Conversation Between flattie39 and AXracer
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 3 of 3
  1. flattie39
    08-27-2015 12:51 PM - permalink
    Thanks for the info Ax - I really don't know but I've always thought it was a 1/2 ton. I'll check with the MF catalog and see if I can tell which leafs I still have and go from there. Thanks again, Ken
  2. AXracer
    08-27-2015 11:23 AM - permalink
    Ken, wasn't your truck a heavier duty model originally? If so removing leafs from the heavier springs will not produce the same results as starting with F100 springs. If they are F100 springs, look in the Mid Fifty catalog to verify the right leafs were removed. Sanding the spring leafs smooth (use belt sander sand ONLY lengthwise, wash with rust reformer, do not paint) then add the HMW plastic slider strip sold by MF (inexpensive, 1 roll will do both springs +) between leafs. After that, try as an experiment disconnect the shocks temporarily and drive it over rough road to see if they are too stiff valved. Unfortunately the F100 has only about 35-40% of it's weight on the rear axle unloaded, so unless you want to throw a few doz bags of sand in the back it's not going to ride like a Caddy.
  3. flattie39
    08-26-2015 08:06 PM - permalink
    Hey AX - My 54 still rides really stiff in the back, even after the PO removed 5 of the leafs. Can I make a softer ride in back by removing more leafs, and if so, which ones? I don't use it for hauling anything. Ken Clark (former welding classmate)