Conversation Between sdetweil and 50Fiona
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 7 of 7
  1. sdetweil
    08-26-2014 07:18 PM - permalink
    Thanks. Looks so much better in person and in the sun.
  2. 50Fiona
    08-26-2014 05:29 PM - permalink
    Sounds like you put a lot of sweat equity and $ into it. And it looks great. Thanks for the feedback.
  3. sdetweil
    08-26-2014 11:46 AM - permalink
    I did all the body disassembly/assembly/staging.. all frame off. you can see all that in my gallery, The painting begins---and ends

I was lucky, and found a guy in the woods here in Texas that was willing to do this (bunch of local shops were not), and he only charged $25/hr. the local shops wanted $75 and I was not allowed to touch anything, or provide paint or supplies.

so paint and supplies was right around $5,000
  4. sdetweil
    08-26-2014 11:46 AM - permalink
    candy is very sensitive to changes in mix, temperature and painter arm motion. we did a lot of work to minimize those effects.. painted the inside of the cab and doors, door seams on cab. Mounted the doors on the cab, and then painted the outside of the cab as one. same for the front clip.

I wanted the underside of the fenders painted (that little section that shows when u look in the front fender and see the inside where it connects to the running board.. same for the rear.. anyhow..

this is 10 coats of paint on each shoot. 3 base, 4 candy, 3 clear. 15 minute flash time between.. so almost 2.5 hours waiting time on each shoot.. we had separate 9 shoots.. the material cost was just around $2000. House of Kolor Planet green metallic base BC-09 base and Organic green candy UK-09. $50ish a quart (tcpglobal.com). Plus the clear coat. right around 100 hours prep and paint time.
  5. 50Fiona
    08-25-2014 11:02 AM - permalink
    If you dont mind me asking, what did it cost to paint the truck excluding any body work.
  6. sdetweil
    08-23-2014 08:31 PM - permalink
    It's a beautiful paint! But hard to do. Makes a great show truck.. Don't want to get a rock chip tho!
  7. 50Fiona
    08-21-2014 01:18 PM - permalink
    After seeing the green paint job on your truck I think I know what color Im loving for mine. Very nice truck. Im jut getting started.