Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum39/)
-   -   Buildup!! 06 crown vic front suspension into 67 F100 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/716058-buildup-06-crown-vic-front-suspension-into-67-f100.html)

carcrafter22 04-18-2008 11:53 AM

Hi everyone, I am sorry I havent added any updates I came back into town only to be sent riight back out again so I didnt get any measurements of the front end.

One questioin:

Would you guys want to see the rest of my build in this thread or should I start another thread?

When I say the rest of the build I mean the rear axle ,the brakes ,the steering column, motor mounts, diesel engine, overdrive trans and much more. I would like to see if we could crack 10,000 views that would be cool. LOL ;)

jsutton 04-18-2008 11:56 AM

I vote to keep it all in this one thread. I can't wait to see some more pics.

tankrsc 04-18-2008 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by carcrafter22 (Post 6055009)
Hi everyone, I am sorry I havent added any updates I came back into town only to be sent riight back out again so I didnt get any measurements of the front end.

One questioin:

Would you guys want to see the rest of my build in this thread or should I start another thread?

When I say the rest of the build I mean the rear axle ,the brakes ,the steering column, motor mounts, diesel engine, overdrive trans and much more. I would like to see if we could crack 10,000 views that would be cool. LOL ;)

Keep it going :-fire

doc_f250 04-18-2008 03:28 PM

More pics in this thread would be cool.....

snrusnak 04-18-2008 10:07 PM

I agree with keeping everything in this thread, but maybe have the title changed. I think Im gonna go to the yard tomorrow at some point so Ill get some measurements and post them if anyone is interested.

carcrafter22 04-19-2008 10:06 AM

ok I will keep it all in this thread.

Will the mods change the name maybe " Buildup, 06 crown vic front suspension with diesel engine into 67 F100"

boy I sure need to get home I still have much to do but if I could get all the parts I need gathered up I think I could get it running in 2 weeks time.

tankrsc 04-19-2008 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by snrusnak (Post 6057138)
I agree with keeping everything in this thread, but maybe have the title changed. I think Im gonna go to the yard tomorrow at some point so Ill get some measurements and post them if anyone is interested.

I'm interested8D

Dragmatic 04-22-2008 06:54 AM

Okay so this mod has really been running through my head since I read this post. I've been doing some thinking on it though and I've got a few questions. If you were to install this crossmember and were interested in laying frame on your truck wouldn't you have to "Z" the frame in the front to raise the crossmember? Also ahs anyone thought about what it would take to bag one of these? Is it cups like in a Ranger or strut bags?

I'm very interested in something like this because I had honestly began to lose motivation on this thing.

jsutton 04-22-2008 08:25 AM

Looking at this picture it's just cups and bags because you can see the cups inside the crossmember. http://i25.tinypic.com/316ntxh.jpg
Here's a pic of the whole truck http://i25.tinypic.com/jsg187.jpg

I don't have any information about that truck I just noticed the crown vic suspension when I looked at the picture.

snrusnak 04-22-2008 08:31 AM

To answer your first question: You could notch out the frame as to recess the crossmember into it, rather than "Z"ing the frame, I think notching would be much easier and you wouldn't compromise the frame strength, but there would be some issues, like you would lose oil pan to crossmember clearance, and you can't notch too far or the frame will be weak, unless you strengthen it somehow. On my 81, the frame rails aren't straight, they curve up a little where the crossmember will be going and then back down after the crossmember, and even though I won't be laying it out, it probably would clear the crossmember. On a side note, I'm still trying to get the the junk yard, I went to one on monday morning and the car they had the previous week was gone, so I'll try another yard hopefully this weekend, I'm very anxious to get all these measurements so I can see just how easily it will swap into my 81.

microb 04-25-2008 12:53 AM

How's it coming along carcrafter? I got my 04 grand marquis ifs sitting in the garage, and I'm going with a 94 mark viii rear that I got for $150 with they 8.8 differential. It's a few inches shorter than the crown vic front, but wheel adapters to change to 5x4.5 will make up some of it, and wheel offset will account for the rest. I'm thinking about going with these wheels: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/pr...mint.large.jpg
16x6.5 in the front, and 18x8 in the back. Many of the MB wheels are available in high positive offset which is needed using the crown vic front. I also like the stock Marauder wheels which are high offset, but then I would need another method of making up the extra width in the back since they are all the same offset. Do you foresee having any clearance problems with the front wheels?

Mike

Dragmatic 04-25-2008 01:01 AM

I just wish I could even find a complete IFS to use in mine here in NC. I found one in Greensboro but the yard had pulled it completely apart and all the separate components would have cost me nearly $700.

WarWagon 04-25-2008 03:23 AM

I like it.......... Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

microb 04-25-2008 01:41 PM

Dragmatic, try car-part.com
For part select "engine cradle" because front suspension is not listed, and front axle will normally return no results. Select "USA" for region and sort by "distance" from your zip code. This is a great junkyard database that alot of yards list inventory on. Even if you find one up to 300 miles away for a really good price you might pay 100-150 freight shipping, but could still come out getting a good deal. I did a quick search using the greensboro zip and found several results. Give these guys a call 1-800-586-5492, they showed 6 listed for their yard and it's about 200mi away in virginia. I had the same problem finding a yard that hadn't already stripped it down. I'm sure if you keep searching you will have some luck. I live in middle of nowhere, ND and ended up getting mine shipped freight from a yard in Minneapolis about 300mi away. Good Luck, and I'm guessing you will be able to score what you need with that number above.

Mike

CN Spots 04-25-2008 03:36 PM

Excellent site microb! Thanks for posting.