Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   1988 F350 4x4 Build Thread (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1265155-1988-f350-4x4-build-thread.html)

Truck Guy99 12-18-2013 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by F0RR35T (Post 13856408)
Edit: Just read the ignition post too. It's most likely the linkage that connects the ignition key thing to a push rod thing.. hard to explain but its a common problem. An easy temporary fix is to remove the two plastic pieces around the column where it goes into the dash and you'll see a pushrod on top. WHILE you turn the key like you were gonna start it, push that rod towards the dash. I know because I have to do it every day... they want like $90 for a friggin new one.

Wow. I tried that earlier today after reading it. I pulled off the plastic around the steering column and I saw the rod you spoke of. I put a pair of vice grips on and turned the key. It started! I drove it around the pasture and it ran good.

Maybe I'll keep it. I put it on craigslist to see what I'd get for cash offers or trades. We'll see what happens. I might keep it but if I can get a dually or a diesel or maybe an old muscle car. I'd like to keep it but I'd like something new. We will see

BigBlockF350 12-18-2013 10:17 PM

Glad you diagnosed the ignition thing.

If you sell it, just don't do it in a moment of frustration or you may regret it.

I know what you mean about getting something newer. It can be nice, but I also love being able to do all of the maintenance on these older trucks easily and cheaply. Totally up to you and your financials.

75Three90 12-18-2013 10:23 PM

Tye I just read your entire build thread. I'm only 22 and have been where you are and have sold vehicles I regret I had a truck almost like yours but swb 2wd and I sold it cause I couldn't afford the gas I have regretted it since. Knowing what I know now I would have kept that truck and bought a beat around car. I kick myself in the ass everyday for selling that truck.

P.S. I'm Robert and I too am a TEXAS REDNECK

Truck Guy99 12-18-2013 10:58 PM

I know what ya mean about the maintenance and mechanical part. I am not getting anything newer than an OBS. I like having something I can work on. I change my own oil, rotate my own tires, do my own mechanical repairs (most of the time) do my own detailing, everything. If I have the tools to do it, I do it.

I originally planned to swap in a 1st generation Cummins because they are simple, get good fuel mileage, and take 3 wires to run. To put one in this truck I calculated to be about 3 grand if I do all of the work myself except the welding. If I had the cash to buy a donor and some engine mounts, I would start wrenching out that 460. Unfortunately, I can't come up with that kind of cash. I am already on my 4th truck, so it's not very sentimental to me. I love the truck, and I may keep it, but I am really shooting for a diesel. I'm just testing the waters to see what I can come up with. An OBS powerstroke would be great

75Three90 12-18-2013 11:49 PM

Power stroke is expensive to work on. Another this is calculate what money you have in this truck and include your original buying price and see what you come up with then look at the trucks you want and expect to put that money you just figured up into that truck at least with this truck you know what have

BigBlockF350 12-19-2013 08:14 AM

Since your cash situation seems to be tight, you might want to look into an IDI diesel. Good mileage, cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain. If you want more power, they're also pretty cheap to mod.

F0RR35T 12-19-2013 08:54 AM

Mine is an 89 f250 7.3 IDI NA. They made a turbo IDI as an option in 93 and 94.. so I've been looking for one of those to pull the turbo off of.. it's a bolt on upgrade.

Edit: Oh and that's my friends 96 Powerstroke in the background.. it has a utility bed and ladder rack. He sold it for $3,600.
http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3f7119bc.jpg

Truck Guy99 01-23-2014 04:05 PM

I haven't updated in quite a while. I still have the truck. I got offered a 75 mustang, a jeep cherokee (was a P.O.S!), and an 85 4x4 Chevy.

I decidedI'm gonna keep it. I got a ranch hand rear bumper for Christmas. In early January of 2014, I went mudding on a back road with some friends. I drove for two hours without any issues and I went through another muddy hole and the bump made my steering column break loose. The wheel was resting on my lap. The ignition wires tore loose along with the ignition rod. My steering shaft was still holding on, but that was it. I ended up having to stall the truck out and get towed home (by a Chevy!) I get home with it and my ignition won't turn off. I ended up parking it and disconnected the battery. I look down at my feet and a spring and a small piece of metal were hanging out of the steering column. I'm currently on the hunt for another column. I have since moved to San Angelo and the truck is still at my old house. I am going to drive the truck to a friends house and park it there for a month or 2 until i can get it fixed and drive it down to San Angelo. If anybody has a steering column for a brick nose with a C6 trans please let me know

Here is how the truck sits

infinite-foamies 01-23-2014 04:15 PM

Glad to hear you kept it. These trucks deserve to be driven!

Truck Guy99 01-26-2014 12:35 AM

I got to drive it today and had a little fun with it on the way. After a jump start, big red fired first crank. It felt good to have some fun with my friends and drive my truck again. For now it is parked at a friends place. As soon as a steering column is located, more work will follow.

Took this one today. I'm the guy in the camouflage jacket

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/...5581979745.jpg

jayft8 01-26-2014 10:11 AM

Glad to see you having fun with the truck again, Tye.
I too have had the experience of being towed home behind a friend's Chevy.
I'm very fortunate to have the good friends that I do, but the humiliation was made all the more frustrating by having to look at one of those doggone 'Calvin pissing on a Ford oval' stickers on the back glass of my friend's Chevy staring me in the face all the way home while being tugged along at the end of his tow strap!
:mad: :'( x(

Redneckfordf2502002 01-26-2014 11:02 AM

It is even worse when the truck is half your size. (when our 02 F250 had the fuel pump go out needed to move it out of the way and the neighbors Chevy S10 blazer 94 was elected.) But we did get him back when his 98 Chevy 2500 4x4 350 was to much of a pavement princess and the 86 F150 4x4 had to go to home depot for it. LOL.
Trav

ATC Crazy 01-27-2014 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Truck Guy99 (Post 13859108)

I originally planned to swap in a 1st generation Cummins because they are simple, get good fuel mileage, and take 3 wires to run. To put one in this truck I calculated to be about 3 grand if I do all of the work myself except the welding. If I had the cash to buy a donor and some engine mounts, I would start wrenching out that 460. Unfortunately, I can't come up with that kind of cash. I am already on my 4th truck, so it's not very sentimental to me. I love the truck, and I may keep it, but I am really shooting for a diesel. I'm just testing the waters to see what I can come up with. An OBS powerstroke would be great

Honestly, I wouldn't do the Cummins swap. You'd have $3k into an old, tired diesel.

Take that $3k and get a carb'ed 460 and take it to the machine shop. They should get you to a reliable 450HP...WITH a warranty on it.
Run circles around any stock Cummins...and don't have to worry about swapping out motor mounts, trans, radiators, exhaust, etc...

Truck Guy99 01-28-2014 12:59 PM

Here is my to do list for this year

Primary:

Replace steering column

Install dual exhaust

Replace fuel tanks and sending units

Secondary:
Install ranch hand rear bumper

Spray line truck bed

Paint entire truck black

Dually conversion

Moto Metal wheels

Skyjacker 6 inch suspension lift Skyjacker Suspension Lift Kits F860MKS - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

37 inch tires
[IMG]http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/...hb_600x450.jpg[/IMG]

Truck Guy99 02-18-2014 05:21 PM

I am getting my license soon! I plan to get the truck down here to San Angelo soon and I would appreciate some ideas! What you would add to it, what you would change, anything! All ideas considered!