Conversation Between 70f100longbed and 04Mike
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 2 of 2
  1. 70f100longbed
    08-26-2014 12:16 PM - permalink
    The dull knock is caused by the phasers. They were redesigned in 2006 and can be identified by a "L" and "R" for the timing marks. The original phasers have a "L" and "l" fot the marks. The updated VCT solenoids wont hurt anything but with 163k I would recommend taking the timing cover off and replacing the chain tensioners and guides. The tensioners have a small rubber seal that seals to the head and every one that I have removed have had a blown out seal. That bleeds off oil pressure and can cause excessive wear on the chain guides. So new phasers, VCT solenoids, chain tensioners, and guides and you have almost addressed every failure point on the engine and should last another 163k miles
  2. 04Mike
    08-16-2014 05:17 PM - permalink
    I noticed in your sig that you mention the updated VCT solenoids. I have a 2004 Lariat with the 5.4 and it has 163k on it. I am the original owner. It seems to sound ok to me other than a dull knock sound after it has warmed up. I have used the MC 5W-20 and a FL-820S filter changed every 5k since new. I add about 1/2 qt after 3k to bring it back up to the full mark between changes. My question is..........It has the original VCT solenoids in it. I bought the newer "B" version. Would you advise me to change them out? After owning the truck for 10 years, I have decided to basically do a bunch of preventive maintenance in hopes it will last me to 200k or more. Thanks for any response as I can tell from your posts that you are very knowledgable on these trucks/engines.
    Thanks again,
    Mike Mathis