Conversation Between cstempert and subford
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 2 of 2
  1. subford
    07-07-2010 06:31 AM - permalink
    Sounds like you have a wiring or plug problem in the dash area. It may be a ground or a power supply problem. Could even be an arcing wire that is not shoring long enough to blow a fuse.
    The cluster itself is more than likely OK. But you could check the PC on the back to see if you see any arcing or burned places to make sure.
    Other have had this problem before and they have said it was a bad wire behind the dash. But they did not know any more than that as they always took it someplace to have it fixed. And that is all that they would tell them.

Good Luck on this one.
  2. cstempert
    07-06-2010 08:56 PM - permalink
    Holy cow, you sir are appear to ba a Ford genius.

Anyhow, I was reading a thread about instrument cluster errors as I am having issues with my 97 F-250HD (old body style). I get erratic fule guage issues, jumping needles, and disengaging/ erratic shifting. I have checked and replaces the VSS and tested all of the other input sensors and still have not hunted the problem down after 2 years or so. Tonight I find a place on online (Speedometer & Gauge Repair - Home) that repairs instrument clusters and indicated symptoms such as the problems I am having.

In your opinion, does this problem really a syptom of the instrument cluster? When I whack the dash, my problems go away, so i am guessing this is it, just don't know why??? I realize the post was rather old so pardon my inquiry if you don't recall
    Thanks in Advance though!