Conversation Between Crewcabber and Mark Kovalsky
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 7 of 7
  1. Mark Kovalsky
    10-20-2014 01:46 PM - permalink
    Low trans fluid can do that. Are you sure you have the level right? You have to check it warmed up, idling in park or neutral.
  2. Crewcabber
    10-20-2014 08:35 AM - permalink
    And the filter was sitting in the bottom of the pan for a while looked like
  3. Crewcabber
    10-20-2014 08:31 AM - permalink
    I did the trans service and everything is good nice smooth shifts until I put it underload then it goes hay wire. I drove up a small hill last night it always uses first the whole time well on the back side comong down it stayed in first it didnt kick out and coast. Down on the flat leaving the light it wouldnt shift out of first until i let off the throttle. Then it would shift and go between gears and slip then go into gear. I drove it easy for a few minutes and it started going back to normal. I parked for an hour and took it for a ride real quick and back to normal smooth shifts. I think the trans cooler is restricted and letting the atf get hot.the return line flow to the trans. Not even close to a quarter of a quart in 15 seconds
  4. Crewcabber
    10-17-2014 06:59 PM - permalink
    So if the tc clutch wouldnt cause the lack of power after it warmed up then my trans sounds like it is on its way out. I am going to drop the pan and see if the filter fell off and see if there is anything else i can see.
  5. Crewcabber
    10-17-2014 06:52 PM - permalink
    Thanks Mark everything I have read made it sound like the only way to drain the tc was to drain it by itself thru the bellhousing. Will i be able to see the front of he tc thru the hole in the bellhousing.
  6. Mark Kovalsky
    10-17-2014 06:45 PM - permalink
    If the clutch in the converter were slipping it wouldn't cause a loss of power when warmed up. When you drain the converter look at the front face of the converter, the one facing the engine. Is it a plain metal color, or does it have blueing, like you might see on a gun. If there is blueing the converter is slipping and needs to be replaced.

If you have changed the fluid in the trans then you have also changed the fluid in the converter. They share one fluid supply.

There are no additives that will help the transmission or torque converter.
  7. Crewcabber
    10-17-2014 06:28 PM - permalink
    Hello Mark you had commented on a post I had made in the 92-96 forum. I did some searches and some other forums popped up and you popped up all over them so I thought I would ask someone that knows these transmissions the best. Im having problems with my TCC slipping, I plan on doing a full trans service and draining the TC and refilling. the truck has 169,000 on her and I was wondering if the clutch in the tq was slipping would it make the truck run and have power before it is warmed up and once warmed up feel like it has an anchor towing behind it? I know the trans was serviced before I bought the truck but I do not know if the tc has ever been drained and refilled. Is there an additive I can add to give it a little more life before I buy the new TC and Trans rebuild Kit? Any help would be very much appreciated.