Conversation Between Slowpoke Slim and Louie-T
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 3 of 3
  1. Slowpoke Slim
    08-07-2016 05:51 PM - permalink
    What helps us is our truck's rated capacity is 3156 lbs. Due to the lighter 6.2, and an extended cab instead of a crew cab truck. I've seen F250's with crew cab, 4x4, and the heavier 6.7 diesel that have less than 2000 pounds for a truck weight capacity. Check those door jam stickers before you go truck shopping.

Our last trip was to Badlands/Mt. Rushmore/Custer, SD area. Drove just over 900 miles, 700 of that was with the 5er on, and just over 200 of that was solo sight seeing. We averaged 9.5 mpg on the whole trip. This was a mix of flat ground, rolling hills, and steep mountain grades. Averaged 65-70 mph on the flat grounds, and were able to at all times keep to posted speed limits in the steep grades.

Still as happy with my truck today as the first day I brought it home, and we love our new 5er. It's the first brand new RV we've ever bought. All others before this one were all used.
  2. Slowpoke Slim
    08-07-2016 05:50 PM - permalink
    I'm very happy with both the truck and the trailer. We bought the truck new in '12 with the intended plan of "someday" buying a TT to pull behind it. Fast forward a few years and that turned into a 5er instead. Then our plan was to buy one "maybe" 30 ft long and 10K gross. Well, we fell in love with this one and bought it new this spring. It's 34' long and 14K gross. At 10K dry weight though, we have no problem keeping the loaded weight down to 12K (just under actually).

Really the biggest concern is pin weight on the 5er, and rear axle/rear tire weight on the F250. We are barely under on ours, with trailer loaded to 11800, and a pin weight of 2520. That's measured at a CAT scale. Our "dry weights" when we brought the 5er home where 2300 on the pin and 10,280 for a total trailer weight.
  3. Louie-T
    08-04-2016 05:30 PM - permalink
    Hello Slim, my name is Lou. Im looking into a set up exactly like yours...how do you like the 6.2 with that fifth wheel. Nice looking setup !!