Conversation Between nstueve and OneLong4x4
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 9 of 9
  1. OneLong4x4
    12-28-2012 10:13 AM - permalink
    Thank you! I had ball joints replaced and the guy doesn't do alignment but he said it needs it, and those offset cams on spindle. Can you give me a ballpark on cost of alignment if you remember or saved your receipt?

My truck is coming along SLOWLY. I need to finish some wiring for radio, and there's something draining battery all the time. And my steering column needs serious help. It has the pushbutton from PO. I have a dash key for it now to wire in. But want a column that doesn't have that bump out for key. You have any experience with that kinda thing? I have it torn down to about nothing and think I should find someone who can retrofit another simple column, no tilt, with cruise & turn signals only, floor shift. Might have to find someone who can cut/weld/fab.... Thanks - C.J.
  2. nstueve
    12-19-2012 09:21 AM - permalink
    Matt - Cumming repair 1/4 mile south of Prole, IA on west side of road. Looks like old farm with big white machine sheds. Sign out front in yard...
    515-210-1427
  3. nstueve
    12-19-2012 08:55 AM - permalink
    I'm actually south of Norwalk 4miles off hwy28... I don't really use the shops in DSM b/c they are usually too expensive and they haven't worked on older trucks like ours a lot... I take my truck down the road a mile to Cumming Auto Repair. Matt the owner has very fair and competitive prices, ASE trained, and his guys work on old farm truck like ours regularly. I just had him do my alignment last year and he did a fantastic job! He was also $250-$300 cheaper than anyone in DSM when my brother needed his Toyota Avalon fixed! I'm trying to find his number but it might not matter if you don't want to go that far south...
  4. OneLong4x4
    12-18-2012 02:46 PM - permalink
    Hi - you are in DM area, right?

Can you recommend an alignment/chassis shop for my '90 F150 4x4? I just had ball joints done on my truck and he says it will need an alignment now. Figured you might have a suggestion.

Thanks -
    C.J.
  5. nstueve
    12-20-2010 02:48 PM - permalink
    I have the same type of problem... i have a double garage and the misses takes up one of them so i only have one garage bay to work on stuff in. We are in the middle of looking for a house... Well she's looking for a house, I am looking for a morton builing I can heat! LOL
  6. OneLong4x4
    12-14-2010 04:24 PM - permalink
    It's been sitting awhile. I took out the seats since I wanted to put my leftover sub in it under the rear seat. So I was gonna lift up the back seat and build a box sometime. Now with the snow on the ground and the only place to work on it is outdoors it will probably sit until spring
  7. nstueve
    12-08-2010 03:48 PM - permalink
    so hows the truck coming? just got the engine swap over in the 83 done... unfortunatly i forgot to set the timing and cam gears correctly... oops... anyhow just givin you a shout to see how the truck is running!
  8. nstueve
    10-07-2010 11:11 AM - permalink
    Sure... I am doing a engine swap soon... I have a 83 from my father in law (FIL) and a 86... They both have 4.9 I6's... The engine is good in the white 86 and the body and drive line is good in the 83... so just doing a transplant... I should have more pics up on my profile today... I just got my 5th truck.

You are lucky to have the 87-91 4.9L like I have... they produced the most HP and TQ of all the 4.9L's 80-96! (Stock that is...LOL) Don't suppose you have a spare engine stand do you??? My 351w is on my only stand right now...
  9. OneLong4x4
    09-13-2010 03:47 PM - permalink
    Hi -

I noticed you are from DM, IA. I live out west of DM at Dallas Center. I enjoyed looking at your photos of your projects. I've got a '90 F150 XLT Lariat. Ext. cab, long box, 4x4. 4.9 I-6 w/ 5-speed. I like to tinker and have been fixing lots of the "little things" on my truck. I'm willing to be a helping hand if you've ever got a need for help.

Thanks -

C.J.