 for the pair shipped.

663006 06-11-2008 09:56 PM

thanks man in yalls opinion would you run a 4.6 or 5.0 in this truck. keep in mind i already have a 5.0 with aod in it now. just wondering what are the pros and cons of the 4.6 vs. the 5.0.

carcrafter22 06-11-2008 10:16 PM

If I couldnt get my hands on a diesel (I had to say that :D) I would go with the 5.0. I know the 4.6 is a decent engine but I think they make power higher in the rpm range and the aftermarket parts just arent there compared to the 5.0. I also have heard that the mileage isnt that great with the 4.6, I know the 5.0 isnt really any better though. I also like the idea that you already have the 5.0 so its already cheaper and you dont have to deal with that nightmare of a wiring job not to mention getting a different trans and possibly driveshaft. Oh yeah you can convert a 5.0 to fuel injection easy and for really cheap trust me I have done it many times. The first time I converted my 66 mustang to EFI I did the whole job for $400 and that included the engine and trans. :-O If you want to go for wow factor then I would install the 4.6, you can find complete running crown vics with smashed or worn out bodies for cheap. About 4 monts ago I found a 2006 crown vic cop car with the aluminum front crossmember and only 30,000 miles for $1800.00 but the rear end was smashed into the rear seat of course that didnt matter to me I wanted everything else

If you need help with anything let me know in this thread or try and pm me again later and I will try and help ya anyway I can.

Randy

663006 06-12-2008 04:48 AM

hey carcrafter i do have a bit of a problem i can't seem to find a crown victoria front suspension. i found the rear i need. do you have any advice as to where to look. i checked the local junkyards and 680 is the lowest price i can come up with. sounds a little high to me. still cheaper than the mustang 2 setup. thanks again
ron