Conversation Between dyingtolive and nstueve
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 3 of 3
  1. dyingtolive
    11-24-2010 06:29 PM - permalink
    It also features "spark retard on start" which retards the timing while starting the engine to reduce the load on the starter. Now, I personally haven't had any experience with an MSD system, but like I said, you'll probably get more power out of it, so if that's what you want to do, I'd say go for it.
  2. dyingtolive
    11-24-2010 06:29 PM - permalink
    Most Ford F-Series trucks made from '84-'86 have the TFI ignition system, which includes the electronic feedback carburetor, and an engine control computer. F-Series trucks made from '76-'83 had the Duraspark II ignition system. Now, for some reason or another, the feeback carb featured with the TFI system never seems to run right, and using a standard carb with the TFI system produces bad performance and gas mileage. So, many people (including myself) have taken the feedback carb and TFI system out of our trucks ('84-'86) and replaced them with a standard carb and Duraspark II system from a '76-'83 because the Duraspark system is much more simple, reliable, and easier to maintain. Now, if you want to swap out to an MSD system, more power to you. You'll likely get more power out of an MSD system than the Duraspark, however, keep in mind that Ford spent a fortune to develop the Duraspark system, and it is probably the most reliable system out there.
  3. nstueve
    11-24-2010 10:30 AM - permalink
    what is this duraspark II conversion... I just noticed that the 83 I have has the duraspark box under the hood... also has duraspark wires... I was thinking of going MSD but not sure now that I read your SIG... Can you give me more details????