Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   progress on my 56 frame.....Lexus IFS (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1141575-progress-on-my-56-frame-lexus-ifs.html)

lexcoe 03-13-2013 06:02 AM

So i have just sold my 57 Chevy wagon daily driver, and still super busy with the Thames build, but i have still been buying parts for my 56 Effie.

The castor i set with the frame levelled and lots of careful measuring and checking, however Kecky yes it can be adjusted by either shimming or milling the crossmember itself. As i am sure your aware there is no castor adjustment feature built into the unit.

I have decided to go with coil overs similar to what i setup on the Thames and ended up stepping up the front of the rails to get a super low stance with the lower control arms parallel to the ground. i will post some pics in the next couple of days.
Final ride height will place the running boards around 100mm (4 inches) from the ground, plenty low enough for a big ol 56 panel.
Bear with me guys, i will get back to it but in the meantime check out the Thames i am building with the same type Lexus IFS. cheers John

Project-55 03-13-2013 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by lexcoe (Post 12943716)
So i have just sold my 57 Chevy wagon daily driver, and still super busy with the Thames build, but i have still been buying parts for my 56 Effie.

The castor i set with the frame levelled and lots of careful measuring and checking, however Kecky yes it can be adjusted by either shimming or milling the crossmember itself. As i am sure your aware there is no castor adjustment feature built into the unit.

I have decided to go with coil overs similar to what i setup on the Thames and ended up stepping up the front of the rails to get a super low stance with the lower control arms parallel to the ground. i will post some pics in the next couple of days.
Final ride height will place the running boards around 100mm (4 inches) from the ground, plenty low enough for a big ol 56 panel.
Bear with me guys, i will get back to it but in the meantime check out the Thames i am building with the same type Lexus IFS. cheers John

John, That Thames looks like a big ol' monster and I love it. Can't wait to see it come together.

Kecky 03-13-2013 03:53 PM

"The castor i set with the frame levelled and lots of careful measuring and checking, however Kecky yes it can be adjusted by either shimming or milling the crossmember itself. As i am sure your aware there is no castor adjustment feature built into the unit."

Thanks for the reply. The coilovers in the Thames look great. I look forward to more posts on this one. This is a swap I am definitely considering. I have a friend with a low mileage LS400 that would be a perfect candidate.

Nice to see so many talented members here still.

Kevin

lexcoe 03-14-2013 02:22 AM

The Thames is is almost ready to have the engine and trans fitted, i am considering mounting it midships behind the cabin and under the flatbed.
Couple of benefits i can see, less noise, less heat, more room without intrusive engine covers in the cab, one piece tailshaft instead of two piece etc etc.
Any comments and suggestions for and against guys?

cheers John

Jeff and Nicolle 03-14-2013 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by lexcoe (Post 11482446)
Almost certain that the Lexus SC400 coupe is called the same in the US as here in Australia. The SC400 is the V8 version and in Oz the six cylinder is called a Toyota Soarer, not sure what its called in the US. John

Hey John, I finally saw one of these SC400's yesterday. running/ driving car, I could hear the V8
I don't know if I have ever noticed one before, of course I haven't been looking for any Lexus...my eyes are more trained to notice the cheaper models, like Ford Pinto's...

lexcoe 03-14-2013 06:09 AM

Hey Jeff, betcha never thought youd hear a Japanese sports car making V8 noises LOL. John

Jeff and Nicolle 03-14-2013 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by lexcoe (Post 12947453)
Hey Jeff, betcha never thought youd hear a Japanese sports car making V8 noises LOL. John

Yeah I was a little surprised! I thought maybe he dropped a 5.0 in it! LOL
I saw it again this morning and it was a real nice car!

maru_uk 04-01-2013 10:32 AM

Hi Lexcoe,

Really like the way the Lexus IFS fits. Do you know if the Lexus LS V8 has the same suspension setup front and rear? I can pick a whole on the road running car up for less than £500 which is about $750 US. The SC will cost me a whole lot more.

Mark

Jim 54 panel 05-21-2013 09:35 PM

Q about the fuel tank on the panel

Lexcoe:

I followed your thread for a while and just caught up with the end of it this week. Great work.

I'm rebuilding a 54 panel. Because of the time it spent in the field, I have to replace the tank. I have a question about your gas tank. I saw that you have kept the panel tank inside the frame, but have a big V8 up front.

I was thinking of going with a pickup tank outboard of the frame rails to make the exhaust install easier. I'm going to be using a Lincoln Mark VIII IRS. On the factory car, the dual pipes ran through the IRS on either side of the differential.

Is it possible to get a true dual exhaust using the panel tank?

Thanks and keep up the great work.

Jim

AXracer 05-22-2013 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jim 54 panel (Post 13183989)
Lexcoe:

I followed your thread for a while and just caught up with the end of it this week. Great work.

I'm rebuilding a 54 panel. Because of the time it spent in the field, I have to replace the tank. I have a question about your gas tank. I saw that you have kept the panel tank inside the frame, but have a big V8 up front.

I was thinking of going with a pickup tank outboard of the frame rails to make the exhaust install easier. I'm going to be using a Lincoln Mark VIII IRS. On the factory car, the dual pipes ran through the IRS on either side of the differential.

Is it possible to get a true dual exhaust using the panel tank?

Thanks and keep up the great work.

Jim

I have dual exhaust with stock panel tank on my 56 panel, CSB, T56 6 speed.

luckystiff 08-05-2013 12:50 PM

so I don't know if I just missed it or if it was never said. Do you have a measurement of the mount pad area. i.e. is there a target outside framerail width that this swap? hub to hub trackwidth? what diameter coilovers did you use on the Thames swap? We are an Afco(and several other) dealer so i'm sure finding something to fit wouldn't be hard.

i'm kinda interested in the possibility of doing the lexus swap in the 62 unibody I just picked up. jag swap is my first choice as I've done it before and know even for my desire to get it low I can notch the crossmember into the frame or step/Z the frame if need be. just curious if the lexus would be just as easy even considering my desired height....ken....

my 66 02-09-2014 09:16 PM

Has anyone heard from lexcoe lately is he ok, how is his project going?

lexcoe 02-10-2014 02:10 AM

I haven't been on here much apart from lurking, just haven't had the time.
I have taken a big step from working at home to opening my own shop, so finding suitable premises and everything else involved with that means no time for anything much of my own.
The Thames project is coming along nicely along with several others in the shop, and i have set aside a space for my 56 panel, just haven't moved it from home yet.
Buying a four post hoist (lift) was one of the best things i have done in a long time, what a back AND time saver.
If anyone has any questions fire away and i will try to help.

John

my 66 02-10-2014 08:16 AM

Glad to heir thing going well. I got a 4post lift, also best money spent.

Ponchopete 08-22-2014 10:44 AM

Lexus sc400 IFS what years work?

Hi there seen the photo of your your frame, that front suspension looks great, nice and clean. What years sc400 cross members will work?