Conversation Between jk080 and 0500757Arf
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 5 of 5
  1. 0500757Arf
    08-16-2016 09:56 PM - permalink
    Wow! Just my luck I guess. Alright knowing that I doubt this trans is going back in the truck then, I'll get a cheap used one to throw in for now to run as I rebuild and beef this one up and just stay close to home just in case hahaha! Thanks so much for the help! Really appreciate it.
  2. jk080
    08-12-2016 09:52 PM - permalink
    Honesty it's one of the worst worn shells that I have seen, I have never seen them fail at that spot but it could happen. I would think if it fails it will create a lot of debris and this can make for a miserable rebuild.

I would either rebuild that one now and fix not only that but all the known failure spots and upgrades or run it till it fails and replace the whole transmission.
  3. 0500757Arf
    08-11-2016 09:01 PM - permalink
    Gotcha....so I may be looking at a rebuild in the future. On a scale of 1-10 how worn would you say that shell and direct drum are? The truck is just a weekend run around truck and won't be seeing crazy towing or anything so just trying to decide whether it's worth it to do all these trans upgrades while it's out and easy to work with or if that shell and direct drum are on their last leg and I should hold off til it finally goes for good and just do them all to a new transmission when the time comes.
  4. jk080
    08-10-2016 10:46 PM - permalink
    The picture behind the pump looks to be normal, I am assuming you are referring to the gap in the large snap ring.

The second picture show quite a bit of wear to the shell and direct drum and I agree that this is not a result of dropping the transmission. The transmission should still work but there may be some noticeable gear train slack. It would have to be completely disassembled to get to these parts.
  5. 0500757Arf
    08-09-2016 08:18 PM - permalink
    Hey I was referred to you about my transmission woes by a fellow member. Long story short I have a E4OD 4x4 trans that was dropped on its input side from a few feet in the air and it broke the stator shaft off the pump. Pulled the pump off & dropped the pan & found some areas that were concerning. 1st picture is of behind the pump, only piece that concerns me is the area circled. The 2nd picture is from inside the pan right above the shifter linkage inside the pan. It looks to be a rotational impact damage not a vertical drop impact damage but not sure. I'm completely ignorant in transmissions and was told you've been inside quite a few E4OD's so figured I'd get your personal opinion on the subject. Thanks a bunch!

http://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ford...076b8877f0.jpg

http://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ford...fbe4085dc8.jpg