Conversation Between G Ford Fan and LxMan1
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 10
  1. LxMan1
    12-06-2013 02:17 AM - permalink
    Yes sir
  2. G Ford Fan
    12-05-2013 11:18 AM - permalink
    Hi LX,

Could you take a look at my post from yesterday and share your thoughts or opinions? I value what you say and respect your experience with the 5.4 Triton V8

Thanks,
    Greg
  3. LxMan1
    05-19-2010 03:28 PM - permalink
    Sounds good. i think the biggest problem with the suspension is leaky bags that go down while parked. I have converted many Lincolns over to springs. That would be my choice on the expy too if you start having problems.
  4. G Ford Fan
    05-17-2010 09:29 AM - permalink
    Thanks much Jimmy!

I actually found a very nice 2000 Eddie Bower 4x4 that I put a deposit on Saturday. It has under 100K (97K) and the body and interior seem very nice.

I'm very happy and excited to be a Ford Truck owner again (in the near future). They are GREAT trucks....and Great cars too.......they just seem superior to GM and Dodge to me and really, Honda and Toyota don't have anything on them anymore.

Anything to watch out for on a 2000 Eddie Bower? It does have the air suspension, which I don't perticularly care for, but if I have issues with that, I will probably try to replace it with the standard suspension (i hear that is the way to go?)

This one has the 5.4, so hopefully all will be well, it's a one owner and it's obvious that it was. I will repaint the rear track bar and the left side of the core support has some surface rust I am going to wire wheel and re-paint. The door bottoms have just some slight surface rust, but not bad at all....
  5. LxMan1
    05-15-2010 02:18 PM - permalink
    Greg, I can not think of any major issues with the first gen. I would check the front end out for ball joints and the like just to due to the mileage. If there is no sign of the head gasket leaking oil by now, it has either been fixed or isn't going to be an issue. I am pretty sure that the piston slap issue is just on the 5.4's due to the piston design and very long stroke. You might also take a quick look at the exhaust manifold studs to make sure none have broken off. Some do some don't. That's just kind of a crap shoot on those.
    Jimmy
  6. G Ford Fan
    05-13-2010 07:23 PM - permalink
    Is there anything else about the first gen Expeditions you think I should know about? I sure loved driving that X.....I hope it will fit in my garage, b/c I have an 80" minimum height clearance. I looked at two of them on a used car lot tonight (not this truck) and they were either 78 or 79" so I think I should make it with an inch to spare......cutting it close, but I think it will work. Well, any other advise you'd care to share, I'd appreciate it Jimmy.

Take care,
    Greg
  7. G Ford Fan
    05-13-2010 07:20 PM - permalink
    Thanks for the input Jimmy. Does the 4.6 have the cold-start knock (piston slap) problem that the 5.4's do? I remeber that the 99 superduty I had, had TERRIBLE cold start knock. It sounded like a diesel until it got some heat into it. I do not believe this 4.6 had that knock.....

It's not a perfect truck, but it just seems like the Fords hold up so much better when you look at the two with comparable miles......heck even comparing a 99 Yukon with 102K with this Expedition with 138, the body and interior in the X seem nicer.

I rember from my prior participation on this site, you were VERY knowledgable, so I'll take what you say to the bank. I've also heard the 4.6's do not have the head gasket leak issue that the 5.4's have, is that correct?
  8. LxMan1
    05-12-2010 03:27 PM - permalink
    They basically use the same heads. I personally know of nobody that has had a plug issue. You read about it on the net, but in reality it is a small percentage that have the issue. The biggest plug issue is either loose plugs or overtightened plugs that pull the threads out of the head since there are only 4 threads. This wasn''t corrected until mid 2003 model year. I prefer the 5.4L for the added torque in a heavy vehicle, but if it sounds good and runs good, I wouldn't be scared of it.

Jimmy
  9. G Ford Fan
    05-11-2010 10:21 AM - permalink
    Continuing from the prior message...
    I have heard that the 4/6 does not spit them as much as the 5/4, is that correct? I have a 2004 Ford Freestar SE that is nice and has 71K that the dealer will trade me even-up for the Expedition. The Freestar is nice, but they have terrible re-sale. I think it's a decent even-up trade with the fresh trans and a clean CARFAX and decent interior and body.

I have been a FORD man for some time and prefer the Expedition to the Tahoe or Yukon, they have the typical junky GM interiors and the power train (with the exception of the engine) does not seem as rhobust.

Am I being overly cautions about this deal? Should I be learly about the 4/6? It has all the power I need and this will be a spare vehicle for me.

Any help you could provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Greg
  10. G Ford Fan
    05-11-2010 10:21 AM - permalink
    LXMan - I had a few 5.0's back in the day and loved them. In fact, they are what turned me onto FORD to begin with. I used to participate in this site when I had a 99 Super Duty with the 5.4. I sold that a few years back, but I'm now considering a 98 Expedition with the 4.6.

I posted a few question, but I'm not getting any real help on this issue. I found a 98 Expedition XLT with 138K, but has a rebuilt trans, it runs good, but I worry about the modular V-8's because they are known to be plug spitters.